Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain alerts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ £10 on halfords.com

1 million candlepower (candelas) equates to

100 lux at 100 metres,
    200 lux at 70 metres,
    400 lux at 50 metres,
    1000 lux at c. 32 metres,
    2000 lux at c. 23 metres,
    5000 lux at c. 14 metres,
    10000 lux at 10 metres...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

This is a weird one, the price of silver is dropping, lowest since 2010, honestly might be worth getting some for a rainy day. Just make sure you don't loose it in a terrible boating accident

Lamp is 3W LED, still grand but not as bright as I expected. Comes with fitted alkaline AA batteries.

Leaflet says not to fit both D and AA batteries at the same time (poster on the main BA thread said he bought last year and returned it because it did not seem to work on D batteries - this may have been the issue though).

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Don't forget to check out the Christmas food specials which are appearing on the shelves in the supermarkets, there is a lot of high energy stuff with long BBD's.

Stuff to look out for in Lidl where I shop are things like rich fruit cakes and Christmas puddings. Christmas puds have a April 2016 BBD and will keep much longer. One of my favourites is the single serving mini Christmas Pudding at €1.29. In an emergency cooking them is a bit more difficult than just heating as ideally they need steaming but that just means leaving them in a pan of near boiling water for 30 mins. Marzipan in various forms of sweets also turns up in lidl at this time of year.

Then remember to keep an eye out after Christmas when the same stuff often gets reduced.

OK so I've stocked up on mini Christmas puddings so I can now feast for a few weeks on the ones I bought last year :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Esel wrote: »
    Lamp is 3W LED, still grand but not as bright as I expected. Comes with fitted alkaline AA batteries.

Leaflet says not to fit both D and AA batteries at the same time (poster on the main BA thread said he bought last year and returned it because it did not seem to work on D batteries - this may have been the issue though).

Have you used the lamp much? How you finding it?

aaakev wrote: »
    Have you used the lamp much? How you finding it?
    Not yet. On-off switch seems to be a bit dodgy.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Not sure if this should go in the Zombie survival forum or here, you guys decide.

You too can own one of these beauties, useful in many scenarios, for the princely sum of 4.99!!!! :eek:

324643.jpg

Cash and carry stores (sadly only in Offaly and Gorey I believe) although maybe sold elsewhere.

And of course, remember these aren't machete's, they're gardening tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Machetes are illegal, unfortunately.

Gardening tools, you say?

How long is the blade on that anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Stanley 12 in 1 MultiTool in B&Q 8euro in sale - they had a good dozen or so left up the far end near the cement and stuff (Edit forgot to say Waterford Store) but no prices on them check at the counter the price hasn't changed.

Small Leatherman type pliers with some other tools in the handles, not brilliant compared any Leatherman but worth the 8euro.

Yellow anodised alloy folding handles, in presentation bumox.

btw notices the hobnobs are still in Lidl and 300g packs are actually 99p.

not worth the eight quid, these would hardly cut twine, they had some in lidls three weeks ago for about 12 pound what's much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

wexie wrote: »
    Not sure if this should go in the Zombie survival forum or here, you guys decide.

You too can own one of these beauties, useful in many scenarios, for the princely sum of 4.99!!!! :eek:

324643.jpg

Cash and carry stores (sadly only in Offaly and Gorey I believe) although maybe sold elsewhere.

And of course, remember these aren't machete's, they're gardening tools.

Where in offaly is that okace

Machetes are illegal, unfortunately.

Gardening tools, you say?

How long is the blade on that anyway?

Geez I'd have to go measure it but it's well over a foot long, probably closer to foot and a half, they're marked slashing knives I think, for brambles of course :rolleyes:

Might have been hacking knife as well.....Can't quite remember, somehow in my head it translated as zombie emergency tool

Where in offaly is that okace

They're in riverside retail park in tullamore :

http://www.cashncarrydirect.ie/about_us.php?PHPSESSID=4df66c502cd2bb2172bd0e2c1e546ccb#

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Geez I'd have to go measure it but it's well over a foot long, probably closer to foot and a half, they're marked slashing knives I think, for brambles of course :rolleyes:

Might have been hacking knife as well.....Can't quite remember, somehow in my head it translated as zombie emergency tool

C'mere, I wasn't being sarcastic: I wouldn't mind having one. I'll leave that aspiration right there though, as we are all being civilised on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

No sign of them in that link.

I'll leave that aspiration right there though, as we are all being civilised on the internet.

Sure I'll pick you one up next time I'm there and drop it in the post, be interesting to see what happens :D

(also be interesting to see what would happen if I went in there to buy a whole load of them to send out to Boardsies)

hexosan wrote: »
    No sign of them in that link.

