Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move from iOS

Options
  • 02-11-2014 7:30pm

I've had an iPhone 5S for the last year and am starting to get bored with iOS as a whole. Simple things annoy me like not being able to set custom alert tones for third party apps, and the iOS 8 and iTunes 12 shambles left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't want to go with Android for my own personal reasons so I'm looking at Windows Phone. I have a tablet with Windows 8.1 so I don't think the UI will be any issue for me. I'm looking at either the Lumia 830 or 930, though I'm edging towards the former on cost grounds and the reality that I don't actually need a top of the range phone.

However my biggest concern is app availability. Is it really as bad as the media makes it out to be? I can see some notable apps missing but there's also some third party replacements available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

It depends, what apps are you curious about?

Some notable omissions for me are Dublin Bus, the AIB Mobile app, Hailo and Snapchat, but I see that there are third party apps which might replace some of these.

I have several other apps which aren't available but when I look at it, I don't actually need them. They have mobile sites that would be just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Karsini wrote: »
    Some notable omissions for me are Dublin Bus, the AIB Mobile app, Hailo and Snapchat, but I see that there are third party apps which might replace some of these.

I have several other apps which aren't available but when I look at it, I don't actually need them. They have mobile sites that would be just fine.

Like yourself I think the 830 is a wise purchase; for me one of the most important features of my current phone is Glance (info when phone screen is off) and the 830 has it, but the 930 does not.

App wise, a search for Dublin Bus on the app store reveals Bus Nearby which seems highly rated. The AIB mobile website is virtually identical to the AIB app I used on android, so you'll be ok there. Snapchat is covered by a 3rd party client called 6snap which people seem to like. But unfortunately you're out of luck with Hailo (for now) as there is no 1st or 3rd party app available. Uber is there but here in Cork Hailo rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Bus nearby, I use all the time.
    NTA's Journey Planner is also available as is Moovit and Here Transit and a load of Luas realtime apps

Banking apps are sparse - pTSB relesed one the other month but is basically a web wrapper - I continue to use the mobile website on my L1520, it does everything I need.

Loads of 3rd party apps for the likes of Snapchat, Instagram, Youtube, Vine etc - the top ones are excellent

Like yourself I think the 830 is a wise purchase; for me one of the most important features of my current phone is Glance (info when phone screen is off) and the 830 has it, but the 930 does not.

App wise, a search for Dublin Bus on the app store reveals Bus Nearby which seems highly rated. The AIB mobile website is virtually identical to the AIB app I used on android, so you'll be ok there. Snapchat is covered by a 3rd party client called 6snap which people seem to like. But unfortunately you're out of luck with Hailo (for now) as there is no 1st or 3rd party app available. Uber is there but here in Cork Hailo rules!
    Hmm, now you say it, the AIB app is pretty much a web wrapper. I never realised that they have a mobile site but they do, and it's identical to what shows up in the app on iOS. So that's not a problem either.

In fact, Dublin Bus and Irish Rail also have mobile sites that seem to be just fine. The Dublin Bus RTPI section is almost identical to the app, which begs the question, why use the app? ;) Hailo isn't really a show-stopper to be honest. It's handy to have in emergencies but I wouldn't use it regularly. So I could probably just sign up for Uber instead.

This might actually be doable. :)

• Advertisement

I had a look at some reviews for the 830 and the more I look, the more I want it! The 930 looks great with the 1080p screen, but the micro SD slot on the 830 is swaying me towards it. The 830's screen is still higher res than my iPhone's too.

Price-wise, Amazon seems to be the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭nthside_cycle

I actually preferred the Here Transit App as it would give information for more than one bus stop as going to work I can get buses from different stops so quicker using this than dublin bus app and putting in each stop.

Just ordered an 830. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

How much?

wilser wrote: »
    How much?

€369 from Amazon.

• Advertisement

Congrats! and €369 is a great price. EDIT: if you spot a Qi charger somewhere cheap you should definitely try it out. One on the bedside locker and you'll never have to fumble with a microsd cable. With your iPhone you've been used to plugging in a lightning cable regardless of orientation but a microsd cable is pain in the ass in comparison as you never seem to get the orientation right first time. 1st world problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Congrats! and €369 is a great price. EDIT: if you spot a Qi charger somewhere cheap you should definitely try it out. One on the bedside locker and you'll never have to fumble with a microsd cable. With your iPhone you've been used to plugging in a lightning cable regardless of orientation but a microsd cable is pain in the ass in comparison as you never seem to get the orientation right first time. 1st world problem.

of course he means a micro USB cable :)

PaulieC wrote: »
    of course he means a micro USB cable :)

I might just try to blame autocorrect for that one!

