Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

J1 costs; planning...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

ColmBr wrote: »
    Is travelbug the only company that let you book you flights yourself do you know?

That I know of, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rachel23

So myself and another girl are thinking of going on a J1 this year, I'll be 21 & she'll be 24. We were thinking of going to the west coast, maybe San Diego/San Fran. Becasue NY is way to expensive for rent and that ~ well so i heard!
    We havent really looked into it too well, it will be our first time on a j1, and have no idea what to expect!

is it really hard to find a job, is it expensive?
    oh, and if anyone would be upto it..we'd like to stay with other people to get the rent down & meet new people etc. D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rachel23

So myself and another girl are thinking of going on a J1 this year, I'll be 21 & she'll be 24. We were thinking of going to the west coast, maybe San Diego/San Fran. We havent really looked into it too well, it will be our first time on a j1, and have no idea what to expect!
    best places to go?

is it really hard to find a job, is it expensive? accommodation? i havent a clue!
    oh, and if anyone would be upto it..we'd like to stay with other people to get the rent down & meet new people etc. D :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Rachel23 wrote: »
    So myself and another girl are thinking of going on a J1 this year, I'll be 21 & she'll be 24. We were thinking of going to the west coast, maybe San Diego/San Fran. Becasue NY is way to expensive for rent and that ~ well so i heard!
    We havent really looked into it too well, it will be our first time on a j1, and have no idea what to expect!

San Fran is just as expensive for rent as NYC, as its silicon valley. At least NYC you can find places in some of the "hoods", which are kinda trendy to live like Bushwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ColmBr

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    That I know of, yeah.

I got on to them about it and they said that you must book your flights with them when getting your visa with them. Took them two days to reply and the email did not seem very professional at all. I think I'll be staying away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

anyone know from this year what the job market is like for J1ers in the bay area of SF? are you better off on the outskirts or in the middle of the city?

Also, is it worth emailing smaller businesses/restaurants rather than the bigger chains seen as its only a 3-4 month gig?

Sound lads!

I got on to them about it and they said that you must book your flights with them when getting your visa with them. Took them two days to reply and the email did not seem very professional at all. I think I'll be staying away from them.

As did I, sticking with SAYIT www.j1.ie :pac:.

Nobody I know has been able to live in SF, they've ended up in the neighboring city of Berkeley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 D_Ben

Planing on going New York, group of 3 possibly 4 of us hoping to go. Anyone else up for it welcome to join, keep rent low and that craic!

anyone know is it best to bring cash to the US to prove funds or would a bank statement or online banking do?

• Advertisement

I'm 99% sure a bank statement is fine. My mate showed them his online banking on his phone when he went through and they were happy enough.

I'm 99% sure a bank statement is fine. My mate showed them his online banking on his phone when he went through and they were happy enough.

Sound for that... Sounds a lot easier than carrying a wad of cash!!

Then again, what's the best way to hold money/get paid when in the us? Is a bank account there a must have? Or can they pay you onto a prepaid card or something? What have other people used?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sophiya1992

D_Ben wrote: »
    Planing on going New York, group of 3 possibly 4 of us hoping to go. Anyone else up for it welcome to join, keep rent low and that craic!

When you planning on going? me and a friend are going too. both 21 year old girls! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 D_Ben

Hey Sophiya, planning on going over last week in may/first week in June! When yee thinking? We're all 20/21! :)
    When you planning on going? me and a friend are going too. both 21 year old girls! :)

For anyone who wants to book soon(ish) the "one week only" discount is on USITs website...

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sophiya1992

D_Ben wrote: »
    Hey Sophiya, planning on going over last week in may/first week in June! When yee thinking? We're all 20/21! :)

Same as us. We are thinking around the 22nd of may or so n come back the same date in august! You on facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cianbooth

Rachel23 wrote: »

I'm thinking of going to san fran as well. I've heard it's expensive enough but if you get accommodation out in Berkley it's not too bad. If you have any experience I can't imagine it's too difficult to get a job. Going over by myself so was debating whether or not to stay in a frat house as I want to meet people as well. What were u guys thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cianbooth

ianofitz wrote: »
    Cool thanks for that! I'll have a proper look at a few different cities. Whats Vancouver like does anyone know?

Vancouver is great, I spent a summer out there 2 years ago and had an amazing time. We were staying in UBC which is about 30 mins outside the city and were paying 1800$ for a nice 2 bed apartment. Its close to whistler which is an amazing spot and went sky diving up there. Would highly recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Anyone booking with SAYIT do ye have any idea how long the answers to their questionnaire thing should be, it says 5 or 10 word answers aren't acceptable but apart from that do they want a short paragraph or a bloody essay on the virtues of the USA????

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ConorM15

Heard it's not too hard finding a job in San Fran and should be helpful that your 21 and get work in a bar etc...berkley supposed to be fairly cheap for the summer to live...i think I could nearly be heading over myself to San Fran so il be looking for other Irish over there as well !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 jwn1

Im looking to go to San Francisco too next summer! Been doing some research and it seems that Berkeley is the most popular but does anyone know how easy it is to find accommodation/work there? And how far it is from San Fran city if you had to travel everyday for work is it possible??
    More than likely ill be travelling over on my own so it would be brilliant to find people to share with before I go! I booked through USIT and should be travelling over around the 21st of May as soon as my exams finish!
    It would be great to get some advice & if anyone is looking for people to build up numbers and lower costs of rent do get in contact with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jwn1

Im looking to go to San Francisco too next summer! Been doing some research and it seems that Berkeley is the most popular but does anyone know how easy it is to find accommodation/work there? And how far it is from San Fran city if you had to travel everyday for work is it possible??
    More than likely ill be travelling over on my own so it would be brilliant to find people to share with before I go! I booked through USIT and should be travelling over around the 21st of May as soon as my exams finish!
    It would be great to get some advice & if anyone is looking for people to build up numbers and lower costs of rent do get in contact with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gavelaa

had to open an account to clarify on Travelbug Limited, I was on the phone a couple of days ago to one of their representatives and honestly they were very helpful. I had to ask about the flights since i had already read this thread and they clarified that they dont even have the facility to cater for booking flights and that must be done independently by myself. They simply offer everything else. anyone seriousl;y interested on doing a j1 should however actually research by contacting the companies themselves rather than taking a strangers comment at face value.. obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pizzaslut0

Okay I know there's plwnty of posts already but I'm thinking of doing a j1 maybe New York! I'm 19 and a guy! I'd be up for sharing accommodation and all that :) give me your thoughts

Theres literally so many threads, why did you start a new one :p.

Theres literally so many threads, why did you start a new one :p.

I'm very very lazy 😂

I too am thinking of a J1, possibly alone. Would me being a few months shy of 20 make a huge difference ? I'm thinking New York it looks so nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sara.Cherokee

For all of you looking into San Francisco, I posted quite a lengthy post about it on the thread titled J1 2015 San Francisco, a few of us there are also looking for people to go with, hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭aoifemcg94

May seem like I silly question, but this year I'm a external student so technically I'm not really full time, does this mean I can't get a J1?

• Advertisement

aoifemcg94 wrote: »
    May seem like I silly question, but this year I'm a external student so technically I'm not really full time, does this mean I can't get a J1?

Nope have to be a registered full time student.

Advertisement