Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merry Christmas everyone

• 10-12-2013 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I know so many of you are DREADING a sober Christmas, I know those Budweiser horses are running merrily on their way on the TV soon, I know that others will be drinking around you, I know it seems like such a HUGE feat. I felt exactly the same. When I stopped drinking and Christmas approached, I felt no joy at it, no looking forward to it, because I was going to be sober, I felt like there was something missing and every time I felt myself thinking of a nice Christmas, I got a pang of regret because I would not be partaking in the festivities.

Except it did....I laughed and joked, I celebrated, I cooked and ate, I enjoyed my children's,relations & friends excitement with delight instead of endurance, I woke each morning over the season, sober, triumphant and clear headed. I realised how STRONG I was, I commended myself on getting through such a festive time without my crutch. I reveled in what I remembered and how much more I took notice of, I shuddered when I saw myself in the drunkenness of others and most of all I felt SO grateful that the spell had been broken for me...the magic of booze was gone and the realisation that drink DOES NOT make everything bigger and better and louder and more wonderful, it only seems that way especially when you have a glass in your hand.

A sober Christmas IS doable and it IS worth it. You WILL get through it and although it will seem strange at first, it will just be a “different” kind of Christmas and not a CRAP one....

Let this Christmas be the best Christmas ever and one you remember forever.

Merry Christmas Everyone :D:):):D:D:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Zauka

Thank you! Merry Christmas Everyone! I love you too!!!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

As Brendan Keneally says, Drink is a good friend but a terrible enemy. The behaviour of so many all in the name of craic and the regret and remorse the next morning. What a waste of life

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Merry Christmas to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

Don't understand how anyone can put that filthy poisonous drug into their body week in and week out.

although it is pure and simple behavioural reinforcement, everybody does it so it must be the norm and typical of Ireland, full of sheep, no one questions or thinks outside the box. pretty soon waking up and feeling like you went twelve rounds with satan is considered a standard saturday morning, and let's go do it again and feel even worse on sunday.

such a waste of a life.

don't let your christmas or your life be blurred behind the delusiononal shroud of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Happy Christmas everyone and thank you all for your support during the year, it REALLY helps to have somewhere like this to go to. I don't know any non-drinkers in the 'real' world so it is of great comfort to have NDG to pop in to, not only to remind me that I am perfectly sane but also that I'm actually doing something incredible for myself and should never feel embarrassed, ashamed or 'uncool' because of it.

At this time of year, you can find you have to 'explain' yourself to a lot of people (this week was particularly bad in my case) and it can be deflating to be faced with blank stares, suspicion or worse, barely concealed resentment when they really should be shaking your hand and asking for advice.

So be strong folks, don't be a stranger and pop in anytime for a chat. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

This will be my 11th sober Christmas. The first one or two were a bit lonely and difficult but it's easy now. I'll be getting some bottles of Lorina lemonade organised for the big day. I'm really lucky in that the family environment is not a heavy drinking one and my family members are very mature and supportive. No drunken fighting. No silly dramas.

Wattle wrote: »
    This will be my 11th sober Christmas. The first one or two were a bit lonely and difficult but it's easy now. I'll be getting some bottles of Lorina lemonade organised for the big day. I'm really lucky in that the family environment is not a heavy drinking one and my family members are very mature and supportive. No drunken fighting. No silly dramas.

Sounds very civilised, Wattle. Just how it should be. Enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:D:D:):P:):D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Happy Xmas to each and everyone one of ye guys on here. Were all tremendous support to each other and sobriety I feel is a gift to have.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Merry Christmas to you all, I hope Santa was as good to you as he was to me.

I'd like to echo what Carpet said.. you have all been a great source of support over the last 16 months.. It's great to have such a peaceful little forum like this to break away to now and then.

May your 2014 be full of joy, peace and success :)

Xzanti

• Advertisement

Was going to start a new thread,

But sure why not just bump this one up,the message is still the same.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE

I hope all your dreams and goals are been rewarded keep up the great work everyone it's a pleasure and postive day of my life dropping in here. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Glad you did as I missed it the first time round :) Perfect post for the season!

• Well this is going to be my first sober Christmas in many many years. I have support from my family and spending it with them. Happy Christmas guys....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

So I had my work christmas do last night

1) I stayed sober :)
    2) chaos broke out by 10:30 - two brawls and a secretary and a senior exec seen drunkenly heading off into the San Francisco night
    3) I left at 11pm, the valet asked me if i was "ok to drive" i assured him I was. Out comes 2 people, one of whom was slurring and nasty - i quickly got in to the car and drove off - I didn't want vomit and drunk talk in my new car :D

It was awful, I was glad to be out of there - but it was also good in that I had some great chats with the sober ones that all left at the same time - we met for icecream and tea near the beach then all headed home. The best thing as well? Two police drink/driving checkpoints - both just looked in the window, asked if I had drunk - then let me on my way.

Glad it's over with for another year

Merry christmas everyone!

'Out of life's school of war that which does not destroy me makes me stronger'

- Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols (1889).

Níl aon dul chun cinn inár mbeatha gan féinsmacht (There's no progress in our lives without self-discipline).

Nollaig shona agus athbhliain faoi mhaise daoibh go léir.

• Well I messed up just coming off a two day bender,I hate myself for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Well I messed up just coming off a two day bender,I hate myself for it

No better time to get back off it! Keep your head up :)

• Thanks Paul but I can't stay off it longer than two weeks

Thanks Paul but I can't stay off it longer than two weeks

You mean you haven't 'yet' managed to stay off it longer than two weeks. Don't give up. Nothing changes if nothing changes. You just need a better plan next time. Check out posts by Realies for some really great and sound advice. Keep in touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

this is my fourth sober christmas, looking forward to the dinner :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

This is my 4th Xmas sober too

Happy Xmas all

This is my fifth Christmas alcohol free but its my sixth year coming in three weeks.

Happy Christmas everyone:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Abcxyz12345

Wishing everyone a happy & peaceful Christmas. Thank you all for your support & wisdom within these threads x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

So looking forward to this day being over already! Christmas must be the most over rated holiday of them all. The more I think of it the more I actually dislike Christmas. Bah humbug here but no temptation to drink which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Why does Xmas have to revolve around Alcohol? Its terrible i am really starting to hate it.

You tell people that you don't want to drink and they seem offended. The worst thing is people you expect to understand the fact the you don't want to get hammered every night also try to get you to drink knowing full well how depressed and narky it makes you for 2-3 days after and then when you do get narky then wonder why!

I had dinner with some 'friends' and 'friends of friends' yesterday and when I was offered a drink and politely said no, I don't drink thanks, I got 'oh yeah, I see your halo alright'. Some Irish people just can't handle non drinkers. And I think they are the very ones who need some 'examination of conscience' as the nuns used to call it.

But anyway, I am delighted all that nonsense is over for another year. Let 'normality' resume please. And be quick about it.

Well done all you NDGs who survived it. For those who didn't, let the new year be a new beginning.

Advertisement