Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I increase the rent? What would you do in this case?

Options
  • 22-11-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I have an apartment in Swords rented to the same girl for the last 3.5 years or so for €700 a month since day 1.

She lived with her boyfriend until about 1.5 years ago. He left and since about a month after that her current boyfriend lives there.

I suspect the old BF was the type who would fix minor issues and sort things out himself.

Since he moved out I am getting complaints about stuff needing fixing etc at least once a month.

Things like
    The shower head is full of limescale.
    The microwave isnt heating up food properly.
    Need a new mat in the hall. (I never even supplied one in the first place)
    The front door is squeaking.
    Small ring at the back of the hob is no longer coming on.
    Need a new stopper for the kitchen sink.
    Windows are dirty.
    Hoover is not working.

And threatening to go to the PRTB if I dont sort them all out with two weeks etc. (which i have)

Now all of these things happen in my own house too, but I dont need to go looking for someone else to come and sort them out for me. I could if i wanted, but i dont bother. I fix them myself.

Limescale in showerhead - I put it in a basin of hot water and calgon for a few hours and wash it out. Fixed.
    Microwave - i have exactly the same one so i swapped them. I cleaned the one from the apartment and it works perfectly in my house.
    Mat - I just go to the local hardware shot and buy one for a tenner.
    Doors sqeak - Oil them
    Ring on cooker not working. Ive had hobs with only 3 rings working for years in the past. Use the other 3.
    Stopper - €1 in the hardware shop.
    Windows - Clean them. Ground floor
    Hoover not working - Of course no the tube was full of paper and hair. A coat hanger to push them out did the trick.

So I was happy to leave the rent at €700pm while i never heard from them and they werent like my teenage daughter always looking for daddy to do everything for her.
    Im now at the point where i am looking at options to make them feel the [pain of their constant nagging for this.

I have a mate who is a professional landlord but i feel his advice is more hard line than i need, so looking for some options here.

I can easily get €950 a month or €1000 - 1050 is more likely for it if i wanted to go through the hassle of letting them move out and then painting it and re-letting it.
    Apartment is far bigger than 95% of other apartments in and around the place.

So some options might be

Leave the rent as is but tell them the rent is going up if they come to me with trivial stuff again. Its their choice. Not inclined to do this at this stage.

Put the rent up to €1050 and listen to their complaints and threats to go to the PRTB etc which they wont win. And hope they move out. If they dont move out sure im getting €4200 a year extra so that should ease the pain of the hassle of the trivial stuff. Should I tell them why i put the rent up so they change their opinion of what needs my time in future.

Any other options?

Basically i dont feel the need to increase rent if i never hear from a tenant, but when they cause me stress and time etc then I want to be compensated for it. If I never heard from a tenant at all i would never increase the rent tbh.
    If I could get another tenant who would never call me I would be ecstatic. They could stay for 5 years and i wouldnt bother increasing the rent. Its only when i am required to spend time and effort on the apartment that I feel its time for a rent increase (if at the time that option is available to me.). If they dont require my time and effort i dont require anymore money for it.

These two have brought me to that stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Definitely put it up, that sounds absolutely headwrecking and way beyond the acceptable norm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

All are pretty ridiculous apart from the ring on the cooker not working.

I'd ring my landlord for sure about that. I wouldn't be expecting a new cooker but I'd report it as it's an issue and that there are no surprises when I move out and start looking for my full deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭kandoola

I dont know how any landlord could blame you for breaking a ring on a cooker though.
    But does it really need to be repaired. Two rings would be different.

I dont know how any landlord could blame you for breaking a ring on a cooker though.

The evil side of me was tempted to replace the hob with a new hob and hand them 28 days notice of a €4200 rent increase at the same time and say it was because I had to replace the hob, i might as well increase the rent. But I snapped it of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There are good landlords out there and then there are some I've dealt with who would dock your deposit for anything :rolleyes:

Nah, doesn't need a repair if there are 3 left. No more expense for you OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Yeah up it to €1k per month and she will be gone fairly quick especially if she is as quick at finding another apartment as she is at a live in boyfriend!
    1 1/2 months from breakup to new fella moving in is some going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

kandoola wrote: »

I would agree with you and I suspect most tenants would agree. However, legal minimum standards require a 4 ring job so you'll have to get it sorted at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'd be re writing your contract when you up the rent and let it again too. Since when are dirty windows and shower head the responsibility of the landlord? Those are tenant issues, standard upkeep of the property and it's furnishings. Even the other stuff is a joke bar the hob. I'd tell them if a repair man comes out and the issue is found to be down to them not cleaning stuff or their negligence like the microwave issue was they'll be getting charged for his time.

superg wrote: »
    I'd be re writing your contract when you up the rent and let it again too. Since when are dirty windows and shower head the responsibility of the landlord? Those are tenant issues, standard upkeep of the property and it's furnishings. Even the other stuff is a joke bar the hob. I'd tell them if a repair man comes out and the issue is found to be down to them not cleaning stuff or their negligence like the microwave issue was they'll be getting charged for his time.

