Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know your elves - #12 Bobblehead Panda

Options
  • 14-11-2014 8:26am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Good morning and happy Friday to one and all!

The lights are being switched on and christmas has hijacked our TVs yes the season is well and truly upon us!

This week we are joined by the wonderful Bobblehead Panda keep your questions coming the threads have been great!!

I'll kick it off!

What's your favourite christmas movie and song?
    What brought you to this forum?
    When are you putting up your decorations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    Good morning and happy Friday to one and all!

The lights are being switched on and christmas has hijacked our TVs yes the season is well and truly upon us!

This week we are joined by the wonderful Bobblehead Panda keep your questions coming the threads have been great!!

I'll kick it off!
    Howdy!
    What's your favourite christmas movie and song?
    Elf and at the moment probably the Christmas Can Can or Funzo, This Christmas. Driving Home For Christmas is up there too.
    What brought you to this forum?
    I remember it being opened but I just looked at the forum suggestion in Forum Requests (a lot of people didn't think this forum would work! :eek:) and I didn't post my support there. I love Christmas so I had to post here.
    When are you putting up your decorations?

Usually around December the 8th but that's a Monday this year so it will have to be the Sunday. Can't wait.

Thanks for the questions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If you were to spend christmas in a totally different way and in another country, were would it be?

Whispered wrote: »
    If you were to spend christmas in a totally different way and in another country, were would it be?

I don't think I'd enjoy spending it in a different country, but if I had to I'd choose somewhere in America. I've probably romanticised in my mind because of all the Christmas films I've seen but I love America and its varied culture anyway so I think I'd enjoy that more than heading off somewhere warm. I'd have to waddle on to the plane though and possibly buy two seats after all the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think christmas in the U.S. somewhere would be fab too. Especially if it was snowing! And I'd love to try the different foods I've always heard mentioned but have no idea what they are (like yams!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hiya Bobblehead!

I've a few questions for you!

Is there anything you would change about Christmas if you could? If so what and Why?

Have you many visitors for Christmas do you have generally or are you the one that visits?

Close family only or any one and every one?

What's your general Christmas Eve/Day consist of typically.

Describe it in as much/little detail as you like.

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I think christmas in the U.S. somewhere would be fab too. Especially if it was snowing! And I'd love to try the different foods I've always heard mentioned but have no idea what they are (like yams!)
    Oh yeah, proper deep snow like you see on TV would make it amazing!
    Is there anything you would change about Christmas if you could? If so what and Why?
    Not a thing. I love Christmas just the way it is, even if it's not always perfect.
    Have you many visitors for Christmas do you have generally or are you the one that visits?

Close family only or any one and every one?
    We're the visitors! No one ever comes to our house. We live too far away apparently for anyone to ever visit. :D

On Christmas Day it's always just parents and siblings, no aunts or uncles or grandparents or anything like that.
    What's your general Christmas Eve/Day consist of typically.

Describe it in as much/little detail as you like.

Thanks! :)
    Depends on the year. We take it in turns to go to my parents or to my in laws every second year.

My in laws only live half an hour away so Christmas Eve is spent in my jammies at home waiting for my husband to finish work. He usually finishes early so we spend the afternoon at home together. Then we get a take away to avoid having to clean up too much. We get to wake up with just the two of us on Christmas morning and exchange presents and have some breakfast. Then we head to the in laws where it's usually very very loud because 3 of my husbands siblings and their partners and kids are usually there. Dinner at 4ish and it usually lasts a few hours with all the chat. That evening almost everyone will go elsewhere and because we stay the night we have a few drinks with my husband's parents and just relax.

If we're in my parents' house I meet my husband after work and we grab some lunch and hit the road. Then we just relax for a few days. Christmas Eve is very quiet, and so is Christmas Day. My sister comes over with my nephew to open presents. We have dinner early enough and then watch TV or play board games.

Either way it's all very quiet and civilised! Just the way I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hi Bobblehead Panda,
    Whats your oldest Christmas decoration?
    Which christmas song do you not like?
    Your typical Stephens day?
    What are you asking Santy for?

delw wrote: »
    Hi Bobblehead Panda,
    Whats your oldest Christmas decoration?
    Sadly, probably only around 4 or 5 years old! I don't have any that have been in the family for 30 years or anything like that. Our tree and decorations were bought a few years ago when I decided that the fibre-optic tree that my then boyfriend (now husband) had in his house was not going to cut it.
    Which christmas song do you not like?
    I never really liked Fairytale of New York until recently. Oh and it's not a song but that awful Frank Kelly Christmas Countdown thing. It's not funny. And the new version of Do They Know It's Christmas. All that talent and they really messed up the lyrics.

But the all time worst Christmas song ever is Christmas Shoes. What a horrible song.
    Your typical Stephens day?
    Lots of sitting around. I don't really do anything on Stephen's Day. I always look forward to dinner though. It's a smaller version of the previous day's dinner and I think it's better.
    What are you asking Santy for?
    Nothing! Maybe some pyjamas. I love pyjamas. I can't think of anything that I need. A bit of snow would be nice though, Santa, if you're listening.

Thanks for the questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Bobblehead panda great answers
    Christmas jumpers yes or no?
    Do you hang Christmas stockings?
    Clear or coloured fairy lights?
    Will you watch the late late toy show?

SarahLil wrote: »
    Bobblehead panda great answers
    Christmas jumpers yes or no?
    Absolutely yes! Christmas everything!
    Do you hang Christmas stockings?
    Yeah, I have lovely gingerbread man stocking hooks for them. They're really just for decoration these days because we don't buy a lot of presents for each other so we don't have enough to put in stockings. My parents still give me a stocking full of things though.
    Clear or coloured fairy lights?
    We have red berry lights. I was always a clear lights girl but I really love the coloured ones now.
    Will you watch the late late toy show?
    Definitely. Can't wait. My husband refuses to watch it (I just asked him if he's watching it this year with me and he said not unless he's forced at gunpoint :D) so I'll have the Boards thread as company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

hi there
    a few for you:

Christmas day: Snow, wind and ice or dry cold and sunny?!
    If someone said you could only do ONE christmas related activity anothing else christmassy this year what would it be?
    would you rather listen to endless christmas songs or watch endless xmas movies if you had to chose?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Hello :)

Favourite Christmas cocktail?

Favourite Christmas hot drink?

And what would be in your time-machine Selection Box?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Does your family have any unusual Christmas traditions?

Real tree or fake tree?

If you were facing either never listening to a Christmas song again, or never watching a Christmas movie again, which would you (probably reluctantly) choose?

snowgal wrote: »
    hi there
    a few for you:

Christmas day: Snow, wind and ice or dry cold and sunny?!
    Aw tough choice. :( I'd take cold and snow but no ice but out of those options I'd choose dry, cold and sunny. Maybe the snow and ice could start once everyone I know had travelled safely.
    If someone said you could only do ONE christmas related activity anothing else christmassy this year what would it be?
    Listen to Christmas music. I could do that endlessly. In fact I'm doing it right now.
    would you rather listen to endless christmas songs or watch endless xmas movies if you had to chose?
    Toughy but I think the songs win it. I love Christmas films but singing along to Christmas FM is one of my favourite things to do. It freaks my husband out that I know the lyrics to so many songs. :D
    washiskin wrote: »
    Hello :)

Favourite Christmas cocktail?
    I don't have one! I'm open to suggestions though because I love making cocktails. Although one of my favourite things on Christmas day is drinking mimosas and this year I'm going to to get a bottle of cranberry and clementine juice and use that instead of orange juice.
    Favourite Christmas hot drink?
    I love drinking hot chocolate while watching Christmas films. I have 53% chocolate that's perfect for it.
    And what would be in your time-machine Selection Box?
    I'm not really a selection box fan these days but I used to love them. Galaxy Hazelnut, the old one, not the crappy caramelised one they have now. Secret bar. (Anyone remember them?) Wispa Caramel. And a Curly Wurly becuase I don't like Curly Wurlys and it's always good to have something you don't like to give away. :D That was a hard one to answer! I'm not really a chocolate bar fan these days.
    Scarinae wrote: »
    Does your family have any unusual Christmas traditions?
    Not really. My parents Santa still hides the key to the sitting room and we have to find it before we go in. I suppose it's pretty unusual to still have Santa when all the kids are in their twenties but my mother insists. It's nice though.
    Real tree or fake tree?
    I like the smell of real trees but I hate the hassle so fake for me. My parents still get a real once so I get to experience the smell there without the hassle.
    If you were facing either never listening to a Christmas song again, or never watching a Christmas movie again, which would you (probably reluctantly) choose?
    :(

Probably the movies, although I'd miss Elf terribly.

Thanks everyone for the questions. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Not really. My parents Santa still hides the key to the sitting room and we have to find it before we go in. I suppose it's pretty unusual to still have Santa when all the kids are in their twenties but my mother insists. It's nice though.

Hiding the key is the best idea ever... I may swipe that idea if I ever grow up and start making my own Christmas traditions!

By the way, Santa still brings us presents and I am the youngest (I'm 28) :D

Advertisement