Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross on summit of Carrauntoohil cut down with angle grinder (Warning: contains TLAs)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,534 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sigh. The old numbers game. Let's play...

For starters we should disregard under-18s in the census who had their mammy tick the catholic box for them.
    We should disregard over-18s who had their mammy tick the catholic box for them, too :rolleyes:

We can't really take anything more from the very vague census question than this - those who ticked the catholic box were probably baptised as a catholic. It doesn't necessarily say anything about their current beliefs or practices. I've been deeply sceptical of religion for as long as I can remember, and an outright atheist almost all my adult life, yet I'd be perfectly entitled to tick the catholic box on the basis of what my parents did when I was a few weeks old.

At the time of the last census I recall hearing someone on the radio saying that all those baptised catholic must tick catholic on the census, regardless of their current view :rolleyes: there are certainly some 'once a catholic, always a catholic' types out there. The question as it stands is meaningless as so many contradictory interpretations can be put on it.

If we must have religion questions in the census, it would be better to have two - 'Under what religious tradition, if any, were you raised' and 'what is your current belief, if any'

Ultimately it's a futile argument though, even if 99% of Irish people were fully committed and rigorously observant catholics, it wouldn't give them the right to LORD it over everyone else, by erecting a cross on our highest peak for example. This is nothing more than marking territory as a dog does, and equally unpleasant.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

'The Carrauntoohil cross is a symbol of our community' http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-carrauntoohil-cross-is-a-symbol-of-our-community-30804931.html
    A statement entitled 'A View from the Top' on the video that was handed in to the Dublin offices of Journal.ie said: "148,000 children as young as four continue to be indoctrinated with a homophobic, sexist, sectarian dogma for at least 10pc of each school day. Non Catholic children, forced to attend these schools through lack of choice, are separated and excluded from their classmates for 'religious' reasons. Despite criticism from the UN Human Rights Commission, the Irish Government continues to fund and endorse this child abuse. If you agree with the reasons behind this act, then like and share this video."

So far, it has been shared over 1,600 times. Hundreds more have expressed their opinion, for and against, on the site. But how many of these actually live there?

if they are Irish, all of them.
    MICHAEL and Bernadette Foley can remember Sunday, May 29, 1977 clearly, as can most of their neighbours in Beaufort, Co Kerry.
    Michael, a member of the local community council, had been roped in with about 100 other volunteers for a special mission.

Many of those who re-erected it have no particular religious conviction, if any.

The cross wasn't put up as a religious symbol really, I don't think so anyway," Bernadette Foley added

would that means it was put up by members of Beaufort Parish Community Council? but not in a religious way?

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/iconic-cross-at-carrauntoohil-summit-is-mysteriously-cut-down/
    It was made by Liebherr in Killarney and carried in sections by parishioners from Beaufort Community Council to the summit of the mountain 38 years ago.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So the big giant cross wasn't put in a mountain for religious reasons now?

What's next? They are going to start claiming that cribs at Christmas are just about tradition and the have no religious meaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What is a cross a symbol of if not religion? Is it a lower case t or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

lazygal wrote: »

if it was a symbol for Tea I'd have a cross in every room in my house:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Username32

Cabaal wrote: »
    So the big giant cross wasn't put in a mountain for religious reasons now?

What's next? They are going to start claiming that cribs at Christmas are just about tradition and the have no religious meaning?

I can just see you now-balaclava adorned, hammer in one hand and the AI manifesto in the other..

and an angel grinder in your boot.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭TheChizler

"t... Time to leave?"

South Park fans might get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Cabaal wrote: »
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.....
    330984.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,157 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Username32 wrote: »
    ...and an angel grinder in your boot.

Bloody angels are always hanging around, sticking to people like a bad smell. You need an angel grinder to cut them off. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Username32 wrote: »
    I can just see you now-balaclava adorned, hammer in one hand and the AI manifesto in the other..

and an angel grinder in your boot.

ANGEL grinder???? :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think the census should really be filled in by each individual in private.

There are too many distorting factors:

1. Mammy or Daddy fills it in and tells you what religion you are (you cheeky pup!)
    2. Someone won't tell mammy or daddy that they're not Catholic/C of I etc
    3. The enumerator is known to the household, especially in small towns but even in suburban areas. So they don't think 'no religion' or whatever as it might 'look weird'.

As this stage you should be able to just complete the census online.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    1. Mammy or Daddy fills it in and tells you what religion you are (you cheeky pup!)
    3. The enumerator is known to the household, especially in small towns but even in suburban areas. So they don't think 'no religion' or whatever as it might 'look weird'.
    Maybe the issue is there's too many people living with mammy and daddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Absolam wrote: »

Maybe the issue is if you're financially reliant on and linked to your parents as a student you might not have a choice? Or the myriad other reasons people as adults live with their parents?

