Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alice vs Molle II backpack

Options
  • 22-12-2014 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a new backpack and was considering a used ex US military Alice pack w/frame or a Molle II pack w/frame.
    What are people's thoughts or are there others worth considering bearing in mind both of the above can be picked up relatively cheap on eBay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

I've never been a big fan of external frame packs. Unless you're carrying out a load from a hunt, or weird shaped heavy gear in military use, I don't really see the benefits. A good anatomical fit with an external frame isn't as easy to achieve either.

There's also the issue of the extra attention mil-spec bags can attract. Nobody bats an eyelid when you have a Deuter/Lowe/Osprey type internal frame pack, even up around the 60-80L sizes, but carry a military type pack and it'll draw peoples attention and that's not always a good thing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If it were me, I'd be looking at the British Army bergen. Plentiful supply from old to new right on the doorstep and lots of mods and additions easily available too. If you don't fancy that, then the German or Dutch bags are also worth looking at and handy to get hold of.

I've never seen an alice pack in the flesh, but hear mostly negative comments about them when compared to off the shelf rucksacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Tabnabs wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd be looking at the British Army bergen. Plentiful supply from old to new right on the doorstep and lots of mods and additions easily available too. If you don't fancy that, then the German or Dutch bags are also worth looking at and handy to get hold of.

I've never seen an alice pack in the flesh, but hear mostly negative comments about them when compared to off the shelf rucksacks.

What sort of prices can you expect to pay for the Bergen and any recommended sites.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There's a German one for a decent price (use parcel motel) http://www.ebay.ie/itm/GERMAN-ARMY-BERGEN-FLECKTARN-CAMO-65L-/171524416323?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item27efa6e343

I've used that ebayer a few times with no problems.

From Endicotts; a British http://www.endicotts.co.uk/component/virtuemart/rucksacks-packs-kit-bags-92/load-carry-ruck-sack-bergen-british-infantry-90-patt-o-g-2123-detail?Itemid=0

and a Dutch bag http://www.endicotts.co.uk/component/virtuemart/rucksacks-packs-kit-bags-92/load-carry-ruck-sack-dutch-l-a-sting-d-p-m-2464-detail?Itemid=0

I've never dealt with Endicotts myself, but their reputation is excellent and sending stuff to Ireland hasn't been an issue before. It's a small shop, so it might take a phone call to get a response, their website is a nightmare to navigate, so not sure what their email skills are like...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

The Dutch sting Bergen looks the job alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I've used a UK Bergen loads of times very comfortable pack and made to last keep an eye on adverts.ie I've seen them there a few times. Also keep an eye on eBay sometimes 2nd hand maxpedition bags come up on it but you will have to beat me to them :P they are expensive new but last my pygmy falcon one is used daily and looks like new after over 5 years

Advertisement