Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What size turkey and ham

Options
  • 12-12-2014 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi All. What size turkey and ham should I order to feed 8 adults? We won't need much leftovers as we won't be eating at home on Stephens day.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭gidget

Just looked a turkey guide & this was recommended as a size; 4-4.5kg serves 8-10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

gidget wrote: »
    Just looked a turkey guide & this was recommended as a size; 4-4.5kg serves 8-10

I concur :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I would go with a 7kg turkey from previous experiences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I would serve 8kg in case extra people arrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

braddun wrote: »
    I would serve 8kg in case extra people arrive

Just curious, how would that happen? Do people around you randomly call in to other houses for Christmas dinner? :eek:

Despite being a child of the metric age, I've always measured poultry in lbs because it's just easier to time the cooking. A 10-12lb bird would easily feed 8 people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you lose nearly half the weight when you take out bones etc

smaller size birds are hens and are better tasting

turn your turkey upside down when cooking,it will taste moist

ie breast side down

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

I ordered a 5 Kg bronze turkey and 2.5 km ham. It hopefully will be enough. In the passed I cooked mine Delia style and was very happy with the result so think I will stick to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭Deenie123

happydayz8 wrote: »
    In the passed I cooked mine Delia style and was very happy with the result so think I will stick to that.

Never fails!

Advertisement