Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BANGERNOMICS CAR OF THE WEEK/DAY

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

'06 Punto
    Test March '16
    Tax August '15
    Asking €2,100

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto/8100219

35059096.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Pretty sure I've posted both that punto and panda already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Pretty sure I've posted both that punto and panda already :)

If I'm not mistaken, that panda been re-listed multiple times for the past few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

W123-80's wrote: »
    '06 Punto
    Test March '16
    Tax August '15
    Asking €2,100

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto/8100219

35059096.jpeg

Bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

W123-80's wrote: »
    How bad are these? Or is it simply a case of no market 'cause the badge is wrong?
    '07 Chevrolet Aveo
    Test Jan '17
    Asking €1,950

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/chevrolet-aveo-1-2-ls-nct-28-01-2017/8128927

35192433.jpeg

A lot better than you'd think, not only reliable, but reasonably good to drive, simple older opel bits in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

percy212 wrote: »

I posted that up a few pages ago. Think it was more expensive then.
    500e with NCT and the belt done (needs proof). At this point with that job done the car is almost for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

There is something up with it at that price.

• Advertisement

NCT is legit anyway. I would also expect there to be something up with it. Or it could be a genuine bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

12-13 year old Alfa with a "big" petrol engine.

It's not totally implausible it's a genuine bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

percy212 wrote: »
    You do understand that this thread is to recommend cars yeah?
    Read the first post in this thread.

Unless of courses you meant to say "run to this car..." :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

http://www.adverts.ie/6947828

Were those Isuzu units any good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Bigus wrote: »
    A lot better than you'd think, not only reliable, but reasonably good to drive, simple older opel bits in them.

So drives like a wheelbarrow full of potatoes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

JJJJNR wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/6947828

Were those Isuzu units any good.

Its lasted 231,000 miles so far. How bad can it be? But €1500?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bigus wrote: »

They are an appalling car without any redeeming features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'd really like one of those for some reason.

Any BMW ad without the line "Ideal drifting car" should be a good one!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Yes I meant run to buy it asap. Its called humour.
    biko wrote: »
    You do understand that this thread is to recommend cars yeah?
    Read the first post in this thread.

Unless of courses you meant to say "run to this car..." :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

This is by far a better car than tge likes of a Golf, a3, c class, S40 or astra.

Sneaky way to catch those searches! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Sneaky way to catch those searches! :pac:

You do see the likes of that being done all the time though one way or another. Hardly that new :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-vti-dohc-swap-for-is200-or-passat/8150064

Despite being a Honda enthusiast the owner seems to be looking to swap for a Passat/ IS200/ Glanza. I'd guess for a cash sale he'd do it for less than the 1500 asking....It would seem well minded, NCT 08/15; 126K miles. Possibly the cheapest clean and original VTEC Civic you will find, albeit what will be to most a less desirable 5 door.

Would I drive is?...all day long;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You do see the likes of that being done all the time though one way or another. Hardly that new :)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/honda-civic-vti-dohc-swap-for-is200-or-passat/8150064

Despite being a Honda enthusiast the owner seems to be looking to swap for a Passat/ IS200/ Glanza. I'd guess for a cash sale he'd do it for less than the 1500 asking....It would seem well minded, NCT 08/15; 126K miles. Possibly the cheapest clean and original VTEC Civic you will find, albeit what will be to most a less desirable 5 door.

Would I drive is?...all day long;)
    Very practical car, pity there isn't any interior shots though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

. Possibly the cheapest clean and original VTEC Civic you will find...
    Not original enough with that air filter substitute. What are these guys try to achieve with that stupid things, apart from doing more damage to the engine I have no idea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Seweryn wrote: »
    Not original enough with that air filter substitute. What are these guys try to achieve with that stupid things, apart from doing more damage to the engine I have no idea...

The majority of Hondas, especially the B Series engines, do tend to make noticeably more power with a cold air intake or even just more open filter like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

True but what 1998 car is 100% original at this stage? Please feel free to find me another 1998 car, most specifically a VTEC Civic that is as clean and original as that one asking bangernomics money. They may be out there but I'd hazard a guess they will be asking multiples of that price. At this stage most VTEC Civics of that era and price would at best be plastered in cheap Halfrauds tat or driven into a pulp at worst.

Also, an aftermarket air filter like that would have a negligible effect on the longevity of the engine...

CianRyan wrote: »
    The majority of Hondas, especially the B Series engines, do tend to make noticeably more power with a cold air intake or even just more open filter like that.
    Cian, you are right about the lower air intake resistance. But the original setup sucks cold air from outside, while in that red Honda the air intake is in the hot engine bay. I personally see no benefits there. And the aesthetics are not pleasing to the eye either.
    True but what 1998 car is 100% original at this stage? Please feel free to find me another 1998 car, most specifically a VTEC Civic that is as clean and original as that one asking bangernomics money. They may be out there but I'd hazard a guess they will be asking multiples of that price. At this stage most VTEC Civics of that era and price would at best be plastered in cheap Halfrauds tat or driven into a pulp at worst.
    I don't need to look too far. My own 1997 Honda VTI is fully original, still has the original air filter which works perfectly, and the original radio with a tape deck and CD changer.
    Not yet for sale, but no, I will not be looking for multiple figure of the red one. An excellent car the way it came out from the factory. Just my own opinion. Sorry for OT :o.

