Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you deal with 'Tailgaters' ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

The amount of people advocating brake testing the tailgater on this thread is shocking. Firstly, two wrongs don't make a right. I mean seriously, "the person behind me is driving dangerously, so I'll drive dangerously to teach them a lesson". Cop on. What if you brake test them when they're fiddling with the radio and they hit the back of you. I'm sure you'll love the moral high-ground while your passengers are being treated for whiplash.*

Secondly, and kinda related to the first point, it's not your job to police other road users. If someone is glued to your boot, keep over to the left if possible so it's easier for them to pass. You're safer with people like that a few miles up the road than stuck to your arse.

*Extreme example, I know, but I'm trying to make a point. But come on, just cause someone else is driving stupidly doesn't mean the best course of action is for you to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Only way to deal with tailgaiters is to stop driving at 25mph like a big aul wan.

And yes I drive an Audi !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Only way to deal with tailgaiters is to stop driving at 25mph like a big aul wan.

And yes I drive an Audi !!!

Poor effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

lertsnim wrote: »
    Poor effort.
    Beep beep !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Kev.OC wrote: »
    The amount of people advocating brake testing the tailgater on this thread is shocking. Firstly, two wrongs don't make a right. I mean seriously, "the person behind me is driving dangerously, so I'll drive dangerously to teach them a lesson". Cop on. What if you brake test them when they're fiddling with the radio and they hit the back of you. I'm sure you'll love the moral high-ground while your passengers are being treated for whiplash.*

Secondly, and kinda related to the first point, it's not your job to police other road users. If someone is glued to your boot, keep over to the left if possible so it's easier for them to pass. You're safer with people like that a few miles up the road than stuck to your arse.

*Extreme example, I know, but I'm trying to make a point. But come on, just cause someone else is driving stupidly doesn't mean the best course of action is for you to do the same.

I take exception to the suggestion that brake checking is as stupid as tailgating, if you actually know what you're doing.

Risking getting a tip into the back of me by someone doing a few kph faster than me once I'm driving at a manageable speed and without oncoming traffic, is certainly preferable to me, than having the same idiot plough into me if I genuinely have to brake hard in what is already a dangerous situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I dont normally (unless road conditions or weather conditions depict otherwise) but if I want to drive at 25mph in a 30mph zone or (50km/h) road I will bloody do so and no ordinary driver no matter how they bully and try to take me off the road by speeding up behind me and using full beam or flashing their lights , of course if there is an area to pull over to the left safely then i will and the offending car can speed off at whatever speed they like and get on with it, i would be pulling over for MY benefit and not THEIR benefit and certainly not suggesting they have WON

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Has anyone used this Garda Traffic Watch on 1890 205 805 I have never used it so I dunno what happens, but what if you reported someone tailgating and it was your word against theres? - Theres an old thread on boards about the garda traffic watch number but last post was 2007 / 2010 and i didnt want to go resurrecting an old thread,

Used them twice in the past few years, the first time to report a lunatic overtaking on a double white line who had to veer in front of me to avoid oncoming traffic - called straight after the incident and about 6 weeks later got a call asking me what I wanted to do about the incident (go to court or have the guards caution them).

The second time a car crossed two lanes of motorway cutting in front of us to get to an exit ramp - that was February 2013 and still waiting for someone to get back to me on that. Great service altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I had a lunatic driving one of Galvins school buses from Dunmanway last Tuesday afternoon, come flying up Kilbrogan Hill as I pulled out of cork hill in front of him in my 60 horse power Peugeot 206. There was no sign of him before I pulled out. He must have been lifting it. He started flashing his lights at me to drive on. I was already over the limit in a 50kph zone. I couldn't turn right into the garage that I was going to up ahead for fear of him driving into the back of me and injuring my wife and four year old daughter (or any children on the bus for that mstter). I continued out the macroom/crossbarry road well ahead of him at this stage. I observed how his 99 KK registered MAN leaned from side to side as he took every bend way to fast on damp roads. Twenty years ago I would have lifted the handbrake on someone like that and put their heart in their mouth. I gave up calling muckers from that neck of the woods because the lat time I ran someone from down there it was Hennessy transport for going all the way around the bandon Road roundabout in the outside lane and then swinging his trailer in front of me when he got past. The response I got was that he trained thst driver and artics are sopposed to use the outside lane on every roundabout regardless of the exit or road marking. He added that I should get a truck licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I would be pulling over for MY benefit and not THEIR benefit and certainly not suggesting they have WON

I totally agree with what you are saying... on an intellectual level. However, and this is MY failing, I (at 33 years of age) can't seem to shift that anger of being 'wronged' by someone.

