Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Chris Slade is 68 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭briany

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/phil-rudd-hugh-hefner/

Apparently new details have come to light in this case. Seemingly Rudd enjoyed a fair amount of paid female company, being described as the 'Hugh Hefner' of the town he calls home. Trouble is he seems to have felt they weren't always worth paying, which irked the local pimps resulting in death threats. This led to Rudd hiring extra bodyguards and attempting to pay them for the extra service of assassination.

Crazy, if true.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Apparently charges have been dropped, does this mean he'll be able to tour?
    www.blabbermouth.net/news/acdc-drummer-phil-rudd-procuring-murder-charge-dropped/

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I guess we'll know if Phil Rudd will be able to join AC/DC on their world tour after his court appearance on the 27th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

This story is ruddiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Apparently charges have been dropped, does this mean he'll be able to tour?
    www.blabbermouth.net/news/acdc-drummer-phil-rudd-procuring-murder-charge-dropped/

Procuring murder charge dropped, replaced by threatening to kill charge. An AC/DC world tour is a very risk averse operation. They're not going to take someone using meth with them. Rudd's blown it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Meursault

ush wrote: »
    Procuring murder charge dropped, replaced by threatening to kill charge. An AC/DC world tour is a very risk averse operation. They're not going to take someone using meth with them. Rudd's blown it.

If the drug charges stick, he wont be able to tour anyway.

no doubt, he will have the best lawyer money can buy and he will be cleared of the murder threats, etc, but it might be more difficult to get out of the drugs charges. He has already been caught for possession. The judge mightnt be so sympathetic this time around. that would rule him out of touring the US at least.

i think if he is cleared and gets his act together then he may yet survive.

i am surprised at the comments regarding Slade vs Rudd above. Malcolm is/was a ruthless m'f**ker. Look at what happened with M Evans. Just cut without reason and completely ignored ever since. Same with D Evans. It goes to show how important Phil was/is to the band that Malcolm was willing to take him back in to the band. Also, it is no coincidence that the period that Phil was out of the band coincided with the band's lowest ebb (notable exception being Thunderstruck - the rest of razor's edge was poor enough)

Its a moot point anyway, an AC/DC without Malcolm is not really AC/DC at all, in my opinion, and it is especially the case if Phil is gone now too.

Meursault wrote: »
    i am surprised at the comments regarding Slade vs Rudd above. Malcolm is/was a ruthless m'f**ker. Look at what happened with M Evans. Just cut without reason and completely ignored ever since. Same with D Evans. It goes to show how important Phil was/is to the band that Malcolm was willing to take him back in to the band. Also, it is no coincidence that the period that Phil was out of the band coincided with the band's lowest ebb (notable exception being Thunderstruck - the rest of razor's edge was poor enough)

Its a moot point anyway, an AC/DC without Malcolm is not really AC/DC at all, in my opinion, and it is especially the case if Phil is gone now too.

It sort of is. It didn't help that Rudd was gone, but there were a number of things going against AC/DC at that time. They were burned out by the mid-eighties having done almost nothing but tour-record, tour-record since they began in 1973. Brian's voice was shot because of the punishing vocal style he adopted since joining the band in 1980, musical fashions were changing, there was mishandling of the production on Fly on the Wall and BUYV and all those things also led to a brief loss of morale. It's not as if the band's fortunes suddenly bounced back after Rudd returned either. Ballbreaker was not exactly an amazing return to the pinnacle of the rock scene (again, musical fashions were working against them).

Regarding Slade, I just like his attitude. I think Malcolm probably felt that no other drummer was ever able to cultivate the same understanding as Rudd was able to, and that's pretty important to Malcolm, but Rudd doesn't just get a free pass because of that. When you watch Slade at (and I hate to bring it up again :P) Live at Donington, he just looks so happy and into the music he's playing, unlike Rudd who permanently has a fag-on 'another day at the office' head on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Meursault wrote: »
    Also, it is no coincidence that the period that Phil was out of the band coincided with the band's lowest ebb (notable exception being Thunderstruck - the rest of razor's edge was poor enough)

Well to be fair, I think they were coming into natural lull in their career at that stage anyway. Ran out of ideas. So I wouldnt really put it down to Rudd's departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

briany wrote: »
    Live at Donington, he just looks so happy and into the music he's playing, unlike Rudd who permanently has a fag-on 'another day at the office' head on him.

