Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Airsoft, Looking for advice on a few things.

Options
  • 14-12-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So as stated I'm going to give this airsoft thing a go, see what it's all about looks like a lot of fun and I've never had much time for conventional sports like football. Shooting a few BB's in a field seems a bit more appealing to me for whatever reason.

So I've decided on my first AEG (mp40 AGM) I was actually planning to order it from Tiawangun.com, simply because of the price difference compared to stores in Ireland. I read they will lower the FPS on the gun if you buy the required parts with said purchase, which is great as I'd be terrified of opening up my gun at this moment in time.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Next question would be on sites, Right now I'm located in Dublin but would be willing on traveling for the perfect site. Obviously this is a very debatable subject, everyone will have their own opinion.

What I'm looking for is a predominantly outdoor location, with a more mature player base. (I hope that doesn't come across as snobbish.)

Please any tips would be grateful. Of course I'm doing my own research but would be nice to hear from the players themselves.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Welcome to Airsoft.
    Go to a site and play a few games first, so you can decide if you like it.
    Talk to those around you and look at their gear.

Ordering from abroad is not always cheaper as VAT, Excise and other charges bring
    up the cost. Customs will destroy it if it is over the 1 joule limit and you will be out of pocket.
    Buying locally means you have someone to go back to if there is a probem and the stores give
    very good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

My advise would be "Try Before You Buy".
    A lot of the sites can arrange equipment hire for you, which gives you the opportunity to get the feel for things with very low outlay.
    Wear a pair of comfortable but sturdy boots if you have them and some warm outdoor clothing, jeans and hoody are fine.
    You might feel like a fish out water for an hour or so, but when you get caught up in your first good skirmish and the adrenaline kicks in you're hooked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WashedUpPoet

I'm not to worried on if I'll enjoy the sport or not , If this was the case though I don't mind having spent 100-200 hundred on a kick as looking MP40 I've spent more on useless WW2 memorabilia it will just be added to the collection. I might fork out on a cheap pair of goggles and wait and see how I feel before getting extra gear.

I'm aware Of the 1 Joule limit in Ireland and customs zero fun attitude to Firearms, I was hoping to hear from somebody who may have bought from Tiawanguns.com I might be better off making a Tread on that actually.

I may very well buy locally as SG airsoft is only a mile or two down the road. Price here in Ireland seems to be double than a lot of other country's, and as Tiawanguns is based in Poland(EU) I think there isn't much extra VAT.

Any feedback on sites around the Dublin Area that you may have tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I might fork out on a cheap pair of goggles

Don't.

Get proper goggles, you're only issued with two eyes and they're extremely difficult to repair.

There's a thread elsewhere on the front page with a list of sites near Dublin. Have fun & Play Safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WashedUpPoet

Cheap was the wrong word, I was in SG the other day and say a few pairs for little more than 20 euro. They looked of decent quality and aren't going to break the bank. And "yes" hopefully my eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Make sure they have the ANSI Z87.1+ rating stamped on the frame (some of the newer designs might have it on the lens as well). IIRC the equivalent EN number is EN 166. That tiny little plus sign is actually very significant.

I highly recommend either the ESS ICE glasses or the Revision Sawfly. If there's any piece of airsoft equipment you shouldn't skimp on its eyepro. If in doubt, ask yourself "how much are my eyes worth?".

Oh, and something to cover your teeth; they're expensive to fix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

OzCam wrote: »
    Make sure they have the ANSI Z87.1+ rating stamped on the frame (some of the newer designs might have it on the lens as well). IIRC the equivalent EN number is EN 166. That tiny little plus sign is actually very significant.

I highly recommend either the ESS ICE glasses or the Revision Sawfly. If there's any piece of airsoft equipment you shouldn't skimp on its eyepro. If in doubt, ask yourself "how much are my eyes worth?".

Oh, and something to cover your teeth; they're expensive to fix :D

This.

OP, there are two things that I would not skimp on with regards airsoft. In order of priority:
    1. Eye-protection: as OzCam has said, you've only got one pair of eyes. Ever. Doing stuff "on the cheap" or with the mindset of "shure it wont break the bank leaving me with more to spend on an AEG. MOAR MOAR!!" is a foolish view to take. AEGs can be repaired, money can be saved up, eyes cannot be repaired (without incredible expense with limited scenario options) or replaced. For the love of f*ckity f*cking f*ck, get decent eyepro.

There are surplus stores for British kit that sell ESS & Revision glasses/goggles stupidly cheap (like £20 cheap so you have absolutely no excuses). Hell, even if you buy retail, you're looking at maybe £70 for high-end range of glasses. Treat eye-pro as an investment, not a utility.
    2. Footwear: look after your feet and they'll look after you. Simple. You don't need to break the bank, but don't be an idiot about it either and choose accordingly.

Advertisement