You might be able to claim a free wireless charger and speaker
    You might need parcel motel as only allows UK addresses. I ordered mine for a 930 yesterday and was already shipped.

sorry for the double post on this but posted it with missing information and couldn't edit my post for some reason.
    I can't post links but google "930 uk offer" and should be the first web page you get when you go to the web page it says it valid for 930 and 830 phones so just need your IMEI from your phone and a UK address, I used parcel motel.
    I order this on Thursday and had it in my parcel motel friday evening

Ooh interesting! :) Haven't received the 830 yet, hoping today or tomorrow, but I'll certainly look into this. Thanks. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I can't post links but google "930 uk offer"

To save anyone the search https://lumia930offer.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,918 ✭✭✭circadian

Looking to upgrade from W7.8 and the 830 would be my preferred choice.

You made a good move OP. I was a heavy android user until a few years ago when I made the move to windows phone. Never really been swayed for anything else except maybe the sailfish OS.

Apps will come with time and the only one I miss is Hailo so I'm not too bothered. Most apps use the metro style UI so everything looks sleek and unified.

The one thing that seems to take time to get used to is being able to communicate via Facebook etc without the app. Just sync your account and merge your contacts, you can have number, email, Facebook, twitter etc under one persons contact details and post on walls etc from there.

I think they got rid of the Facebook messaging integration in W8.1 but I use it all the time. Same conversation window as texts and you can switch between fb and and sms.

The build quality of the Nokia phones is great and I know the 830 has a decent camera with an excellent software suite.

It'll be a bit different but you should enjoy the simplicity once you get usd to it.

Stupidly, I chose to have the phone delivered to my work address... but I'm not in work again until Monday! I was hoping it would arrive before I finished up but it didn't arrive today.

Oh well, have to wait until Monday before I can pick it up! :(

Stupidly, I choose to have the phone delivered to my work address... but I'm not in work again until Monday! I was hoping it would arrive before I finished up but it didn't arrive today.

Oh well, have to wait until Monday before I can pick it up! :(

Pop up to work and grab it!

• Advertisement

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Pop up to work and grab it!

I'll be in Kerry so it's not really an option. I should really have sent it down there.

I'll be in Kerry so it's not really an option. I should really have sent it down there.

Ah damn, that wait would kill me!

I missed my train this morning. May have been a blessing in disguise though, got a text from the receptionist in work to say that a box arrived for me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Davy wrote: »
    To save anyone the search https://lumia930offer.co.uk/

is this just for UK purchased Lumia 930s?? i get a message saying "Sorry, your IMEI number has not been recognised at present"

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

marcus2000 wrote: »
    is this just for UK purchased Lumia 930s?? i get a message saying "Sorry, your IMEI number has not been recognised at present"

Oops. I read the T+Cs and yes, just from authorised UK retailers!!!

Yes for UK purchases only. So if you buy from Amazon it should work fine. I bought my 930 from Amazon as was able to claim via parcelmotel without any issues.

Well I've been using the 830 for the last few days. Feeling a bit mixed, mobile IE seems to be a bit flaky with some sites partially loading or not loading at all.

I do like the interface though, just hoping it works out obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Well I've been using the 830 for the last few days. Feeling a bit mixed, mobile IE seems to be a bit flaky with some sites partially loading or not loading at all.

I do like the interface though, just hoping it works out obviously!

What sites, the browser should be pretty solid?

theothernt wrote: »
    What sites, the browser should be pretty solid?
    Mobile wikipedia is iffy, if I use the search and select one of the suggestions from the drop-down, it doesn't load.

There were some others that I don't remember but one from last night was when I opened a news article on Facebook, it went to the Sunday World mobile site and only showed the top banner and not the actual news content. I'm sure some of you would see that as helpful. ;) :pac:

• Advertisement

Hmm, I tried that Sunday World link again now that I'm back in Dublin and it loaded fine. So maybe it was the fact I was on rubbish 2 meg broadband down in Kerry! Mobile Wikipedia still not working but I got an app from the author of 6snap that will tie me over I think.

But I have found a big problem. I'm using a Tesco Mobile SIM in the 830 and the phone sees that I'm roaming as I have the solid roaming triangle in the status bar. I have to enable data roaming in order to use my mobile data. This is quite a serious issue for me as I occasionally travel to Monaghan and Downpatrick where I could find myself roaming on a UK network; inadvertently in the first case.

I know that technically I am roaming, as I'm using the O2 network, but is there any way to get the phone to understand that I'm roaming domestically? It seems that the OS does support it, but it needs be in the network profile, as per http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/how-to/wp8/connectivity/whats-data-roaming. If I go to that page I just see a "roam/don't roam" option as opposed to the "don't roam/domestic/domestic+international" options.

Advertisement