I wouldnt have thought things like that even need to be in a contract.

I forgot to mention that with the microwave they gave me two weeks to get them a new one or they were going to buy one themselves and deuct from the rent. They even gave me the argos calalogue with one circled that cost €180.
    Must have got some shock when they ended up with the same make and model as they had already but second hand :)

I think the new boyfriend is used to getting every little thing done for him and has not get up and go that you would think most people get after moving away from home. Its since he started taking over the dealings with me that things have become a pain.

I think i'll just get it painted and a new hob and then up the rent to the highest amount possible. I might just get an agent to manage it for me then. They can move out or or dispute it with the PRTB if they want. Only thing now is whether I decide to increase the rent to the max every year. I think normally i wouldnt increase the rent with a itting tenant who was hassle free, but with these two i'll make it a rule.

I was looking at a few agents and even though they all quoted 10 - 12 % of the rent for letting and managing, I got most of them down to 8%. Now to find out which ones are good. I dont see the point of an agent for letting only, but now i do see the point in letting an agent manage the apartment. At least then i'll only be needed if anything major needs approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

The hob is the only thing that's your responsibility. Let them go to the PRTB about the other stuff and see how far they get.

If €1,050 is market rent, then go for it. Paint the place, relet it and don't look back. Life's too short for this kind of carry on.

BTW is the new guy on the lease? If not, why are you even engaging with him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Would you not talk to her? It sounds as if she (or her boyfriend) thinks you're the mammy, not the landlord!

Aren't interior problems to be fixed by the tenant, exterior by the landlord?

And she should pay you, surely, for replacement of the microwave and mending the hob, which seem to have broken while she's the tenant? (Assuming they were of good quality in the first place.)

As for the dirty windows… the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OP you're nurturing the beast by giving in to some of those ridiculous demands. You shouldn't be at a loss for windows and shower heads, you should be docking their deposit as they're not keeping up their end of the bargain in keeping the house clean. Will they be looking for light bulbs next? You need to say "no".

Kick that rent up to the maximum!

Would you not talk to her? It sounds as if she (or her boyfriend) thinks you're the mammy, not the landlord!

Aren't interior problems to be fixed by the tenant, exterior by the landlord?

And she should pay you, surely, for replacement of the microwave and mending the hob, which seem to have broken while she's the tenant? (Assuming they were of good quality in the first place.)

As for the dirty windows… the mind boggles.

I thought i was pretty easy going, but i expect an easy life in return.

She rented on her own first and I didnt mind her having her boyfriend move in, or the new one either. I didnt want to be the mammy there either.

But since I now have a new job as a mammy im going to make them pay me for the privilege.

I think i wont bother painting. I'll just get a new hob in and up the rent to €1050.

I fear I know exactly whats going to happen then. They'll threaten the PRTB and will follow through. I'll end up taking a day off work with the PRTB and they will move out without paying the arrears when the PRTB find against them.

When they move out i'll redecorate.

Everything is so weighed against the landlord its unreal.
    Then the whole water charge debacle to come too.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ranjo

Is she on a fixed term contract? You can't change the rent during the contract.

She has some pretty decent rights OP so before you go gung-ho on upping the rent make sure you know what you're in for.

If she is approachable then have a chat and say you kept the rent low as she was previously a good tenant. That has changed and you have to consider setting the rent at market value when her contract is up.

She must simply not be aware of what is her accountability and what is yours. Level set with her and you'll avoid it going down the legal/PRTB route which you don't want if she's still occupying your place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Deub

These tenants make me angry. They abuse your kindness but who will pay the most at the end? The next tenants that may be good tenants. You really should charge them if you fix something that is their responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

If I could get another tenant who would never call me I would be ecstatic. They could stay for 5 years and i wouldnt bother increasing the rent. Its only when i am required to spend time and effort on the apartment that I feel its time for a rent increase (if at the time that option is available to me.). If they dont require my time and effort i dont require anymore money for it.

These two have brought me to that stage.

Same girl renting your place for that long - minimum hassle? Count yourself very lucky and stop looking for an excuse to exploit the situation.
    Sooner we bring in rent control into this country, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

kandoola wrote:
    I wouldnt have thought things like that even need to be in a contract.

Your contract should be very specific as to who is responsible for what. Some people will happily take the piss if they are let as you are finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op its fair enough you are easy going and want an easy life but they are taking the complete pi$$, a new mat for the hall way? They should buy this themselves and take it with them when they leave.
    Also since the lease is with her only surely the terms of conditions of the lease have changed now since there are now two people living in the apartment?
    You should increase the rent to over a grand or more and probably should have done so when her first boyfriend moved in as well. As there are two people in the apartment isn't there likely to be more wear and tear?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

1 1/2 months from breakup to new fella moving in is some going.

