Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Christmas tree, life span?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, bit of a ridiculous question maybe :pac:

This is our first time out with a real Christmas tree this year, it's around 2 meters tall, fairly thick.

just wondering how long do they last? as in will we get until January out of it? we bought it on the 5th of this month and brought it indoors yesterday. call me paranoid but i'd swear it's wilted a bit already. maybe we bought too soon?

we really like it, much more so than the synthetic tree but we would be disappointed if it doesn't make it until January.

what are peoples experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

have you got a watering stand for it? if not, expect a brown droopy crunchy tree by christmas day! although, in fairness i had a blazing fire lit beside it daily the year that happened! i heard 7up is great to add to the water also, not sure why!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

We'll always cut a inch or so off the bottom and leave the tree soaking in a bucket of water for a few days. Seems to help keep its needles and colour. We'd get til 6th January no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

watering stand +1

As chocksaway says, best to cut an inch off the bottom of the trunk so it can soak up as much water as possible.

We dissolve about a tablespoon of sugar per litre of water (kinda like 7up as 'we'llallhavetea' suggested). You'll find that the tree will soak up about 2 litres a day for the first 2 or 3 days, then it won't take any more. Be careful not to over water, we did one year and water sat in the stand and went stagnant, stank the house :(

We started doing this a few years back and our trees have lasted (without wilting and smelling!) from about the 8th December to the 6th of January

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

we had got one of those iron bar cross type stands with the water cup built in but it was dismissed because "we couldn't put that on the new wooden floor", which i guess is fair, so we got one similar to this, its concrete with a plastic sleeve for the trunk:

mcNi3PgD_Go8zaqEJpPmoQA.jpg

i guess i will get a large bit, drill through the trunk at an angle downwards to the base of the pot and fill it up with water and hope for the best.

Advertisement