Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭dubrov

I'm amazed that Sky Sports are putting there price up given they no longer have one of the key Premiership packages.
    That must be saving them millions every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭clevtrev

dubrov wrote: »
    I'm amazed that Sky Sports are putting there price up given they no longer have one of the key Premiership packages.

SKy and BT are paying £6.6m per match now whereas in the previous deal for Sky they were paying 4.4m. The premiership teams are the real winners out of this with an annual payment of £1billion although Im sure Sky are making a few quid too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

jay0109 wrote: »
    They just confirmed to me that Sky Sports goes up to €40 in February because Sky have increased the price to them....so now you know where your money goes when your hear of Prem Lg getting a record new deal!
    Offered it to me for 37e now and I asked for a 20% discount which I was told a few months ago was there for me to avail of. But they seem to be toughening up, as they said no way to the 20% now because I'm already on a discounted overall package price. So I said we'll leave it so

Time to start hopping between Sky and UPC in alternate years to bag the best discounts
    Do you still need a landline for Sky?

No land line required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

bromley52 wrote: »
    No land line required.

For their broadband, you do.

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I caved today. Was due to be cut off midweek so I rang them up and took their previous offer. 1/2 price for 6 month. Said the prices are going up €5 in January so I can change my contract then, but doubtful anything will be like 1/2 price for 6 month.

Not delighted, but realistically, they're own only option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭itsnotmyfault

dubrov wrote: »

Strange thing is, having looked at the talk to sky forum about their price increases, it's their basic and variety prices going up and NOT sports or movies so you have question if Sky really are increasing the price of sports to upc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭P.o.p.p.y

Been with UPC 8 years, contract is was up yesterday so sent my cancellation notice last month, got a call two days later to collect the equipment. A week later got a call from the retention team offering me a new deal, 120mg broadband 40 extra tv channels and sky sports for 87.80 for 12 months, said I would think about it rang them the following week to accept and they said they had no idea what I was talking about and offered me 96 Euro for first six months and 126 euro thereafter. Long storey short cancelled tv with them ordered 120mg broadband for 44 a month and got half price sky sports and tv from sky for 36 Euro a month for 12 months, total price 80 Euro for 12 months. Don't think I will ever go back to UPC for tv. Terrible service always cutting off the last 5 mins of recorded shows, not recording some at all. Delighted now that they have no regard for their customers as have a much better deal with much better service now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

My 12 month broadband contract is up this month. Any idea how id go about getting cheaper broadband with them now that its expired? Ive no interested in the TV package and will not be taking anything... any tips all?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

So my contract is up 16th Jan with upc and I called up today to cancel

So they offering me My basic tv, phone, broadband and all sky sports & movies for 69euro for first 6 months and after that will be 102

So if I was to get the sky deal on the groupon with broadband extra what would I be paying? UPC rep guy was trying to tell me sky broadband is slow and I be paying 30 line rental on top that sky are not telling me about...

Also he said that I'd have no itv/utv and other stations etc on the sky.. So guys is he waffling or what and is the sky offer with broadband included still be cheaper for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So my contract is up 16th Jan with upc and I called up today to cancel

So they offering me My basic tv, phone, broadband and all sky sports & movies for 69euro for first 6 months and after that will be 102

100 quid a month is nuts IMO. Netflix or similar for films would save you a fortune. Do you really need a landline phone? :)
    Also he said that I'd have no itv/utv and other stations etc on the sky.. So guys is he waffling or what and is the sky offer with broadband included still be cheaper for me?

Only till January 1st.. then UTV Ireland launches and is already testing on Sky (will also be recordable like any other channel). He is right about the other ITV channels though but you can add these manually (no TV Guide for them though and not recordable)

Really the main advantage to Sky is a better box/user interface - UPC Horizon seems to get very mixed reviews - and more channels (of argable quality)

UPC however has the best broadband in the country

Depends what you want really :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    100 quid a month is nuts IMO. Netflix or similar for films would save you a fortune. Do you really need a landline phone? :)

Only till January 1st.. then UTV Ireland launches and is already testing on Sky (will also be recordable like any other channel). He is right about the other ITV channels though but you can add these manually (no TV Guide for them though and not recordable)

Really the main advantage to Sky is a better box/user interface - UPC Horizon seems to get very mixed reviews - and more channels (of argable quality)

UPC however has the best broadband in the country

Depends what you want really :)

Cheers for the input.. as for the movies it's free when I buy the sports so makes no odds really..

I don't want a phone at all but they keep saying it's free every time I renew

I only need broadband for online ps4 gaming and general browsing on phones and laptop so would sky broadband be any use?

I'm just head melted at this stage.. I was thinking the groupon deal for 46 per month with sky and upc broadband for 37 per month

I cancelled my upc last week and got sky tv, you do have utv, itv etc you just can't record it but it's makes no difference as tv3 basically play the exact same programs if you want to record, I kept my upc broadband. Now paying 36 to sky for tv sports etc and 34 to upc for 120mb broadband. Works out much cheaper and have the best of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

P.o.p.p.y wrote: »
    I cancelled my upc last week and got sky tv, you do have utv, itv etc you just can't record it but it's makes no difference as tv3 basically play the exact same programs if you want to record, I kept my upc broadband. Now paying 36 to sky for tv sports etc and 34 to upc for 120mb broadband. Works out much cheaper and have the best of both worlds.

