Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When do you open presents?

Options
  • 04-12-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

We always open presents in the morning as soon as we are all awake.

Always have, probably always will.

Of course we open others in the day if we are visiting, basically you get it = you open it!

So those who wait until afternoon while the "Big" presents sit under the tree - why do you do it and what do you do in the morning?

How do you distract the children and make it so they don't want to open stuff immediately in the morning?

Share your presents techniques and traditions peeps......
    Take turns?
    All at once?
    First thing or strictly after dinner?

Presents tradition - when do you open your Big / Santa presents? 67 votes

First thing on Christmas day morning?
    0% 0 votes
    Christmas Eve?
    88% 59 votes
    Christmas Day afternoon?
    11% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Always in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

In her parents house first thing in the morning - all of them. In my parents house Santa comes in the morning and all of the other presents are opened after dinner. I prefer the latter becaus it spreads it gives them something in the morning to explore and play with while still leaving something to look forward to later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Usually all in the morning. Maybe one small one Xmas eve

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't get up early enough to see that much of the morning on Christmas Day!! :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I don't get up early enough to see that much of the morning on Christmas Day!! :o

What? It's the one day of the year I don't mind waking up early for! The excitement! Eeek!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Myself and Mrs B do them Christmas eve, around 8pm. The kids though, in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Opened a really beautiful gift on christmas eve one year. Never again. Had nothing nice for the day itself:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Christmas day or Eve, when we are all together. With work, that has included on Xmas Eve night, Xmas Day Morning, or Xmas Day Afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Christmas stockings and when we where kids Santa presents in the morning, all other presents in the early evening after dessert. It was always the way growing up and now that I am married and we still do the same. No kids in the house.

So this year it will be my husband and I opening the stockings first thing in morning and we are hosting dinner for 10 so all the rest of the presents will be opened after dinner. We open them one watching what the other person got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I wake mam Christmas morning to tell her Santa has been :D

I'm 30 after Christmas :o

My mam has always had a gift in her hands but for as long as i remember she waits until all presents are opened before she even attempts to open her own :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »
    What? It's the one day of the year I don't mind waking up early for! The excitement! Eeek!
    Nothing. And I mean nothing will get me out of bed early unless I absolutely have to. Even as a child I didn't get up very early on Christmas Day. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

We will exchange gifts on Monday and probably open a few then, for various reasons we won't be together as a family on the day so we'll have a mini Christmas Sunday and Monday... which reminds me, must put the tree up... It will be our last all - adult Christmas, it will be so nice to have Santa visiting the family again next year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Always first thing in the morning.
    Loughc wrote: »

I'm the exact same. No matter how late I go to bed on Christmas eve, I'll be up early on Christmas day!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

When we were younger, it was always first thing. Now that there's no kids in the house, Dad cooks breakfast, we all head to mass together for 10:30, and presents are opened as soon as we are home. So it's always morning, just not first thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Friend of mine and her family open the presents after their dinner on Christmas Day.

While I like the novelty of that, I really feel it's all about the morning; the excitement of the morning, then having all day to mess around/play with your gifts.

I've slightly eked it out in recent years to prolong the excitement so now we get up at around 8am, put a fry on, open some champagne (Aldi Monsigny-nicer than Moet!), then we open gifts.

I hand my other half his pile of gifts and he hands me mine.
    We then take it turns to open one each, all the while having our champers.

It's a nice little ritual we like now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 danceash

first thing Christmas morning, just culdn't wait till later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Usually on Xmas morning, not super early, around 11ish normally, a while after we get up usually.

When I was a child we would be up super early, and if we were in my relatives house we'd be up around 5am, do the presents, then head back to bed for sleep and then get up around 10ish and play with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Christmas Morning as we're all up. Our parents still lay out our presents under the tree even though we're now 17 and 28!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Christmas Morning as we're all up. Our parents still lay out our presents under the tree even though we're now 17 and 28!

Please, Brother and myself are 31 and 28- we still get Santy bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yeah, we still get Santa in some way. If we're all at home we get our presents in the same place we always got them and if we're elsewhere (like if I'm with my husband's family) Santa delivers a box of presents early to my husband when we're with my family before Christmas. (To be hidden away and only opened on Christmas morning!)

We open all our presents on Christmas morning, taking turns to open one at a time. If I'm with my family we get a stocking outside our bedroom doors to open before we get out of bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Well it's all about Santa for our 6 year old little girl...so very early on Xmas morning, very very very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭kimmykins

anything that's under the tree I open as soon as I wake up and then anything else given by visitors throughout the day I try to wait until they're gone but usually have a sneaky peek if I can get away with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I wake early with excitement, heading straight for my stocking then head downstairs to exchanges kisses & hugs then open presents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Christmas Eve. The earlier the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Santa didn't get to our house till 7am :) so at 7 my big brother had the very important job of collecting our stocking from the spare room and then we all piled into parents room to open stockings. After that Dad went down and turned on heat and tree etc and we all ranked down and mam took her place by the tree and we went one by one :) lasted ages :)

Now we are grown up Santa still comes but we open our stockings in the living room.... Wouldn't be appropriate for the husbands and wives to pile onto parents bed :) but the rest is still the same including mam asking what we got in iut stockings :) 32,34,38... Still get Santa presents :)

This year is first with my daughter so will be up early and we will open our little family stockings while waiting for my parents to wake and then will head down and open out presents to each other but wait for all other presents until my siblings arrive from their houses with kids.... Going to be madness.... I can't wait!!!

Advertisement