Perhaps being in a serious accident as a youngster has made me fearful, and that makes me angry or something. It's the one thing I can't seem to shift out of my brain. I'm at the stage of stressing before getting into the car as I know my estate will be blocked by people, there will be tailgating etc.

Really the best thing is what you said in your full post above, it's safer and far less stressful... then someone cuts me off and I have to really fight to stop from getting out of the car, or just losing my head completely. It's terrible. I know these people will still be ignorant idiots tomorrow and the next day but a part of me feels they need to be 'taught a lesson'. But, if I do anything it's all anger and adrenaline and I end up feeling awful, and potentially looking like the guilty party blaring my horn and shouting.

I really need to learn to cool it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I really need to learn to cool it.
    You do. Primarily for your own sake, because you are suffering unnecessary stress. But also for my sake as another road user, because a stressed driver is more likely to make a mistake and be involved in an accident - perhaps with me.

I have de-stressed myself as a driver over the years. One of my techniques is to take personalisation out of my attitude to other drivers. If somebody else behaves like a pillock, I recognise that he is a pillock and consider that as his problem, not mine. He doesn't know me, so his bad behaviour is not directed at me as a person; it's just part of his being an arse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Kev.OC wrote: »
    If someone is glued to your boot, keep over to the left if possible so it's easier for them to pass. You're safer with people like that a few miles up the road than stuck to your arse.

A tailgater isn't looking to overtake. If he was he wouldn't be so close - which demands moving out at a severe angle and lower visibility when beginning the overtake. The object of the exercise to make another road user uncomfortable, exert an aggressive superiority over them. Maybe to compensate for the tailgators deficiencies of character, personality or physiology.

A good driver when he's in a rush can execute an overtake when it's on (moving out well back from the car in front with full view of the road ahead and then lots of power until well clear of the car in front) When it's not on - sits back patiently watching for opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

evo2000 wrote: »

Your sort getting what they deserve from my sort!

Emm who's who?

I said I pull in to allow tailgaters pass whereas you like to try keep them behind you regardless of how dangerous that is so are you saying you deserve to get the head punched off ya for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

[QUOTE= and i was driving close to 50km/h so i wasnt dawdling - [/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I wait for the road to straighten up, indicate and move to the left of the road and let my foot of the accelerator.This gives the tailgater a chance to pass me and go up the road as hard as he/she like's,while I get back up to the speed limit.Take's all of 30 seconds and means I wont get rear ended if I need to brake sharply.I don't see the point in brake testing the tailgater,its just too dangerous for me and my passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Had me one today. Coming off M3 to N3 at Blanch. Wakner right up on my bumper as I get past my 16 trucks etc, doing 120 I might add.

I pulled over when I got a space and he cuts in right behind me and exits at Clonsilla. Complete with reindeer antlers. Tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I had two recently on a trip from Dublin to Galway.

The first one I saw in the rear view mirror gaining quickly and then as he gets to me decides to follow far too closely behind me for 20 minutes when he then exits the motorway. (To point out, I was in the driving lane the entire time doing 125km/h, he could have easily overtaken me)

The second one, got really close behind me as well and then just stayed there. I then had to overtake another car, he follows me into the overtaking lane keeping just as close behind me and then when I pull back into the driving lane, he follows me.

I didn't understand why either of them just didn't overtake me!

You do. Primarily for your own sake, because you are suffering unnecessary stress. But also for my sake as another road user, because a stressed driver is more likely to make a mistake and be involved in an accident - perhaps with me.

I have de-stressed myself as a driver over the years. One of my techniques is to take personalisation out of my attitude to other drivers. If somebody else behaves like a pillock, I recognise that he is a pillock and consider that as his problem, not mine. He doesn't know me, so his bad behaviour is not directed at me as a person; it's just part of his being an arse.

Oh, you've mastered "de-stressing" while driving eh... ;) dashboard like a plasterers radio...

I wait for the road to straighten up, indicate and move to the left of the road and let my foot of the accelerator.This gives the tailgater a chance to pass me and go up the road as hard as he/she like's,while I get back up to the speed limit.Take's all of 30 seconds and means I wont get rear ended if I need to brake sharply.I don't see the point in brake testing the tailgater,its just too dangerous for me and my passengers.

I hope the next tailgater you meet drive's you off the road and maim's you for your hideous misuse's of apostrophe's...

(I trust you won't mind me pointing this out, you being easygoing...)

I hope the next tailgater you meet drive's you off the road and maim's you for your hideous misuse's of apostrophe's...

very harsh! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

MarkR wrote: »
    I hope you're joking! If they are doing the correct speed for conditions, why should they pull over? There's always someone who wants to go faster, doesn't mean you have to take any evasive maneuvers.

I tend to slow down slightly. I may also engage the brake light, but not brake, if I feel they are dangerously close.