Probably isn't just put that there to show the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

15% off total from survivalmetrics.com with code Survival

10% off from goinggear.com with code PM101

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

have one of them meself.got it in the same shop.if i remember correctly its advertised as a gardening tools.
    always in the fishing bag for new spots i find

Dunnes stores have Erin/Campbells condensed soups for a Euro a can (or 2 for 2euro depending which ones) ending 11/11/2014. Check BBD as most should be good for 2 years but often the stock rotation is poor on canned stuff. Normally they are €1.65 a tin

Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Chicken, Tomato, Mild Curry (new one on me) Beef and veg etc all are good as soups and good bases for cooking like Cream of Chicken and a can of chicken chunks and your 99% of the way to a decent chicken supreme.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

As much as I love a bargain, the Lidl ones are cheap, but pretty muck. Must "splash out" and get some Dunnes sourced soup.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    As much as I love a bargain, the Lidl ones are cheap, but pretty muck. Must "splash out" and get some Dunnes sourced soup.

I only bought 4 of the Campbells soups this time around (they have the offer at least once a year) as I already have a good few in stock :)

I got the Mild Curry to try tomorrow and will get a few more if its any good. Its another one that could be a good base for a main meal.

Another advantage of the condensed soup range is they only take up half the space only need heating and taste 100% better than packet soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

http://www.banggood.com/Nitecore-T-Series-Tube-45LM-USB-Rechargeable-LED-Light-Keychain-p-952684.html

Great EDC led flashlight.
    1 lumen for 45 hours or 45 lumens for 1 hour.
    Can vary output between 1 and 45 lumens.
    Starts on low
    Recharge via micro USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Aldi stocking (for limited time) vegetable seeds.
    Packs cost €0.79 each.
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/gardening-plants/seeds-and-bulbs/
    Choice of:
    Beetroot Boltardy. 250 per pack
    Broccoli Purple. 350 per pack
    Cabbage Golden Acre. 250 per pack
    Carrot Early Nantes. 1100 per pack
    Chilli Pepper de Cayenne. 65 per pack
    Cucumber Marketmore. 25 per pack
    Herb Coriander. 150 per pack
    Herb Parsley Envy. 500 per pack
    Herb Sweet Basil. 600 per pack
    Herb Wild Rocket. 670 per pack
    Leek Musselburgh. 350 per pack
    Lettuce Little Gem Cos. 900 per pack
    Nasturtium Tutti Frutti. 25 per pack
    Pea Hurst Greenshaft. 90 per pack
    Perpetual Spinach Leaf Beet. 250 per pack
    Poppy* Iceland Special Mix. 1900 per pack
    Radish French Breakfast 3. 450 per pack
    Runner Bean Scarlet Emperor. 20 per pack
    Speedy Lettuce Leaf Salad. 1500 per pack
    Spring Onion White Lisbon. 550 per pack
    Sunflower* Giant Yellow. 50 per pack
    Sweetcorn Gold Bantum. 35 per pack
    Sweet Pepper (Capsicum) California Wonder. 45 per pack
    Tomato Gardener's Delight. 75 per pack

For anyone that doesn't know any better give the Tomato Money Maker a miss I've heard its taste described as being like that of a soggy tennis ball. Having grown it a couple of times I just say its tasteless. There are 100's of other varieties that taste really good so no need to grow what is now an old variety breed just for its looks.

Nasturtium should be on the list because the flowers, seeds and young leaves are edible but for the life of me I don't know what the Poppy is doing in the list? Its not even a variety I would associate with the poppy seeds used in bread making.

my3cents wrote: »
    but for the life of me I don't know what the Poppy is doing in the list? Its not even a variety I would associate with the poppy seeds used in bread making.

opium? to provide some entertainment and pain relief at the end of the world?

:D

opium? to provide some entertainment and pain relief at the end of the world?

:D

But it isn't an opium poppy :( which has lots of other uses not just putting on bread.

This one is called Icelandic Special Mix which is likely to be a mix of Icelandic Poppy varieties not know for there opium producing qualities.

my3cents wrote: »
    But it isn't an opium poppy :( which has lots of other uses not just putting on bread.

really? :( wtf am I going to do with 90 packets of poppy seed now?

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

really? :( wtf am I going to do with 90 packets of poppy seed now?

:mad:

You can plant the poppies & use them as a decoy for snails & slugs as the flowers are sweeter than most veg (to pests). That's the only positive I've found regarding them bar them looking cheerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

Black Friday on Amazon today, not much there for this forum though, but they do have decent prices on fire starters for the next while, if anyone has an order to bulk up

Advertisement