Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep paralysis, share your story

Options
  • 10-12-2014 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Does anyone suffer from sleep paralysis? If so, what has been your scariest spell? Being a person who gets it, it would be interesting to hear from other people who have it also.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Does anyone suffer from sleep paralysis? If so, what has been your scariest spell? Being a person who gets it, it would be interesting to hear from other people who have it also.

The first time I got it I thought I died. Truly f**ked up experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ChewyLewy

Sometimes get it the day after going on the beer. Scary stuff . Mentally I'm awake but then I just can't move my body.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

'Woke up' couldn't move... realised it was sleep paralysis... chilled out and then woke up properly after a couple of minutes.... simples :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Every morning before I have to get up, I know I have to get up and try my hardest to move but I just can't. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

When I work nights I sometimes sleeping tablets to get some sleep during the day. I only get it when I take them. The last time I got it was the worst yet, goose-flesh, the horrible sensation of not being able to move and the feeling that something was sliding the blankets off me and sliding itself into the bed beside me. Miserable experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Had it a few times, the worst though was one night when I woke up in pitch darkness to a very loud whisper in my ear. Was literally frozen to the spot in fear, couldn't move or even turn around and was 100% certain there was somebody behind me. Terrifying experience to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Wake up.
    See figure standing over bed.
    Freak the f*ck out.
    Wake up properly.
    Try to explain to partner why you were screaming blue murder.
    Repeat.

Great night's sleep that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This has started to happen to me lately. I woke from my sleep one night and I could not move a muscle, I was lying flat on my back and couldn't move or speak but I was fully aware. I felt like someone was pushing down on my chest and in the corner of my eye I could see a white circle and was convinced it was some sort of poltergeist. All of a sudden I just sat up in the bed and awoke properly. The terror I felt was unbelievable although I specifically remember my heart was not beating fast and this didn't match the fright and anxiety I felt inside. It happened a few nights later when I was lying on my side and woke up and couldn't move. I was convinced there was something behind me in my bed but I couldn't move to see what it was, I heard whispering and tried so hard to move my hand and shout help but I couldn't. These episodes have scared me so much I'm afraid to go to bed at night, they really are terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Books4you

Anytime it happens to me I Wake up, can't move and 9/10 times I think there is someone on top of me. Usually with a knife. Creepy as hell!

Have to get up and walk around. If I just try nod off again it keeps happening. Used to happen a couple of times a month but thank god it's a rare occurrence these days! Freaky freaky feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

DarkJager wrote: »
    Had it a few times, the worst though was one night when I woke up in pitch darkness to a very loud whisper in my ear. Was literally frozen to the spot in fear, couldn't move or even turn around and was 100% certain there was somebody behind me. Terrifying experience to have.

Years ago when I just drank and took drugs all weekend I started having a very similar experience to you on a fairly regular basis. I know, it was my own fault but I was young and thick. Instead of whispering into my ear I used to feel someone blowing into it. I'm a skeptic by nature and never believed in supernatural stuff but when I could literally feel someone blowing into my ear all rationality left, it was clearly a ghost..

A while after they stopped I told a friend about them, slightly embarrassed at first, but he said they were common enough. Eventually I found out about sleep paralysis and was very relieved to know I wasn't going mad/haunted...

Moral of the story, don't do drugs. Or if you do, moderate...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

re: all the above.

:eek:

wait .... what

but this only happens to other people right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Just stuck there with someone (usually a man) trying to climb on top !! Haven't had that experience in a while, generally after a long weekend drinking..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Yeah get it a good bit, used to it though. If I want to go into a Lucid dream, you sort of have to guide yourself into and past the paralysis stage basically.

If you have particularly bad hallucinatory episodes, one solution is to start sleeping on your stomach. The hallucinations and terror should subside, even if the paralysis does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I'm fkin plagued by it.Have been for years,kinda have a handle on it now thank god.Its terrifying.Hope it improves for you mate

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

I get it most nights and have had it regularly the past 2 years along with night terrors. Pretty frightening if it happens once off but with so many occurrences it can drain your energy during the day and keep you up all night. You don't want to sleep because it'll happen again so you stay up until you pass out from exhaustion.

In my night terrors I've seen everything from men raping me to seeing the people I love dying in front of me. Sleep paralysis is also terrifying in its own way, sometimes I see things, sometimes I don't. When I do it's usually men in suits leaning over me or a very old woman in the corner of my room looking at me.

