Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

jd wrote: »
    Yes
    It'll be DC/Motorway from Dublin to just north of Oylegate, and eventually,(maybe within the next 7-10 years), to Rosslare,

Honestly believe it when I see it. Will do well to get the N25 New Ross and N11 Enniscorthy bypasses done I reckon, that would be major progress. Not sure how high the other projects rank, I'd guess there's a lot of others ahead on the priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

While the New Ross Enniscorthy bypasses are feasible and probably will happen next year, I can't see a M/ DC road past Oylegate. Oylegate, Ferrybank, Tagoat and Kilrane have no problems with traffic or trucks, the road is already fine imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

man98 wrote: »
    While the New Ross Enniscorthy bypasses are feasible and probably will happen next year, I can't see a M/ DC road past Oylegate. Oylegate, Ferrybank, Tagoat and Kilrane have no problems with traffic or trucks, the road is already fine imo.
    The process for Rosslare-Enniscorthy is stalled at the moment, but if/when the road is built it will be at least Type 2 (2+2) Dual Carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

jd wrote: »
    The process for Rosslare-Enniscorthy is stalled at the moment, but if/when the road is built it will be at least Type 2 (2+2) Dual Carriageway.
    I know all of this, but I still see little point in building a new road. Not that I'm anti-development, but all that's need is possibly 2+2 around Wexford and through Ferrycarrig, along with 2+1 to Rosslare or Oylegate covering the existing route.

man98 wrote: »
    I know all of this, but I still see little point in building a new road. Not that I'm anti-development, but all that's need is possibly 2+2 around Wexford and through Ferrycarrig, along with 2+1 to Rosslare or Oylegate covering the existing route.
    We're kind off topic at this point, but the NRA aren't going to build any more 2+1's. There isn't much difference in land take between them and 2+2's (of the Rooskey scheme standard :) )

n41-large.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Fixed that for ya ;o)

The project to upgrade the single-carriageway section of the A8 in Northern Ireland to dual-carriageway is coming along nicely.

Once that's done, and the Enniscorthy bypass is finished, it'll be motorway/dual-carriageway all the way from north of Oylgate to Larne Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Given that both south Wales ports don't have dc or motorway nearby on a road that connects London and more to them I would doubt we could go one better this side. So no oilgate etc bypass in our Lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭NedNew2

Whilst westwards traffic coming off the new Barrow Bypass bridge can continue it's journey on the N25 towards Waterford & beyond, the traffic that wants to access the M9 motorway northwards towards Dublin & the midlands will have to still travel up the west side of the river (via the current section of the N25 towards New Ross) to access the R704.

A short spur road on the west side of the new bridge going north west towards a connection with the R704 would avoid bringing this traffic up to the west side of New Ross / Rosbercon.

And the R704 is a dangerous road, Heavy Goods Vehicles are now being advised to access Ross via the M9 & N25.

I think that would be a great idea too. There's a lot of transport lorries (Nolan Transport) that use the R705 from Muine Bheag on their way to New Ross from Dublin. There is a sign on the exit from the M9 to R704 from Mullinivat that discourages lorried from using that route. With small improvements then these lorries could avoid Muine Bheag, Borris and Graignamanagh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Given that both south Wales ports don't have dc or motorway nearby on a road that connects London and more to them I would doubt we could go one better this side. So no oilgate etc bypass in our Lifetime

You would think, but nonetheless such a road is planned. It's unclear why considering far more important schemes are on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

The current NRA plan is for a Type 2 dual-carriageway from the terminus of the Enniscorthy bypass to Rosslare Port.

I don't know what age you are so I can't say if it'll be built in your lifetime or not! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The current NRA plan is for a Type 2 dual-carriageway from the terminus of the Enniscorthy bypass to Rosslare Port.

I don't know what age you are so I can't say if it'll be built in your lifetime or not! :D

Type 2 until South of Wexford and meet with the N25 which will be Type 1/Motorway between Rosslare-West of Waterford Bypass, Dungarvan Bypass and East of Youghal to Cork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Type 2 until South of Wexford and meet with the N25 which will be Type 1/Motorway between Rosslare-West of Waterford Bypass, Dungarvan Bypass and East of Youghal to Cork.
    Not sure that's right - the only Type 1 planned for the N25 is Waterford to Glenmore. All the rest will be 2+2 or singler.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

N25 Carrigtwohill - Midleton upgrade was planned to be Type 1, as was Midleton to Youghal. I'd imagine Type 2 for everything else remaining.