Nice late mk2 punto (not a sporting though)
    Lose the towbar obviously.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto/8203076

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I don't need to look too far. My own 1997 Honda VTI is fully original, still has the original air filter which works perfectly, and the original radio with a tape deck and CD changer.
    Not yet for sale, but no, I will not be looking for multiple figure of the red one. An excellent car the way it came out from the factory. Just my own opinion. Sorry for OT :o.

How realistic is his claim of 47 mpg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Not necessarily, I have a bike rack that clamps onto a towbar so it could be useful for that.
    Maybe just the time of year but there does appear to be a LOT of condensation on the inside of that car. Winter damp is always a bit of a concern with older cars IMO.

Being jdm it could be some odd window tint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

I don't like those filters for various reasons on these, but what damage would they cause to the engine?

What kind of figures are we talking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

Who puts a tow bar on a Punto ? ,, What are they towing ... a pram ?

RayCon wrote: »
    Who puts a tow bar on a Punto ? ,, What are they towing ... a pram ?
    probably another fiat :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    probably another fiat :p

Boom Boom ... nice

Golf TDI
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/x-mass-bargain-golf-tdi-nct-tax/8204575
    Uk import, these can be a minefield but looks ok.

What kind of figures are we talking?

Hard to say exactly as I've never owned one, between 10-15hp.
    Mighty Car Mods recently did a comparison with their S2000 expecting little to not change and were surprised when they saw a creditable gain when dyno tested.
    One phone so I'm not linking but it's something along the line of "Cold air intake might busted, naturally aspirated" in YouTube. Popular video so it should be easy to find.

You'll find most modified Civics running around 180-190hp with a Venturi air intake and an open exhaust, a B16 can crack 200hp on similar mods and a good rebuild with someone that knows the b series.

I know this as a good friend of mine had one of the best B16's in the country, the engine he build is now being used for rally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Hard to say exactly as I've never owned one, between 1.0-1.5hp.
    Mighty Car Mods recently did a comparison with their S2000 expecting little to not change and were surprised when they saw a creditable gain when dyno tested.
    One phone so I'm not linking but it's something along the line of "Cold air intake might busted, naturally aspirated" in YouTube. Popular video so it should be easy to find.

You'll find most modified Civics running around 180-190hp with a Venturi air intake and an open exhaust, a B16 can crack 200hp on similar mods and a good rebuild with someone that knows the b series.

I know this as a good friend of mine had one of the best B16's in the country, the engine he build is now being used for rally.

FYP :pac:

rizzodun wrote: »
    How realistic is his claim of 47 mpg?
    Not too realistic, unless he has a solid backup for this figure.
    To put things into perspective, my 1.5 VTi has been averaging 48.5 mpg over the last 55k km, but that is a larger engine and does not have the lean-burn setup as the 1.5, i.e. it basically is not overly economical even if you take it handy. I guess it should do 40 mpg on average, if driven right and not in heavy traffic.

• Advertisement

with a Venturi air intake and an open exhaust, .

A what now? :confused: A venturi is by definition a restriction,

I don't like those filters for various reasons on these, but what damage would they cause to the engine?
    These filter imitations do not stop the fine particles from getting into the combustion chamber as well as a proper filter. The abrasive contaminants like fine dust cause premature wear to the engine.

A what now? :confused: A venturi is by definition a restriction,

This is what I've been told anyway and I'd trust the lad that told me.
    It's a type of intake that causes the air to spiral and compress as it enters the engine, hence, more power.
    Very basic description, probably wrong but there you go. :pac:

f3iizb34.qlv.jpg

And here's the S2000 video.

EDIT: And as you'll see, the standard air filter for the S2000 is a cone filter so the above makes little sense.

This is what I've been told anyway and I'd trust the lad that told me.

It dont work like that. Engines dont breathe continously. In a 4 pot, the intake valve of any cylinder will only be open for a max of 180 degrees for each 720 degree cycle. For those 180 degres, the air is moving quickly down the intake into that cylinder. then the valve closes. And the air hits it and stops. This causes the incoming moving air to back up, causing a back pressure ( as a wave moving away from the intake)f That would kill any attempt to get the air moving in one "spiral" mass.

It dont work like that. Engines dont breathe continously. In a 4 pot, the intake valve of any cylinder will only be open for a max of 180 degrees for each 720 degree cycle. For those 180 degres, the air is moving quickly down the intake into that cylinder. then the valve closes. And the air hits it and stops. This causes the incoming moving air to back up, causing a back pressure ( as a wave moving away from the intake)f That would kill any attempt to get the air moving in one "spiral" mass.

Fair enough, I'm no engineer so I wouldn't have a clue.

They work though, I've seen the improvements between the above and a standard/regular cold air intake.
    How they do it, shall for now at least, remain a mystery. :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement