Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vinyl collecting

• 28-08-2014 9:40pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey dudes.

It's nice to see that vinyl is enjoying a growth in popularity again. Even in galway there's a number of stores with reasonable collections. Any other people out there looking to add to the collection?

Where do you buy? What do you consider essential vinyl?

My current favourite is Neil young live at the celllardoor. And rumours. The perfect chill album.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 fayvirtue

I'm sort of old school and lately I've got some great condition - Beatles, Stones, Bob Marley, Pink Floyd and Led Zep. You can't beat that full sound only records can give !

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Finally somebody to talk to and they banned him.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Don't worry Dr. I talk all day about Vinyl if you want, especially Pink Floyd vinyl.. where do you want to start..

PinkFloydVinyl.jpg

Where do you usually buy from?

I am getting a lot of re-releases on amazon lately but aside from that getting any original editions just seems way too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭glorified g

I live in Dublin so I'm a little spoiled for choice. The RAGE on Fade Street is by far my favourite place. The guys in there are legends and more than once have sourced a record for me. They also do postage around Ireland if they have a record you want.

Other than bricks and mortar shops I use Discogs. Depending on where you buy from the postage can be a bit pricey but I've never had a problem with quality.

Hopefully will be in the market for a better player and speakers coning up to Christmas if anyone could recommend anything reasonably priced.

• Advertisement

Some of the stuff I have I bought when it was originally released, the rest I bought or traded over the years, depending on how much money I had at the time.
    E bay was a great source at one time when very few people were interested in buying vinyl as were a few places around Dublin. I would always have a quick rummage through the charity shops as well, picked up a few inexpensive gems there as well.
    Re-releases can be fine. If I am going to pick up a re-release I would generally favour Rhino as a manufacturer as they use the original master tapes whenever possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I live in Dublin so I'm a little spoiled for choice. The RAGE on Fade Street is by far my favourite place.

Love that place. Great finds sometimes.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Your not alone Dr collector here myself. Maybe if we gather enough members of the community we can have a vinyl sub forum :)

I still have to use mostly amazon for whatever re-issues I can buy.
    Currently hunting meddle and lateralus however both are shocking expensive.

Just picked up ACDC live at river plate, glorious concert to listen to on vinyl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

I collect U2 vinyl, and besides from the usual suspects like Ebay, Gumtree etc, I have found some great vinyl in 2nd hand stores (not just U2). In a shop in Capel St I found the banned "Give Ireland Back To The Irish" by Paul McCartney for the princely sum of .50 cents, along with Beatles singles (including sleeves) for similar prices.

I still have to use mostly amazon for whatever re-issues I can buy.

Quick look on adverts and I found this. For 25 euro posted I would nearly buy it as a spare.
    http://touch.adverts.ie/vinyl/pink-floys-meddle/6233307

Well that's one off your list.. :)

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Well that's one off your list.. :)

I forgot to come back and say thanks! Thanks dude.

The list is always growing though!

I've been to a couple of the fairs. You know the ones. they travel around the country selling. Invariably I have found something but tbh I didn't think they were great value. Going to start paying closer attention to adverts and gumtree. The shipping on discogs always catches me out too.

I've been to a couple of the fairs. You know the ones. they travel around the country selling. Invariably I have found something but tbh I didn't think they were great value. Going to start paying closer attention to adverts and gumtree. The shipping on discogs always catches me out too.

Speaking of fairs there's one coming to Ennis on the 7th no real name to this fair just says record fair. picked up some nice deals of him.

Anyone ever use EIL.com for buying their stuff?

jonon9 wrote: »
    Anyone ever use EIL.com for buying their stuff?

Always found their vinyl way way over priced. Anything that they have you can usually find elsewhere cheaper if you look for it.

You can still pick up some very good deals on Ebay if you know what you are looking for (or looking at).
    The biggest problem with popular items, especially the rarer stuff, is fakes. There is so much of it out there its not funny.
    But its still worth watching to see whats trending, or what you might expect to pay for something when the time comes.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30216638
    More than one million vinyl records have been sold in the UK so far this year - the first time the milestone has been achieved since 1996.

