Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices

Options
  • 23-12-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Just filled up my rental car for 27 dollars today in Florida. Price of unleaded is at its all time low. Ford 1.6 and light was just in red.

It's no laughing matter how much we are paying in Ireland. It's obvious it's coming into Ireland cheaper than before so who is making up the difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Slanty wrote: »
    Just filled up my rental car for 27 dollars today in Florida. Price of unleaded is at its all time low. Ford 1.6 and light was just in red.

It's no laughing matter how much we are paying in Ireland. It's obvious it's coming into Ireland cheaper than before so who is making up the difference?

Gubberment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Taaaaaaaax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

We should be on less than a euro a litre here now. Complete rip off.

Lads it's also to do with the exchange rates. The Euro has slid against the dollar in value in the last year. Crude is sold in USD.

57a50a2048229d8513ead0637aac31b0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

My brother filled up his 535i in new York for $40 now I don't know how empty it was but it took 14 gallons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Two thirds of what we pay at the pump is tax. Welcome to Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Just filled up my rental car for 27 dollars today in Florida. Ford 1.6

Surprised you managed to find a 1.6 in the States!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They do a 1.6 ecoboost in the US focus anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Here is a handy website for cheapest garages in Ireland

www.pumps.ie

The prices in Ireland are mostly due to tax but the strengthening USD means prices are not as low as they should be.

The price of oil doesn't always reflect what prices should be at the pumps, the cost to refine petrol and diesel are also a contributing factor and demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

I work in the UK, its also relatively expensive there keeping the same USA cheap why not here logic.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/petrol-prices-could-fall-one-4866550

I would like $40 dollar fill ups very much....

Excessively cheap prices will mean more wastage, and unnecessarily big engines being purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

at the end of the day tax is taken one way or the other.

Also, in the USA the social welfare system and public health system suck - and I mean really really suck. Children's allowance or unemployment benefit after a year? Forget it.

Hence they have a very small public heath and social welfare budget - here its almost 40% of the tax take!!

In the USA, property tax is way way higher than here as are water charges.

Overall, after living both in USA and Ireland, its a fairer system here.

On fuel - USA is in US gallons (3.8 litres) and there is very little tax - though findng a car that does more than 40 to agallon is near on impossible.

On fuel price itself at current price of $61 and dollar at $1.21 here is the approx breakdown

Raw oil - 32c
    Refinery cost 8c for petrol, 13c for diesel (changes with demand and seasons)
    Duty - 59.6c for petrol, 49.4c for diesel
    Retailer & distrbutor costs & profit - 10c-11c combined
    and add Vat @ 23% on top of all that.

Basically if the dollar stayed the same and oil price went to $1 tomorrow, you would still be paying €1 at the pumps.

Likewise if it doubled to $120, price would rise just 40c (33c+vat) as all other costs except vat stay relatively constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

It is at 2.25 a gallon at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

delahuntv wrote: »
    at the end of the day tax is taken one way or the other.

Also, in the USA the social welfare system and public health system suck - and I mean really really suck. Children's allowance or unemployment benefit after a year? Forget it.

Hence they have a very small public heath and social welfare budget - here its almost 40% of the tax take!!

In the USA, property tax is way way higher than here as are water charges.

Overall, after living both in USA and Ireland, its a fairer system here.

On fuel - USA is in US gallons (3.8 litres) and there is very little tax - though findng a car that does more than 40 to agallon is near on impossible.

On fuel price itself at current price of $61 and dollar at $1.21 here is the approx breakdown

Raw oil - 32c
    Refinery cost 8c for petrol, 13c for diesel (changes with demand and seasons)
    Duty - 59.6c for petrol, 49.4c for diesel
    Retailer & distrbutor costs & profit - 10c-11c combined
    and add Vat @ 23% on top of all that.

Basically if the dollar stayed the same and oil price went to $1 tomorrow, you would still be paying €1 at the pumps.

Likewise if it doubled to $120, price would rise just 40c (33c+vat) as all other costs except vat stay relatively constant.

Don't forget the Carbon Tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

coolisin wrote: »
    My brother filled up his 535i in new York for $40 now I don't know how empty it was but it took 14 gallons.

Just over 50 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Excessively cheap prices will mean more wastage, and unnecessarily big engines being purchased.

I know you are an EV fan and all that but this is the motors forum. Unnecessarily big engines are what I dream about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Yay, so there is no downside!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Yay, so there is no downside!
    No. Well, almost. The wastage will come into play and will drive the oil price back up again. Surely, Americans will abandon their Priuses and go back to SUV's.

I wouldn't be rushing out buying 3.0L engines, We've seen how long cheaper fuel prices last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

€1.22 a litre here at my local station last weekend, down from €1.48 a few months ago.

Cheapest I've seen Diesel for here in Germany is 1.19.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I wouldn't be rushing out buying 3.0L engines, We've seen how long cheaper fuel prices last.

yeah, theres a lot more value for your tax in 4+ litre engines.

or if your feeling festive : http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bentley-arnage-6-75-turbo-red-label/7156584

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Seweryn wrote: »
    No. Well, almost. The wastage will come into play and will drive the oil price back up again. Surely, Americans will abandon their Priuses and go back to SUV's.

SUV's, as in the American pick up chassis with a passenger body as opposed to the overtall fwd hatchbacks we get here, evolved as an unintended consequence of emissions legislation, they sidestepped the regulations by being heavy enough to be classified as light trucks as opposed to cars.
    I've no doubt the current drop in oil prices is temporary and that when the upwards trajectory returns, a whole new unintended category of vehicles will emerge in the US in particular as a response to rising fuel prices, and they won't be priuses or should that be priii.

I highly doubt the U.S will discontinue their downsizing and reduced fuel consumption trend. The Government has set targets for fuel consumption.

You won't get many in Ireland buying more than the 1.6 diesel no matter how cheap fuel gets because the "road tax" is low.

You won't get many in Ireland buying more than the 1.6 diesel no matter how cheap fuel gets because the "road tax" is low.

I know people complain about that mindset but it also has to be accepted that our motor tax system is extortionate. Unlike anywhere else in the World as far as I can see.

I highly doubt the U.S will discontinue their downsizing and reduced fuel consumption trend. The Government has set targets for fuel consumption.

I posted in a thread ages ago that the average capacity of a new car in the EU was 1500cc. So this bull spouted by posters here that the small capacity engine are unique to Ireland is just rubbish.

Jesus. wrote: »
    I know people complain about that mindset but it also has to be accepted that our motor tax system is extortionate. Unlike anywhere else in the World as far as I can see.

It is a rip off on large cc engines but people stills have a choice.

Even if petrol was 60 c/l I doubt you'd see many people buying 3.0l engines because for most people it's not necessary.

Even if petrol was 60 c/l I doubt you'd see many people buying 3.0l engines because for most people it's not necessary.

You're right there.

But there'd definitely be a change. More half decent engines than the 1.4 daysul rattlers we have now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Jesus. wrote: »
    You're right there.

But there'd definitely be a change. More half decent engines than the 1.4 daysul rattlers we have now.

you'd at least see a change back from everyone going diesel to 1.4 litre hatchbacks and 1.6-1.8 litre saloons in petrol, rather than everyone doing the run to the shops once a week in a diesel and screwing up the dpf.

Advertisement