LOL...I discussed this with a buddy of mine in the past i.e. drinking at his house on a Friday night and just stuck on Live at Donnington..:o

I guess one minute he was just another washed up drummer from a 70s glam rock band and the next he is jamming with ACDC at Donnington. Looks like he felt like the luckiest guy alive...cant blame him really...:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I was watching a documentary on the band and a rock journalist said that when malcolm young was out of the band for a couple of years he went to see ac/dc and didn't like slade as a drummer, and from then rudd was wanted back.

Badabing wrote: »
    I was watching a documentary on the band and a rock journalist said that when malcolm young was out of the band for a couple of years he went to see ac/dc and didn't like slade as a drummer, and from then rudd was wanted back.

Malcolm was never 'out of the band' during Slade's tenure. He had to duck out of the 'Blow up you Video' tour for a couple of months in '88 to sort his alcohol problem, but that was before Chris joined the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/phil-rudd-jail-sentence-potential/
    Although the largest of the four initial charges against Rudd — that of attempting to procure a murder — was quickly dropped by police, three other charges remain, including threatening to kill, which by New Zealand law carries a maximum sentence of seven years in jail.

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Watch this be roundly ignored :p

Puns about needing a 'jaaiiilbreak' aren't clever or original.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,248 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

He was certainly responsible for some Dirty Deeds though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Wait till the next time you play Let There Be Rock ... the Problem Child has done the Bad Boy Boogie, and though he didn't Overdose, he might still Go Down ... they say it's Dog Eat Dog in the clink, but maybe Hell Ain't A Bad Place To Be?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Malcolm was never 'out of the band' during Slade's tenure. He had to duck out of the 'Blow up you Video' tour for a couple of months in '88 to sort his alcohol problem, but that was before Chris joined the band.

Yeah, Simon Wright was in the band at that point. Even so, Wright quit to join Dio so it's not like Malcolm fired him!

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Yeah, Simon Wright was in the band at that point. Even so, Wright quit to join Dio so it's not like Malcolm fired him!

They would have gotten rid of him anyway. Remember an interview with Angus where he pretty much tore Wright a new one. They were tired of him. Reckon he jumped before he was pushed.

OK I enjoy the song, but this video looks like a year one AV student project. It's just them in front of a green screen with random ball related footage. Totally underwhelming. It doesn't even look music video-y, having a stark digital camera look instead. I mean, I know that AC/DC are direct but this video shows absolutely zero ambition or imagination. Pretty much the worst video they have made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Good to see Stevie play a Firebird though

• Good to see Stevie play a Firebird though

I still maintain that he is a ringer for Klaus Kinski! Who is on drums in the vid, is it Rudd?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

Pretty much the worst video they have made.

Yip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

At least it wasn't the standard 'band play song on stage while crowd shake their fists'.

Like the album cover, I'm not too pushed on how good/bad the videos are. It's all about the quality of the songs for me. This one isn't bad but Rock or Bust isn't great so I just hope we get a good album in early December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭fluke

Was there not a competition offering fans be a part of the video shoot for this in London??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

fluke wrote: »
    Was there not a competition offering fans be a part of the video shoot for this in London??

Yip

They filmed a video for Rock Or Bust as well, maybe they'll use the crowd in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Terrible, terrible video. How David Mallet gets away with it I'll never know! They had someone else direct (can't remember who exactly) the SUL videos and they were pretty decent, but they went back to Mallet for the Black Ice ones and they were awful again.

The drummer in the video is a guy called Bob Richards, apparently a friend of Stevie Young's. Wouldn't be surprised if he's doing the tour. Very talented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDqUy5hvkOY

At least it wasn't the standard 'band play song on stage while crowd shake their fists'.

Like the album cover, I'm not too pushed on how good/bad the videos are. It's all about the quality of the songs for me. This one isn't bad but Rock or Bust isn't great so I just hope we get a good album in early December.

All I know is that AC/DC used to care about their presentation somewhat and now any semblance of that seems to have vanished. I don't think it's too much to ask of a multi-million dollar rock band to have an album cover that doesn't look like it was knocked together from a basic 'make a CD cover!' template and a video that looks a music programme on a public access station. It's like they just don't seem to care, or their management doesn't. That's what bothers me. At least crowd shake their fists, giant cogs and fans in cages would make it look like there was some effort put forth in the logistics of the whole thing.

Stevie looks out of place like a fan who won a contest to appear in an AC/DC video. Brian and Angus look fit as fiddles though, especially given their age.

I'd read suggested on the AC/DC forum that the video was a p*ss-take. A throwback to Sabbath's music video for Paranoid. Thing about that is that I've never really known AC/DC to do subtle nods to anything or throw in references that were less than 100 percent obvious. Of course, that could say something like that to cover up the stink a bit but it comes down to whether you believe them or whether you think it's just a bit of damage control.

I've also read it suggested that this video is a 'joke video', just to mess with the fans and the Internet, and that the real video will be out next week. If that's the case then well played, AC/DC and Mallet. We can only hope!

From that AC/DC forum also. Made me laugh...
    Brian already tweeted his reaction.

10169437_10152948160803474_4756199629026082073_n.jpg?oh=42a02f075cf522f284fd9577162f1017&oe=54E9B88E&__gda__=1423524465_e12b95cec81e00bafe67445b6c929e68

Where to start.....
    All I know is that AC/DC used to care about their presentation somewhat and now any semblance of that seems to have vanished. I don't think it's too much to ask of a multi-million dollar rock band to have an album cover that doesn't look like it was knocked together from a basic 'make a CD cover!' template and a video that looks a music programme on a public access station. It's like they just don't seem to care, or their management doesn't. That's what bothers me. At least crowd shake their fists, giant cogs and fans in cages would make it look like there was some effort put forth in the logistics of the whole thing.

Its not the 80's anymore. Getting playtime on MTV isn't important. Record covers aren't important in the greater scheme of things either.

Also, how is making the same video again putting in an effort.
    Stevie looks out of place like a fan who won a contest to appear in an AC/DC video. Brian and Angus look fit as fiddles though, especially given their age.

Who cares. I'm sure Stevie is a good player. Thats all that matters. I'm sure the drummer is professional enough too.
    I'd read suggested on the AC/DC forum that the video was a p*ss-take. A throwback to Sabbath's music video for Paranoid. Thing about that is that I've never really known AC/DC to do subtle nods to anything or throw in references that were less than 100 percent obvious. Of course, that could say something like that to cover up the stink a bit but it comes down to whether you believe them or whether you think it's just a bit of damage control.

Dude, it a 100 percent obvious. You're hard of humour.
    I've also read it suggested that this video is a 'joke video', just to mess with the fans and the Internet, and that the real video will be out next week. If that's the case then well played, AC/DC and Mallet. We can only hope!

From that AC/DC forum also. Made me laugh...

Really, who cares. Videos aren't what AC/DC is about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ush wrote: »
    Where to start.....

Its not the 80's anymore. Getting playtime on MTV isn't important. Record covers aren't important in the greater scheme of things either.

Also, how is making the same video again putting in an effort.

Who cares. I'm sure Stevie is a good player. Thats all that matters. I'm sure the drummer is professional enough too.

Dude, it a 100 percent obvious. You're hard of humour.

Really, who cares. Videos aren't what AC/DC is about.

I'm with you here. The days of sitting in front of MTV watching videos is over now. Even online or wherever, no where near as much focus is on videos these days.

Advertisement