Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone living in Heathfield, Finglas with comments on the area ?

• 30-08-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dublin8681

Thinking of moving to Heathfield, Finglas and just wondering if anyone lives there and has any comments on the estate/area ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

i am working in cappagh hospital, just across the street and see the houses every day.
    not a place i would like to live, some of the empty houses getting vandalized regularly, windows smashed etc.....
    The street in front of it is a a abandoned construction side, and far away from
    shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭dublin8681

Yeah I did notice a couple of smashed windows but this generally happens in unoccupied houses during construction so didn't think that was anything to base decision on. Like currently living in dublin 15 and to be honest every area has its bad points in this day and age. Do you live near this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

i just work there, and would not like to live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Close proximity to the girls secondary school is great if you have a daughter. It's a good school. Otherwise... I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole... It's a ghost estate, unfinished, no amenities in it, nearest shop is a 10 minute walk away.

Thanks for the replies..... I still havent heard of anything bad happening in the area ... just bad things about the area and its appearance...so if anyone else has anything to add please do looking for as much info as possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

A simple Googling throws up ongoing issues on the estate. http://www.neighbours.ie/forums/showthread.php/23162-Issues

Add to it, I would not live there due to it's location beside certain small neighbourhoods nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe you at other houses ,in finglas ,in complete estates no management charge.
    look for estates private,or a small council estate where 99 per cent
    have been bought out by tenant .
    you,ll have to pay a property tax next year anyway.
    my friend lives in an old council estate in finglas,its fine,quiet ,
    all the houses were bought from the council,by the tenants.
    AN estate with empty houses,boarded up houses is best avoided.
    i would say most places shop is maybe ten minutes,away
    planning regs dont usually allow shops in the middle of most estates .

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HoopsUnited2

I actually live there and I can tell you it's a lovely quiet estate. Everyone is really friendly we have a committee who set up summer parties for the kids and who are in touch about all the issues with the site as it is.

Yes it is a ghost estate and with that comes it's problems of vandalism but we do have 24 hour security and the police do regular sweeps also.

To say it's situated by a rough area is fair enough but nobody comes into the estate causing trouble. As we don't march down to their area to cause trouble either.

There are a few ongoing issues the road outside is not finished, the shop we were promised still not built - all these issues are being looked at. Until all the development is sold your going to have these little battles.

People putting up comments who don't actually live there and are judging by a few smashed windows should keep their opinions to themselves.

I would recommend you drive up some saturday or sunday and have a walk around - see for yourself.

Hope this was of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

Yes it is a ghost estate and with that comes it's problems of vandalism but we do have 24 hour security and the police do regular sweeps also.

There are a few ongoing issues the road outside is not finished, the shop we were promised still not built - all these issues are being looked at. Until all the development is sold your going to have these little battles.

in 2012 these are reasons not to buy in a particular estate, gone are the days when buyers were lucky to get any house any where !!

With in a couple of minutes drive there are countless houses for sale in estates which don't have any of the problems which you have identified and my own personal opinion is that someone would be mad to even consider buying in an unfinished estate as the chances of the estate ever being finished are almost zero.

With in a couple of minutes drive there are countless houses for sale in estates which don't have any of the problems which you have identified and my own personal opinion is that someone would be mad to even consider buying in an unfinished estate as the chances of the estate ever being finished are almost zero.

Exactly it depends on what your looking for I personally wouldn't buy a house in a run down part of finglas or blanch just because it's 'finished'. The estate to me is finished yes theirs problems with the road - i can drive over it and i can walk over it therefore it dosen't effect my life. There is no shop so i drive or walk 15 minutes to the shop - again no big deal. The empty houses are being broken into - there is security and police are working on this - they are not touching my home so it dosen't effect me.

They are highly rated insulated houses well built and in a quiet lovely estate - when i was buying that was my priority when looking. I'm just saying don't let the other issues put you off.

• Advertisement

I suggest you look in Glenhill OP. Lovely estate, quiet and houses are well built.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Exactly it depends on what your looking for I personally wouldn't buy a house in a run down part of finglas or blanch just because it's 'finished'. The estate to me is finished yes theirs problems with the road - i can drive over it and i can walk over it therefore it dosen't effect my life. There is no shop so i drive or walk 15 minutes to the shop - again no big deal. The empty houses are being broken into - there is security and police are working on this - they are not touching my home so it dosen't effect me.

They are highly rated insulated houses well built and in a quiet lovely estate - when i was buying that was my priority when looking. I'm just saying don't let the other issues put you off.

Any ,lets call them Native scanny horse People living near by ?.Somebody hinted earlier there were .

Thanks guys for getting back to me, was up there recently and actually seems to be a good few houses in the estate been worked on - so appears to be a few people moving in soon...... Anyone know how long the security is staying there? would they be gone as soon as there are no empty houses ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

dublin8681 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the security is staying there? would they be gone as soon as there are no empty houses ?