Maybe the issue is if you're financially reliant on and linked to your parents as a student you might not have a choice? Or the myriad other reasons people as adults live with their parents?
    So.... that would be the same issue then?

Absolam wrote: »

It could equally be a domineering partner, housemate or the enumerator being known to you.

Census should be confidential and individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,351 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Censuses throughout the world are taken up on a household rather than individual basis, and this has generally been found to be satisfactory. There isn't any evidence that the religion (or any other) statistics are so corrupted by collecting the information on a household basis that the trouble and expense of moving to a new system would be justified.

In fact, I'm not aware of any evidence, beyond anecdotal evidence and individual claims, that the religion figures are incorrect. When people are asked for religious identification in face-to-face surveys, is there a marked discrepancy between the figures that result from that and the census figures? If so, it should be easy to establish the fact, If not, where's the problem?

I take the point that where one person in the household answers questions on behalf of others, there is a risk of inaccuracy creeping in. There's no reason to think that this inaccuracy will be systematically biassed so as to understate levels of atheism, though, unless we assume that atheists, as a class, are more likely to live at home with mammy and daddy than the rest of the population, and less likely to have the kind of relationship with their families in which they can choose their own religious identification and have it respected within the family. And, if there is such a phenomenon, you'd like to think it's a transitional one, associated with the adolescent embrace of atheism. By the time of the next census they will hopefully have established homes of their own, and can fill out their own census returns. If atheists as a class have an enduring tendency to live at home with a mammy and a daddy parents who cannot respect their choices then, frankly, they have problems that are bigger than their representation in the census figures. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

The fact of the matter is that no matter the precaution, a survey like the census is not the correct way to be asking about issues as nuanced as religion. There are many other things that the census attempts to measure which don't fit either, like fluency in Irish.

Religion is like political views; to get a full and proper picture, one needs to be asked a large number of detailed questions, including scenarios built and possible solutions given along differing political lines, in a highly controlled environment before any questionner can be reliably certain as to a person's views in either area. For that reason polling companies, who are themselves far from being unflawed, are far more accurate in reading a nation's religious outlook (even though they only poll population samples), because they know what they need to ask and how to ask it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭swampgas

The fact of the matter is that no matter the precaution, a survey like the census is not the correct way to be asking about issues as nuanced as religion. There are many other things that the census attempts to measure which don't fit either, like fluency in Irish.

Religion is like political views; to get a full and proper picture, one needs to be asked a large number of detailed questions, including scenarios built and possible solutions given along differing political lines, in a highly controlled environment before any questionner can be reliably certain as to a person's views in either area. For that reason polling companies, who are themselves far from being unflawed, are far more accurate in reading a nation's religious outlook (even though they only poll population samples), because they know what they need to ask and how to ask it.

True. It's one thing basing political decisions on census data for things that are objective, such as where new schools might be needed, but making plans based on census data for religion is crazy.

In any case, in a modern, western, nominally secular country your religion (or lack of it) should not affect the quality of your education or medical care. The census data on religion should have next to no bearing on public policy.

swampgas wrote: »
    The census data on religion should have next to no bearing on public policy.

In my opinion, a properly functioning state wouldn't collect religious data as part of its periodic census. It is irrelevant to the proper running of any legitimate arm of any state, which should all be run on a secular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭swampgas

In my opinion, a properly functioning state wouldn't collect religious data as part of its periodic census. It is irrelevant to the proper running of any legitimate arm of any state, which should all be run on a secular basis.

I'd agree with that. It does seems that census designers are very conservative when changing census questions, to reduce the impact on like-with-like comparisons from one census to the next.

It would be interesting to know what the public reaction would be to the removal of the religion question completely - would most people even care?

And to go off topic completely: rather than have people tick a box that says they speak Irish, they should be required to fill out a Irish version of the census form.

• Advertisement

Some people would argue that asking if at all is grossly invasive.

I know one older protestant who will not fill that part in on the basis that she thinks it's absolutely none of the state's business and that Ireland has a worrying history of sectarianism so, she's just not interested in providing that kind of info.

Whole census should be done online in private tbh.

The census isn't just about running the state. It is also for gathering data for sociological purposes. And it is interesting and relevant to any sociological data gathering exercise.

katydid wrote: »
    The census isn't just about running the state. It is also for gathering data for sociological purposes. And it is interesting and relevant to any sociological data gathering exercise.

The data gathered for many issues such as religion and fluency in Irish is meaningless due to the massive bias in the census structure and fraud when the census is recorded. As a sociological document it was much more valuable when the enumerators went around to every house and collected the data themselves.

You've got opinion polls, scientifically done, which show consistently that 10% of the country is atheist and nearly half of it arreligious, yet the census is showing 85% catholic, 90% christian (any cult) and less than 1% atheist or arreligious. Any survey that is that off is junk.

