Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solidworks training courses

Options
  • 23-08-2010 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,

Its my first post here:)

I am looking to expand my skill set and want to learn Solidworks

Are there any training courses in the Wexford, Carlow , Waterford areas that teach solidworks

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭wicklow_hunter

They are running a solidworks course in Gorey Community school in Wexford

http://www.goreyadulted.ie/index.php/TimeTables/Tuesday-Courses-Timetable.html

The course is on Tuesday nights...

hope this helps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 julianengineer

Thanks for that wicklow hunter,

The open night is next week, might just pop down and check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liammaccraith

Julian, check out solidworkstutor.com for excellent tutorials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Anyone aware of any similar offerings for solid works courses in Dublin area, I was thinking of trying AutoCAD and solidworks courses, I did some very basic AutoCad before.
    A night class would probably be best although a day might be possible.
    I'm considering returning to college and want to have some skill at something like this to draw up ideas, test them? and edit and have them backed up and transportable in a file format.

I'll try the online tutor mentioned above too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Liam MacCraith

SolidWorks will become the industry standard in 3D solid modelling. It is important to learn the fundamentals of this software in a structured fashion such as getting tutorials. Trying to learn it intuitively in the initial stages especially will frustrate you and cause you to develop bad habits. Start as you mean to go on. Try the site mentioned above. They are written for students and appear to assume no previous knowledge for the initial modules.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I am looking for step by step tutorials, I feel I got thrown into the deep end with other stuff and expected to figure it out without the foundation it it, so it ended up being of no use (ie matlab).

What about 2D CAD anything there that could be recommended or freeware to practice on?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Do you have your own copy of Solidworks?

If so there's plenty of online video tutorials (SolidProfessor and CADJunkie is meant to be good, there's plenty others out there too).

Draftsight is a similar program to AutoCAD and it's free so you can try that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

SolidWorks will become the industry standard in 3D solid modelling. It is important to learn the fundamentals of this software in a structured fashion such as getting tutorials. Trying to learn it intuitively in the initial stages especially will frustrate you and cause you to develop bad habits. Start as you mean to go on. Try the site mentioned above. They are written for students and appear to assume no previous knowledge for the initial modules.

Solidworks would already be industry standard I feel especially engineering wise. As a designer I feel I get more out of Rhino as I'm able to pull from control points at will where as solidworks is rather restrictive when using complex solids.

If a product ever emerges where solidworks can introduce the real use of control points etc and could allow more manual manipulations of surfaces there probably wouldn't be any use for any other software.

A man can dream.

As for starting as you mean to go on,100% agree. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing that little "rebuild errors" bubble pop up due to making a little error. If you didn't know what that error meant you'd be pulling your hair out.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Do you have your own copy of Solidworks?

If so there's plenty of online video tutorials (SolidProfessor and CADJunkie is meant to be good, there's plenty others out there too).

Draftsight is a similar program to AutoCAD and it's free so you can try that.

me? no, can they be acquired?
    Im looking for a program to do 2 and 3 dimensional drawings, I have seen solidworks but didnt use it, I was under the impression solid works could be used to determine if a component drawn and somehow set in a specific material type would stand up to expected forces applied to it, Im not sure Id need that level anyway, but if it can be in there and can be learned and used.
    Im also wondering if I can use it to represent components operating , ie how they would in use, rotating, reciprocating etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

A licence costs about 8 or 9K so they're not cheap if you're just looking to mess around. Alot of the online tutorials you'll need your own licence for too.

You're also talking about Finite Element Analysis (FEA) there and yes the program can do that.

Draftsight is a free 2D program.

If you're looking for a free 3D program you could download PTC Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 6.0
    http://www.ptc.com/product/creo/elements/direct-modeling/express

• Advertisement
Advertisement