I don't recommend it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

or a very old woman

That's whats reffered to as 'the old hag' very common with sleep paralysis.Total brainfcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Every damn night unless I'm pissed drunk. Usually within the first hour of sleep. Its either somebody standing over me or the baby falling and I need to try catch her. It takes it out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

I just made a post about this in paranormal forum yesterday :)

The reason I put it in paranormal is because when I get this, there's always an evil presence usually an evil kid in the dream and I somehow get lifted to the ceiling. It's so scary when it happens. Creeps me out for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭blackwave

Haven't had one in ages thankfully but thevworst one was in college think it was after rag week and I was staying in my house in college. Anyway woke up with a feeling of dread and couldn't move. I moved my eyes to the door of the room and there was a guy there sitting down with his face covered. He then ran at me with a knife. Not the most nicest experience now.I tend to get it when I have been heavy on the beer a few days and then sleeping with a hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

Somebody mentioned being brought to the ceiling. An outer body experience. That's what happened you. Your body is powerless not your mind. If you put every ounce of strength you can muster into moving you will release yourself kind of. Its a safety net of sorts and proves one can transend. You will be able watch the terror and your paralysed self from a up above. Do this once and your perspective of possibilities changes forever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

LucidLife wrote: »
    Somebody mentioned being brought to the ceiling. An outer body experience. That's what happened you. Your body is powerless not your mind. If you put every ounce of strength you can muster into moving you will release yourself kind of. Its a safety net of sorts and proves one can transend. You will be able watch the terror and your paralysed self from a up above. Do this once and your perspective of possibilities changes forever.

Or to put it another way, lay off the ecstacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Holy crap, it's actually a real thing. I had a few of those before and I just though it was completely fecked up dream.
    Last time I had it, I woke up and could not move a bit. My dog was barking like crazy, like someone was in the room. Creepiest fecking thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Used to happen to me years ago but thankfully not recently. The worst was I woke and a small Chinese guy was creeping into my room (my landlord was Chinese at the time and had a habit of just arriving unannounced in the house) anyway I couldn't move and was trying to roar at him but couldn't, I was absolutely terror stricken and it lasted maybe 30 seconds. I'm not sure how I snapped out of it. The last few times it happened I knew what it was and told myself just to relax and go back to sleep and then wake again normally...worked each time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Is it when you're lying in bed in an inert lump without the ability to move, feeling an overwhelming sense of terror while an older person, shouting, tries in vain to drag you out of the bed?

I suffered terribly from it Monday-Friday all the way though school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Holy crap, it's actually a real thing. I had a few of those before and I just though it was completely fecked up dream.
    Last time I had it, I woke up and could not move a bit. My dog was barking like crazy, like someone was in the room. Creepiest fecking thing ever.

Maybe someone was in the room... everyone that has this experience always feels like there is something or someone in the room with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

ChewyLewy wrote: »
    Sometimes get it the day after going on the beer. Scary stuff . Mentally I'm awake but then I just can't move my body.

Are you actually awake though?

I used to get it sometimes but not for years now.

You are 'awake' and trying to move and call out (to your partner or when you were a kid, to your parents) but you can't move or speak and you start to panic.

Always assumed that it's just a vivid dream: you're not actually awake and you actually 'wake' when you snap out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

LucidLife wrote: »

Get a friend to put a mystery object on a shelf that you can't see in normal day to day activity. Wait till you have an out of body experience and then come back and report what the object was as you look down from above.

(pro tip): You won't be able to do it because you're talking rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It's a long time since it happened to me,

I also have fell from a high cliff/building and can feel myself falling and falling and just before I hit the ground I wake up. Strange feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My scariest spell was about two weeks after my dad passed away. My dad had cancer, and I associate really hollow cheek bones with cancer now. When I think back on how my dad looked this time last year I'm looking at cancer, not at my dad. Annnnyway,

This night I was having this really scary dream. That this old lady, wild hair, wide eyes, that waxy skin.. And those hollow cheeks, well she grabbed me, and she was hugging me so tight, so tight that I couldn't even breath. I woke up in a panic, but I couldn't move, I still couldn't breathe, and it felt like she was still squeezing me tight. I wanted to scream and couldn't even scream.

I had absolutely no idea what was happening. It's happened a few times since but doesn't frighten me as much anymore but since that happened I'm very bad at sleeping, haven't really felt safe asleep since and I know how stupid and ridiculous that sounds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Get a friend to put a mystery object on a shelf that you can't see in normal day to day activity. Wait till you have an out of body experience and then come back and report what the object was as you look down from above.

(pro tip): You won't be able to do it because you're talking rubbish.

you can't decide when it's going to happen so the mystery object wouldn't work.

When it happened me it felt like I was being pulled to the ceiling. It happened only about 3 or 4 times in my life. I don't have the ability to turn around and look back at the bed to see if my body is there.

I just read up on it and it is a common thing in sleep paralysis but the experience is exactly the same as people have when they have an out of body near death experience. Something to do with waking up mid REM.

Advertisement