The figures mark a largely unexpected resurgence in an industry now considered to be dominated by digital.

Earlier this month, Pink Floyd's The Endless River became the fastest-selling vinyl release since 1997.

An interesting article in the Guardian about current day vinyl production....

Vinyl’s difficult comeback.
    Can the creaking machinery of the few remaining record pressing plants cope with demand?

• Advertisement

We should group buy a vinyl press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

We should group buy a vinyl press.

I'm in!

-Funk

Like most people here I would always prefer to buy the vinyl version of an album, even to store as a potential collectable.
    But I was in HMV Dundrum the other day and I just couldn't justify the 89.95 price tag on Neil Young's latest double album offering Storytone.
    Has anyone seen it cheaper, or are shops loosing it and jumping (or should that be stomping) on the Vinyl Revival.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Can't help with that record, but I can say I've mixed feelings about HMV Dundrum, vinyl wise.

I love that they have records, but the mish mash way they have them presented makes me sad.

The pricing is odd - I asked a girl in there after Christmas why most of the vinyl was in unlabelled boxes (they are alphabetically labelled now). She said it was all stock from other stores that was sent there to sell of.

And keeping them literally on the floor in busy aisles makes it hard to browse. On top of this, the prices are just a couple of quid too high, to be fair.

However, they put some on the promotional ends in there - they had one with a lot of Kinks stuff on it last week - and even seeing that makes me immensely happy. Gonna pop up next week and try to get my hands on that new Physical Graffiti release.

Meanwhile they have a limited vinyl section in Urban Outfitters. Expensive, but some good stuff there. Made me smile to see quite a few copies of What's the story, morning glory? Even if that isn't really to my taste these days. Although it's been a while, might be worth giving it a whirl. They had Parklife too.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Golden Discs in the Blanchardstown Centre has a nice collection near the tills. I was delighted to find it because I didn't think anywhere in Blanch sold vinyl.

Nice little article on our favourite music format.

Can the vinyl revival break out from the niche market again?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

I'm a life long music fan & am old enough to have bought vinyl the first time round (I still have my original vinyl copy of nevermind I bought at 16) The elephant in the room with newer vinyl is how much of it is sourced from a digital master. I still buy both vinyl & CD, but the vinyl experience I find is overrated.

A website I stumbled across as I was looking for something else. .

http://best-turntables.com/

Some useful information with some reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I collect U2 vinyl, and besides from the usual suspects like Ebay, Gumtree etc, I have found some great vinyl in 2nd hand stores (not just U2). In a shop in Capel St I found the banned "Give Ireland Back To The Irish" by Paul McCartney for the princely sum of .50 cents, along with Beatles singles (including sleeves) for similar prices.

Yeah, all the Beatles singles were re-released 20 years after their original release in the '60s. I bought some as an '80s Beatle nut.

That could be why they would be so cheap.

Funny how my 10 year old daughter used vinyl recordings as a school project recently.

I gave her the first three 'NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC' albums on vinyl to bring in.

Her classmates were amazed that the still current 'NOW' brand was ever produced in such a format!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Dublin is best for new, as Tower have a decent offering, as does HMV. Freebird and Spindizzy have good 2nd hand stock.

Outside Dublin the only options for new are HMV.

Two good provincial 2nd hand options are a guy in Limerick's Milk Market on Sat mornings and a Trinity Rare Books in Carrick-on-Shannon. Steamboat Music in LImerick has some new discs. There is the Vinyl Cafe in Ennis but I haven't gone there yet. Please post if you know of others. There must be something down Cork way.

There are also the travelling fairs but those boys charge well for any decent platters.

I only go online (discogs best) when I really want something rare, as postage is a killer.

Roll on the lotto! I'll be Ireland's answer to Zero Freitas.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Freitas

Advertisement