Moving on a bit
    http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/consortium-led-by-construction-group-bam-in-pole-position-to-win-220m-road-contract-1.2030291
    A consortium led by construction group BAM is in pole position to win a €220 million road building contract from the State. BAM has confirmed that the National Roads Authority has announced it as the preferred bidder for the N25 New Ross bypass in the southeast.
    The announcement means its consortium, BAM Iridium, is the most likely candidate for the contract, which is valued at €220 million.
    The work will involve a bridge over the river Barrow, a railway bridge at Glenmore, dual and single carriageway stretches of road and three roundabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

'Only' €220m? I'm very surprised at that. Its a short distance of road, but getting Ireland Longest Bridge in there for that price is quite the achievement I reckon.

I hope we have a NewRoss-er on these forums to take photos of its construction!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A railway bridge? Really?
    when did the last train go through Glenmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭NedNew2

A railway bridge? Really?
    when did the last train go through Glenmore?

The early 1980's. It was freight only then.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

NedNew2 wrote: »

Good to see that the line is being preserved though, whether it be for the planned greenway or the much likely return of the train! Forward thinking nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

NedNew2 wrote: »

Good to see that the line is being preserved though, whether it be for the planned greenway or the much less likely return of the train! Forward thinking nonetheless!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Any word on the enniscorthy by pass that was supposed to commence at the same time as New Ross?

• Advertisement

barney 20v wrote: »
    Any word on the enniscorthy by pass that was supposed to commence at the same time as New Ross?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90040076#post90040076

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Where can I find map of the planned New Ross bypass?
    Ideally showing layout of the junctions and other details not just the route.
    But even just the route map would be good for the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Geogregor wrote: »
    Where can I find map of the planned New Ross bypass?
    Ideally showing layout of the junctions and other details not just the route.
    But even just the route map would be good for the beginning.

Taken from the 2007 EIS:

Scheme Route:

http://www.wexford.ie/wex/Departments/Roads/NationalRoadsLiaisonOffice/M11GoreytoEnniscorthyScheme/Thefile,8141,en.pdf

Alignment Drawings:

http://www.wexford.ie/largefiles/EIS/Vol2/Figure%2003.1%20a%20to%20k.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

tonc76 wrote: »

Thanks.
    Do we know anything more about the bridge design? I mean the long one, over the river Barrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭bizguy

Are they nasty non-futureproof roundabouts at the two N25 junctions? At the western end of the scheme, the New Ross bypass has to be a mainline with slips off it for the existing N25 north and south with the future Slieverue to Glenmore scheme to join in seamlessly from the west. Is the bypass even DC?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bizguy wrote: »
    Is the bypass even DC?

Its going to be T2 DC I believe. Roundabouts are normal on T2DC unfortunately.

It'll be much better than what's there but a bit of an opportunity lost I think.

Does anyone know if the Waterford bypass is Type 2 as well? Reason I ask is a) it's also the N25 and b) because this has 2 GSJs on it with roundabouts at each end. According to maps I've seen, the eastern roundabout will be removed if and when the Slieverue scheme goes ahead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

bizguy wrote: »
    It'll be much better than what's there but a bit of an opportunity lost I think.

Does anyone know if the Waterford bypass is Type 2 as well? Reason I ask is a) it's also the N25 and b) because this has 2 GSJs on it with roundabouts at each end. According to maps I've seen, the eastern roundabout will be removed if and when the Slieverue scheme goes ahead.

No, the Waterford Bypass is HQDC standard (Type 1)

L1011 wrote: »
    No, the Waterford Bypass is HQDC standard (Type 1)

Thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Ireland's great at going backwards before realizing we should of done something else.

I guess it wouldn't take massive works to upgrade the Type 1 in future but it would be a unnecessary expense.

Advertisement