The price for 120mb BB is that for 12months? and does it include the €7.50 pm standalone charge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Out of contract myself in 2nd week of January after a year(think)on the basic tv and 50 m unlimtied internet
    Any advice what I should do? New account in gfs name

Hi Heisenberg, yes that's for 12 months, no stand alone charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

Has anyone managed to get the 50% off any package deal in the last few months from the loyalty team now that they have increased prices and broken the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭A Law

Best they did for me was 6 months have price and 6months full price. Cancelled anyway. Thing that annoyed me was that they take the router back after you cancel.

Was this through the loyalty dept? I've heard that they're only offering 6month deals now

I've managed to get the half price deal now for a while. Think ill have to put the account in someone else's name- doubt they will give the deal out again

Yep, loyalty department alright. Is 6months half price not the best deal around so would there be any point in putting it in a different name?

Yep, loyalty department alright. Is 6months half price not the best deal around so would there be any point in putting it in a different name?

I'm still hoping to get the 12month 50% off deal, I know it's more difficult but have heard of a few cases over the past few months

Pity Upc don't offer any deals on the Bt/Setanta package - I see it's gone up to 19 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    I'm still hoping to get the 12month 50% off deal, I know it's more difficult but have heard of a few cases over the past few months

Pity Upc don't offer any deals on the Bt/Setanta package - I see it's gone up to 19 now

Was on half price at 36 per month

Told it was increasing by 13

So new monthly free would be 85

I am moving to a broadband and phone service only, at 35 euro a month for the first 6 months, then 45 euro a month, for a 12 month contract.

They had no problem with me cancelling tv service , seems like they've givem up on it, unlike last years conversation with loyalty

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Best they did for me was 6 months have price and 6months full price. Cancelled anyway. Thing that annoyed me was that they take the router back after you cancel.

I dont know why people give back the routers, just ignore one or two requests and they'll go away. I still have my last two routers from them, one reconfigured and one as a spare for network cabling.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I dont know why people give back the routers, just ignore one or two requests and they'll go away. I still have my last two routers from them, one reconfigured and one as a spare for network cabling.

I read somewhere that they charge you €100 if you dont return it. Scare tactics then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I read somewhere that they charge you €100 if you dont return it. Scare tactics then?

There certainly used to be a charge. Make sure you keep track of where the equipment is.

The last time I was with UPC, I cancelled the account at the end of April 2011 and gave them contact details for collecting the equipment from my new address. They didn't come looking for it until the end of January 2012, nine months later.

When they did contact me, it was a text telling me that they'd call to collect it in the next couple of days and that if they couldn't get it they'd bill me for the €100. Thankfully, I knew where the stuff was and was available to hand it over. If I had lost track of it or been away for that week, it would have cost me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I am out of contract this month. Best they offered me was 50% off for 4 months and then back to full price. U wanted to downgrade package but still to expensive. Cancelation email sent

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭theintern

Pushed them on the phone this morning, but couldn't even get the 50% for 6 months, they're getting tight with the discounts. Basically got about 20 off for 6 months. Reasonably happy, but not as much as others here have been getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Has anyone managed to get a reduction on a broadband/phone package only? Tried it in online chat there and was given short shrift...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

They seems to be playing hardball this year with negotiations. Probably lost a fair bit last year, all the concessions

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There certainly used to be a charge. Make sure you keep track of where the equipment is.

The last time I was with UPC, I cancelled the account at the end of April 2011 and gave them contact details for collecting the equipment from my new address. They didn't come looking for it until the end of January 2012, nine months later.

When they did contact me, it was a text telling me that they'd call to collect it in the next couple of days and that if they couldn't get it they'd bill me for the €100. Thankfully, I knew where the stuff was and was available to hand it over. If I had lost track of it or been away for that week, it would have cost me.

9 months is a ridiculously long amount of time to collect a router that likely gets thrown out or maybe passed en masse to the African markets or similar. If I find myself in that position I'll go hunting for their business reply code and post it to them myself, at their expense. Cos there's no way I'm storing a router for them while they lie in the long grass and try to catch me out with 48 hours notice when I could well be away for a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Muahahaha wrote: »
    9 months is a ridiculously long amount of time to collect a router that likely gets thrown out or maybe passed en masse to the African markets or similar. If I find myself in that position I'll go hunting for their business reply code and post it to them myself, at their expense. Cos there's no way I'm storing a router for them while they lie in the long grass and try to catch me out with 48 hours notice when I could well be away for a few days.

I didn't hear from them for 3 weeks, got in touch and told them that it had to be collected by COB the following Friday or it would be in the bin, guy collected it on the Tuesday.

Advertisement