The data gathered for many issues such as religion and fluency in Irish is meaningless due to the massive bias in the census structure and fraud when the census is recorded. As a sociological document it was much more valuable when the enumerators went around to every house and collected the data themselves.

You've got opinion polls, scientifically done, which show consistently that 10% of the country is atheist and nearly half of it arreligious, yet the census is showing 85% catholic, 90% christian (any cult) and less than 1% atheist or arreligious. Any survey that is that off is junk.
    What bias, what fraud?

There's no conflict between what people say on the census and how they define themselves in other contexts. They will write down Roman Catholic or whatever on the census, because that's what they are, culturally. They are whatever religion they say they are when it comes to getting married, or sending their kids to school or getting buried. But many are atheist in their private beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,157 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

...and less than 1% atheist or arreligious. Any survey that is that off is junk.

Don't know where you got that figure, Brian. 5.6%, the second largest grouping after RC, ticked 'No Religion'. Another 1.5% opted not to answer the question. And these figures don't include those who ticked 'Other' and entered 'Atheist' or 'Agnostic' in the text box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭obplayer

katydid wrote: »
    What bias, what fraud?

There's no conflict between what people say on the census and how they define themselves in other contexts. They will write down Roman Catholic or whatever on the census, because that's what they are, culturally. They are whatever religion they say they are when it comes to getting married, or sending their kids to school or getting buried. But many are atheist in their private beliefs.

Then they are atheists and filling in the form incorrectly. I don't say fraudulently because that tends to imply some sort of gain being the intent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Don't know where you got that figure, Brian. 5.6%, the second largest grouping after RC, ticked 'No Religion'. Another 1.5% opted not to answer the question. And these figures don't include those who ticked 'Other' and entered 'Atheist' or 'Agnostic' in the text box.

As this says, its a bit of a mess outside of the main few that are named. Some people say no religion, some say lapsed catholic, others like me would just put down no religion. It varies from person to person and some catholics would be the equivalent of lapsed catholic.

It isn't really much use outside of finding out what people consider themselves. You cant really pull anything about what they think from it. You need to go to the few surveys done on mass attendance, importance of religion, if they believe in god, etc to get information on what people actually believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,351 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As this says, its a bit of a mess outside of the main few that are named. Some people say no religion, some say lapsed catholic, others like me would just put down no religion. It varies from person to person and some catholics would be the equivalent of lapsed catholic.

It isn't really much use outside of finding out what people consider themselves. You cant really pull anything about what they think from it. You need to go to the few surveys done on mass attendance, importance of religion, if they believe in god, etc to get information on what people actually believe.
    But I don't think we're confined to one or the other, are we? Obviously we have the best overall picture if we have both the census figures for religious identification and more detailed qualitative research on the diversity of belief and/or practice encompassed within various religious identifications.

And this cuts both ways, incidentally. The "Atheist" and "no religion" categories can also contain a variety of beliefs and a variety of attitudes to religion. And with both these categories growing rapidly in Ireland (we know this because of the census, Brian, is that also "meaningless"?) we are probably in need of some qualitative research into what the unbelievers believe and/or practice.

The results might be surprising. I'm not aware of any research into this in Ireland (there's a project for you, Atheist Ireland!) but I have seen a survey in the US which looked at people who identified as either atheist or agnostic. 16% said that religion was either very important or somewhat important to them. (Comparable figure for those who identified as having no religion: 42%; for those with a religious affiliation; 91%). 7% of atheists/agnostics said they were religious; 34% were "spiritual but not religious"; only 57% were neither. Startlingly, 24% of atheists/agnostics were either absolutely certain or fairly certain of the existence of a god or universal spirit. Another 14% had some degree of openness to the possibility while only 54% excluded it entirely. 6% of atheists/agnostics reported that they prayed daily(!) and a further 11% at least monthly. 75% of atheists/agnostics believed that religion plays an important role in helping the poor, 73% that it is important in building community bonds and 35% thought that churches, etc, contribute a great deal, or some, to solving important social problems. 35% also agreed that churches, etc, protect and strengthen morality in society.

I am not suggesting, of course, that these results would be replicated in Ireland. But they do make the point that the realities of atheism as she is lived may not correspond to the stereotypes we carry around, and unless and until research of this kind is done in Ireland we know much less about the beliefs and attitudes of atheists, agnostics and no-religionists than we do about Catholics, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

That's a very encouraging piece of research! I'm loving how the Irish are the only people who do not skip or refuse to answer this question: "Irrespective of whether you attend a place of worship or not, would you say you are a religious
    person, not a religious persons or a convinced atheist?" To me, it shows a greater degree of thought on the subject.

Advertisement