Most likely. Seriously doubt you will have security on site managed by the Management Company, it doesn't happen that often for finished housing estates. Ask the vendor's estate agents for a definite answer or the neighbours if you intend to buy there?

Thanks again guys for the info
    gurramok wrote: »
    Most likely. Seriously doubt you will have security on site managed by the Management Company, it doesn't happen that often for finished housing estates. Ask the vendor's estate agents for a definite answer or the neighbours if you intend to buy there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

gurramok wrote: »
    Most likely. Seriously doubt you will have security on site managed by the Management Company, it doesn't happen that often for finished housing estates.

You'd want very deep pockets for that. Full time security would mean a minimum of 4 employees to cover the post - 4 x annual salary + employer levies, PRSI etc. That's more than double the entire budget for our estate. Even CCTV could prove prohibitively expensive based on the layout of the development.

OP I would be a little nervous about flooding if you're looking at houses towards the road. There was a serious amount of water on the road this morning just past the entrance.

There won't be security once the estate is sold as it won't be needed. The houses are being targeted for building supplies once theres people living in them they'll no longer be a target.

The road outside the esate has severe drainage issues I think that's an ongoing dispute with Fingal. The houses are a good bit back from the main road anyway.

Inside the estate some of the streets can get large puddles but that's as bad as it gets. There's actually some work going on the drains in the estate this morning.

Yes I seen that there was some work been done and manholes were opened up a few weeks ago.... well from what I have heard a good few houses have sold recently and there's only few houses left so hopefully if all houses sell the management company might do something with the puddles on roads etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

Any news about Heathfield Estate ? Have an option moving in there and wondering if it's safe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Jed and Dave

went to have a look at these a while back, was brought to the showhouse which looked nice and then to an unfinished house, found the standard of workmanship in the unfinished house quite disturbing really, timber frame on the inside- lots of gaps in the isulation between timber studs, lots of cold bridging as inner leaf stud was not isulated over (i asked the foreman what they put over the stud- he said plasterboard) but sure you wouldent see that in the finished house-on paper they might be an A rating BER but i personally would be very sceptical after that vist-but im sure you could say that about most developers houses. fingal coco dont seem to pushed about getitng the road finished either.

• Advertisement

Carpentry wrote: »
    Any news about Heathfield Estate ? Have an option moving in there and wondering if it's safe ?

Check with the council about the properties they own in the development. A friend lives there and I know that there have been meetings between residents and the council about plans to move a large number of families from a certain group into the area that had the neighbours up in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

I see that athtrasna mentioned in 2012 about flooding and drainage issues, I'd say the issues are still present - there was plenty of water today, and I'm sure I recall an article about the TD or councillor grandstanding about drainage six months

The issues are definitely still present.

January wrote: »
    The issues are definitely still present.

Do you by any chance live there ?

Do you by any chance live there ?

No, but I have a friend living there. I've also got a friend living in Dunsoghly and they have flooding problems also from the building of Heathfield and the secondary school is suffering badly too (I went there and there was no flooding in the time I was there but plenty now).

I was there yesterday and seemed ok. You can get a flooding anywhere nowadays.
    My question is more about safety, transportation and getting around in general.

I was there yesterday and seemed ok. You can get a flooding anywhere nowadays.
    My question is more about safety, transportation and getting around in general.

Talk to the council and neighbours. If the plans I've heard materialise you couldn't pay me to live there

The council will admit nothing of the sort. Even if it is true.

Transportation, two busses pass it, the 17a to blanchardstown/kilbarrack and the 40d to city centre/tyrellstown.

I can't comment on safety because I don't live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,375 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm not sure how comfortable I would be living between these two places, here and here. I know that's slightly prejudiced but these minority groups don't tend to look after their neighbourhood, see across the road (Note: This was cleaned up the last time I jogged by).
    I went to look at these a few years ago and they were perfect (being an affordable new house in the suburbs with a front and back garden and a driveway, hard to find in a new home in 2008!) only for their location, I probably would have bought.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

fletch wrote: »
    I'm not sure how comfortable I would be living between these two places, here and here. I know that's slightly prejudiced but these minority groups don't tend to look after their neighbourhood, see across the road (Note: This was cleaned up the last time I jogged by).
    I went to look at these a few years ago and they were perfect (being an affordable new house in the suburbs with a front and back garden and a driveway, hard to find in a new home in 2008!) only for their location, I probably would have bought.

The place will improve only when they kick the travellers out of the area...mind you the Govt tends to pay them to move on somewhere else.

I wouldt buy in this area for that reason alone...if you want to move to finglas there are plenty of houses in mature areas avaialble for quite cheap at the moment. Finglas still has some bargains but not in new builds and certainly not in this development.

Advertisement