No one would turn an eye to a lad moving one gf out and the next in in that timeframe. Can't see why it's any different for a woman.

Windows are dirty.

This alone would cause me to up the rent to market rates, and inform her that you are now doing three-monthly inspections.

The other thing you mentioned are stupidity at work, this one is pure laziness, and indicates that she is probably not keeping the rest of the place clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Ranjo wrote: »
    Is she on a fixed term contract? You can't change the rent during the contract.

She has some pretty decent rights OP so before you go gung-ho on upping the rent make sure you know what you're in for.

If she is approachable then have a chat and say you kept the rent low as she was previously a good tenant. That has changed and you have to consider setting the rent at market value when her contract is up.

She must simply not be aware of what is her accountability and what is yours. Level set with her and you'll avoid it going down the legal/PRTB route which you don't want if she's still occupying your place.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but if she's on a fixed term contract, she can't bring new people into her residence without notifying/approval from the landlord. That would give the landlord the right to either say, 'No, he can't move in' or to renegotiate the terms.

At least, that's what I've always been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

LorMal wrote: »
    Same girl renting your place for that long - minimum hassle? Count yourself very lucky and stop looking for an excuse to exploit the situation.

If anyone is being exploited at the minute its the landlord. If appliances that come with the apartment break down like the cooker, microwave, washing machine, boiler, fridge etc then the tenant should contact the landlord and request them to be replaced. However limescale on the shower head, putting a mat in the hallway and oiling door hinges are really not the responsibility of the landlord. If a tenant doesn't know how to treat limescale or put a some oil on a creaky door then maybe they should move back home to live with their parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

No one would turn an eye to a lad moving one gf out and the next in in that timeframe. Can't see why it's any different for a woman.

Of course someone "turn an eye" to a lad doing it the exact same way if it was a woman.
    It's the six weeks that is an unusual timeframe to know someone well enough to move in with them.
    I think there is enough threads in AH about sexism and misogyny without looking for it on every forum.

LorMal wrote: »

The whole point of the OP is that she is causing a lot of hassle. Or are you just being wilfully blind?

What does rent control have to do with this? The OP is entitled to receive market rent. Out of a sense of goodwill to his tenant he has been charging below market rent. The tenant is now exploiting him. Who is being wronged in this scenario?

No one would turn an eye to a lad moving one gf out and the next in in that timeframe. Can't see why it's any different for a

Can we not make this into a sexism thread please?

As a landlord, I would not want any tenant - male or female - moving new people in on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Sounds like the new boyfriend is the problem, who may be living rent free (no increase since he moved in).

They seem like fools risking a good thing.

Even at 1,000 that's only €500 each per month (if boyfriend stays).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Up the rent, tell them to ckean the windows themselves,

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

If they were no hassle, then leave the rent, sound like fools, put it up I think !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm going to go against the grain here (slightly) in saying that if it were me, I probably wouldn't up the rent to the max that you think you can get (€1050) considering the rent is currently €700. Bear with me here before you think this is some sort of tenants vs. evil landlords rant.

On paper that increase is roughly 50% increase in rent, which if put before the PRTB would definitely raise a few eyebrows and make life awkward. Unless you can line up several watertight ducks in a row to shoot that line of enquiry down I'd be more inclined to up the rent, but fly under the radar with it and with a view to upping the rent the following year if they're still there and still causing you grief. Yes it's a bit more of a long-term view, but one that is less likely to cause grief with the PRTB.

Edit: as someone else has already suggested, if the current boyfriend is not on the lease, why are you entertaining him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Lemming wrote: »
    I'm going to go against the grain here (slightly) in saying that if it were me, I probably wouldn't up the rent to the max that you think you can get (€1050) considering the rent is currently €700. Bear with me here before you think this is some sort of tenants vs. evil landlords rant.

On paper that increase is roughly 50% increase in rent, which if put before the PRTB would definitely raise a few eyebrows and make life awkward. Unless you can line up several watertight ducks in a row to shoot that line of enquiry down I'd be more inclined to up the rent, but fly under the radar with it and with a view to upping the rent the following year if they're still there and still causing you grief. Yes it's a bit more of a long-term view, but one that is less likely to cause grief with the PRTB.

Edit: as someone else has already suggested, if the current boyfriend is not on the lease, why are you entertaining him?

If it's a 50% increase or 100% it doesn't matter, once it's in line with what the op would get from another tenant, I.e the market rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

If it's a 50% increase or 100% it doesn't matter, once it's in line with what the op would get from another tenant, I.e the market rate

I seem to recall something about limits on the amount that a LL can expect to raise rent by in any given twelve-month period to a sitting tenant (as opposed to leasing to a new tenant)? I freely admit to being open to correction on that as it may well have been something I picked up wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement