Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB, EBS cut interest rates!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Woshy wrote: »
    Obviously I know what rate we're on now and what we signed up for! Ihave a loan agreement with it on it, even if I had suddenly become brain damaged and didn't remember.

What I wanted to know is if our rate will change with this recent announcement? As we already pay lower interest rates due to our LTV ratio I wasn't sure or sure where to easily access that information without asking the bank directly. Do you get updated info from the bank if your rate changes?

Existing rates here, use calculator I gave you and take off 0.25% which was cut. (effective from December I assume like rest of AIB Group)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

The main good thing I see about the announcement is it might prompt the other banks to lower rates...BUT, I don't get the excitement over AIB's rates as even with the new rate, they are still more expensive...

e.g. (Repayments on €250K Mortgage over 30 years @ LTV of 90%)
    AIB, 3 Yr fixed: 3.8% (4.61% APR) = €461,917.95
    Ulster Bank, 3 Yr fixed: 4.25% (4.5% APR) = €456,016.78

5 Year fixed is even worse! (€20K more expensive)

AIB, 5 Yr fixed: 3.9 % (4.88% APR) = €476,560.58
    Ulster Bank, 5 Yr fixed: 4.35% (4.5% APR) = €456,016.78

Their new variable rate is pretty much the same as the other banks (APR)

Unless I'm missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Idioteque wrote: »
    The main good thing I see about the announcement is it might prompt the other banks to lower rates...BUT, I don't get the excitement over AIB's rates as even with the new rate, they are still more expensive...

e.g. (Repayments on €250K Mortgage over 30 years @ LTV of 90%)
    AIB, 3 Yr fixed: 3.8% (4.61% APR) = €461,917.95
    Ulster Bank, 3 Yr fixed: 4.25% (4.5% APR) = €456,016.78

5 Year fixed is even worse! (€20K more expensive)

AIB, 5 Yr fixed: 3.9 % (4.88% APR) = €476,560.58
    Ulster Bank, 5 Yr fixed: 4.35% (4.5% APR) = €456,016.78

Their new variable rate is pretty much the same as the other banks (APR)

Unless I'm missing something?

Switching to 3 year fixed with aib sees our payments drop by 90 euro a month. Thinking of signing up tomorrow. Any downside?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Switching to 3 year fixed with aib sees our payments drop by 90 euro a month. Thinking of signing up tomorrow. Any downside?

I guess it's a downside if the SVR comes down further in the 3 years past the fixed rate , which it might. Not really a downside on your current position as you still save, but could be a future downside.

I'm in the same situation and thinking of fixing for 1 year instead and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Got a mortgage with AIB a few months ago, fixed for 5 years. Can I get out of this, and if so would it be worth my while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Senna wrote: »
    I'm very tempted by the 5 year fixed at 3.9%, the certainty would be nice and under 4% is certainly a level I can live with for the foreseeable future.
    Anyone think there is huge rate cuts coming in the future? ECB is at rock bottom, is there anything on the horizon that could drop the cost of lending a large amount?

Getting loss-making trackers off their books would help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Ranleth wrote: »
    The best variable rate available is with KBC, if you have a current account with them they give a 0.2% discount.

Rate APR
    LTV Variable <60% 3.65% 3.71%
    LTV Variable >60% and up to 80% 3.79% 3.86%
    LTV Variable >80% and up to 90% 4.27% 4.35%

I'm in the process of moving from an AIB variable but their new fixed rates look very tempting (too tempting).

And their charges on that current account?
    Fees & Charges Clear and Simple

Quarterly Fee €6.00*
    ATM Withdrawals €0.30 each*
    Cheque Lodgements €0.30 each*
    Time for some sums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

dar100 wrote: »
    Got a mortgage with AIB a few months ago, fixed for 5 years. Can I get out of this, and if so would it be worth my while?

If you have drawn down and have made a payment then no you won't be able to get the new rate. You should contact the bank and ask to do this but you may be subject too a pay a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

If you have drawn down and have made a payment then no you won't be able to get the new rate. You should contact the bank and ask to do this but you may be subject too a pay a penalty.

I've drawn down but haven't made first payment as of yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Doesn't matter. You made the bet when you signed the papers. Would you be happy if the bank wanted to increase your Fixed rate if interest rates went up to 6% tomorrow? It's effectively the same thing you're asking them to do. Fixed is fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

ffactj wrote: »
    Irish banks are about to get chewed out for taking the piss on interest rates.
    This is a pre-emptive move so they can save a little face.
    Others to follow.

Story about it on askaboutmoney.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

fxotoole wrote: »
    Link?

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=188652

Brendan Burgess has been bringing it up a fair bit in the media recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Contact the bank straight away there may be a cooling off period

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Others to follow.

Can you link to the story? I'd like to have a read of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Others to follow.

and rightly so. Those rates are beyond a joke. You can get fixed for 20 years here for <3%, and if you build an energy efficient house you can get 100k of that fixed at around 1.5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

jester77 wrote: »
    and rightly so. Those rates are beyond a joke. You can get fixed for 20 years here for <3%, and if you build an energy efficient house you can get 100k of that fixed at around 1.5%.

It doesn't look like EBS have cut their variable rate judging by their website. It is still at 4.58%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

It doesn't look like EBS have cut their variable rate judging by their website. It is still at 4.58%?
    Well,they have to as it was announced that it will drop to 4.33%. They'll prob update it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

toby2111 wrote: »
    Well,they have to as it was announced that it will drop to 4.33%. They'll prob update it soon.

Dates change in December - same as the date listed on AIB website (can't remember off hand but think its 1/12 or 4/12)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

toby2111 wrote: »
    thanks Toby. It's just that EBS updated the website, changed all the fixed rates but kept the variable at 4.58

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nightpark

Any sign of BOI following suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

...and KBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

...and KBC?

Fingers crossed they're coming up with a plan to outdo AIB.

Tracker mortgages for all? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

Anyone considering the new fixed rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Ranleth wrote: »
    Anyone considering the new fixed rates?

I went three years fixed at 3.8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

nightpark wrote: »
    Any sign of BOI following suit?

I think BOI said yesterday that they would not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Was thinking of going from variable with ebs to their fixed rate. Does anyone here know if those rates would be likely to fall further in the coming months or am I better off grasping the nettle now? Also would I be allowed to keep paying my current amount into the new term in an effort to reduce the overall term left or would I be penalised interest for doing this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Was thinking of going from variable with ebs to their fixed rate. Does anyone here know if those rates would be likely to fall further in the coming months or am I better off grasping the nettle now? Also would I be allowed to keep paying my current amount into the new term in an effort to reduce the overall term left or would I be penalised interest for doing this? Thanks

Its hard to know if rates will fall much further if at all, the interesting/worrying thing is that boi have not followed suit in dropping theirs. As far as overpaying goes its generally a good idea to do it as long as you can afford to do so. It'l lessen the length of your loan aswel as the interest you pay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Its hard to know if rates will fall much further if at all, the interesting/worrying thing is that boi have not followed suit in dropping theirs. As far as overpaying goes its generally a good idea to do it as long as you can afford to do so. It'l lessen the length of your loan aswel as the interest you pay

Thanks for your reply. Would I be penalised for paying over the rate each month?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Thanks for your reply. Would I be penalised for paying over the rate each month?

I think some banks do. So perhaps save the difference and pay it down at the end of the fixed term?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

Are you on a variable rate? Then no.

Are you on a fixed rate? Then yes.

Advertisement