If someone was in a hurry behind you on a footpath would you prevent them passing you? You don't know why a driver behind you may be impatient. Example my nephew had suspected meningitis years ago. His mother told by GP to take him to CUH as a matter of urgency as waiting for an ambulance would take too long. Asshole driver held her at 30 mph along the country road for ten miles despite flashing lights at him/horn/flashers. He could have easily let her past but didn't. Again would you block somebody's way if you weren't in a car? I am sure he went home smug in his self righteousness.
    An Englishman said to me once that the British use courtesy as a principle for dealing with other road users but the Irish use entitlement instead. Can't say he was far wrong.
    What's wrong with basic courtesy.?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Dexter Bip wrote: »
    If someone was in a hurry behind you on a footpath would you prevent them passing you? You don't know why a driver behind you may be impatient. Example my nephew had suspected meningitis years ago. His mother told by GP to take him to CUH as a matter of urgency as waiting for an ambulance would take too long. Asshole driver held her at 30 mph along the country road for ten miles despite flashing lights at him/horn/flashers. He could have easily let her past but didn't. Again would you block somebody's way if you weren't in a car? I am sure he went home smug in his self righteousness.
    An Englishman said to me once that the British use courtesy as a principle for dealing with other road users but the Irish use entitlement instead. Can't say he was far wrong.
    What's wrong with basic courtesy.?

Generally speaking, I would say the Irish use bullying instead.

Don't get me wrong, I have no death wish and would never willfully hold up a tailgater. But I'm finding it hard to believe that the hundreds of dangerous tailgaters I've had the misfortune to have clinging to my bumper in the few years I've been driving all did so because of medical emergencies.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Generally speaking, I would say the Irish use bullying instead.

Don't get me wrong, I have no death wish and would never willfully hold up a tailgater. But I'm finding it hard to believe that the hundreds of dangerous tailgaters I've had the misfortune to have clinging to my bumper in the few years I've been driving all did so because of medical emergencies.

Fair enough. It was an extreme case. I try not to tailgate. I drive a lot though and it is frustrating at times to be held behind a slow driver for no reason. I always move over.
    Often these are the drivers who floor it once they are being overtaken. The point I suppose is that people sometimes behave in ways while driving that they would never do otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It's not that they would all be medical, but you never know if they are, so keeping left and letting them overtake is reasonable enough etiher way

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's not that they would all be medical, but you never know if they are, so keeping left and letting them overtake is reasonable enough etiher way
    When it's convenient and safe, of course.

I let them overtake, not to reward their aggressive driving, but to make the situation safer for myself and anybody in the car with me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

When it's convenient and safe, of course.

I let them overtake, not to reward their aggressive driving, but to make the situation safer for myself and anybody in the car with me.

I completely agree with this. I will of course always move over where safe and let them overtake. After all, it's not like I enjoy having some driving unsafe lay close behind me, so the best way out of it to let them get past so that I'm the one in control of the distance between us.

However, much of the driving I do is on very narrow uphill-downhill country roads. The ones where the speed limit is based on a dare more than anything else.
    In those cases, there usually IS no safe way for them to pass, and there's nothing I can do about that.

So I would like to repeat my earlier question to the self-confessed tailgaters out there : What exactly do you think tailgating the car in front of you is going to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I take down license plate number and find their address by hacking into the gardaí database. I then go all equalizer on their ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't mind letting them pass but when I'm going top speed with no room to pull in then they become dangerous and anything goes.

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I take down license plate number and find their address by hacking into the gardaí database. I then go all equalizer on their ass.

i presume your jesting, but i still like your style :D

Just slightly off topic but I can't resist. I drive a largeish motorhome. It's a fairly ignorant yoke to drive on narrow roads so I do my own share of slow driving. Last summer I came upon a cycle race on a country road in France. The locals had traffic blocked at the point where the road I was travelling on met the race ( it was a circuit surrounding a nearby small town). The cyclists were passing by in groups in intervals of two or three minutes. The Marshall told me I'd be fine if I set off after the next group and kept pace with the race. Bad idea. Would've been fine if I had a car. Within five hundred meters I had a pack of 30 cyclists on my tail. Thet wanted to win the race and I was holding them up. Couldn't believe how fast they go. Bystanders waving their hands to get the hell out of the way. I was doing at least 60 km/h. Motorhomes don't do airborne very well. Bumpy single car road and fully sure one of them was going for a a kamikaze overtake. Eventually managed to pull onto a rough patch at the side at full speed and let them pass. Fully thought something was going to get bent.
    In the end we finished by driving round the rest of the circuit and leaving by the way we came in, no better off. Stewards were looking at us funny though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Sold the car. Got on the bike.

Advertisement