Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Road Signage Pictures

Options

Comments

murphaph wrote: »
    No U turn signs are common enough. Anyway, the blue signs are a better way of doing it as you can more easily depict the allowed movements (and by inference the disallowed movements) at complex junctions. Not all junctions are crossroads or T junctions.

There is simply no reason to mix n' match the positive and negative version of the same instruction. The example of Germany shows it is superfluous to use both.
    It's more an attitude thing! Germans assume that if they're permitted to do "A" then everything else is forbidden, Irish on the other hand will usually try to do everything unless it is specifically prohibited.

I must admit that no left & right turn (or even U turn) signs at merges are a bit excessive, you would have to be seriously insane to (or on the run) to want turn around and drive against the flow of traffic, in Spain they just have the blue arrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

daymobrew wrote: »
    On Wolfe Tone Quay the signs about the bus lanes and merging says "Mon - Sath", probably because the Irish above it is "Luan - Sath"
    The typos are on a sticker so easy to fix.

Here is a blurry Street View image Google Maps.

I'll report it to Fix Your Street.
    I can beat that. On Wyckham Way in Dundrum, we have what I think is a newly installed sign showing the time limits.

But time limits for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

67a3eea3785f02c73eea3200148457a3__20140916062909.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

chewed wrote: »

Well, they had no right turn arrows to put on the sign :pac:

If that is current, you can report it here: http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-your-council/isupport

Is that Portland Row?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It should have been a right turn arrow painted on the sign, not the words "right turn arrow" in English and Irish.

One has to wonder at the mentality of the people who a) constructed it and b) installed it. It surely could not be beyond their intelligence to realise that it was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

That sign refers to the filter arrow for traffic turning from Portland Row on to Amiens St.; it doesn't light up during those hours. The wording could be phrased better I'm sure, and would make more sense attached to the signal pole as opposed to across the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They roll it up all the arrows and store them in a big shed like on Craggy Island

Mrs Doyle gives them a quick wash and iron.

Correct terminology is :

Right filter light does not operate between 16 and 19h Mon to Fri.

I assume they want to encourage maximum congestion by queuing right turn traffic ... .?

• Advertisement

Presumeably not lighting the filter arrow allows slightly more green time to be given to traffic coming from Seville Place without delaying Amiens St. Not sure how many vehicles use that right turn in the evening peak.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I assume they want to encourage maximum congestion ... .?

DCC encourage congestion? Surely not! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Drove on the Urlingford - Kilkenny road over the weekend, the amount of vandalised road signs in some sort of hurling grafitti p*ssing contest is beyond belief.
    Grow up, lads.

Drove on the Urlingford - Kilkenny road over the weekend, the amount of vandalised road signs in some sort of hurling grafitti p*ssing contest is beyond belief.
    Grow up, lads.

Considering how much they cost, that's a few quid off the Kilkenny road surfacing and public housing budgets or an extra 15% on your LPT if the county runs out of cash.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Considering how much they cost, that's a few quid off the Kilkenny road surfacing and public housing budgets or an extra 15% on your LPT if the county runs out of cash.

That's if, they're bothered about cleaning or replacing them signs with cheery slogans like 'Tipp Gays' scrawled on them.

That's if, they're bothered about cleaning or replacing them signs with cheery slogans like 'Tipp Gays' scrawled on them.

Great for tourism if you're trying to attract low spending, knuckle dragging homophobic types who can't spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

^^^
    Still has the counter-intuitive red circle!

Looks like it means park if you have either a ticket or a permit.
    Would be bad if it meant that permit holders had to buy tickets as well.
    Perhaps it should have an or instead of an and there.

• Advertisement

Bilingual signage for placenames, fair enough. But for signs conveying other information, i.e. parking, just a waste of time and money. But of course some one of the Taliban here would write a strongly worded letter of complaint that his/her rights were infringed.:rolleyes:

Oh yes, never spotted that!
    Must have been set by someone listening to that DJ on "Iradio" who speaks English with Irish words thrown in randomly. :P

You could probably argue that sign is meaningless in Irish or in English.

They need to just outright stop using red circles.

Is it a sort of expression of Eurosceptic politics or something?
    I can never understand why Ireland insists on using weird non standard stuff like this. It's not even legacy UK issues either.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

Is there a guide for this in the latest TSM?
    Obviously language placement issues too ��

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

brandodub wrote: »
    Is there a guide for this in the latest TSM?
    Obviously language placement issues too ��

There sure is Chapter 5.....can't really understand how someone can get a sign so wrong when it's all laid out for them in the manual......

[IMG][/img]869e3846c71050d33b0ea7e608f7bbbb.jpg

49ac154ace043862c328d77f02520a96.jpg

WHY is that not replaced by a blue sign with a white P in the rules?

I think a good EU directive is long overdue.

The electronic signs in Dublin were displaying a bike and a pedestrian in a red circle recently just to underline to all UK and Continental drivers that both pedestrians and bikes are completely banned in the city centre I assume....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'n my experience, there are many more Irish road users than foreign road users. I don't see why foreigners shouldn;t learn the rules of our roads before using them here.

I do when I'm abroad. ( learn the rules of the foreign country I'm in...)

I'n my experience, there are many more Irish road users than foreign road users. I don't see why foreigners shouldn;t learn the rules of our roads before using them here.

The problem is the ones that don't comply with the "universal" rules, At least the old one way signs were replaced as they meant "not that way" everywhere else.

The parking signs still give that message!

Also the main reason for having standard signs is so you don't have to learn a whole new set and have to remind yourself that the red circle has the opposite meaning (sometimes).

Lethal if you forget which is which at the wrong time.

Because we live in a single big EU with freedom of movement and an expectation of being able to understand symbolic signage.

Even non EU countries in Europe follow the Vienna Convention signage. It's designed to make life easier and safer.

Having daft home brew signs also means that Irish people driving in Europe don't understand that a red circle means something is forbidden.

I can see absolutely no argument for keeping them. Our version isn't any clearer and there's just no logic in continuing to use it.

Having different signage is one thing but having signage with the polar opposite meaning to the Europe wide and general international standards is just bloody stupid, isolationist ridiculousness.

I don't think having diamond warning signs is a big deal aslong as we stick to the Vienna Convention symbols but the regulatory signs should be harmonised with the rest of Europe. It's just utter nonsense.

We changed to km/h yet we can't change the non standard signage?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement