Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know Your Elves 11 - Alicat

Options
  • 07-11-2014 10:07am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Good Morning one and all and Happy Friday! It's the first Friday of NOVEMBER and the Christmas season is in full swing! Ads, lights and sweets and treats are popping up everywhere now!

This week, the floor belongs to Alicat.

So let's go!

1) What's your favourite Christmas Movie?
    2) Favourite Christmas Song?
    3) Favourite Christmas Ad?
    4) What brought you to the Christmas Forum on boards.ie?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Real tree or fake tree?

Have you started your Christmas shopping yet?

Does your family have any unusual Christmas traditions?

What makes you start thinking "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What's your favourite part of Christmas dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Loughc wrote: »
    Good Morning one and all and Happy Friday! It's the first Friday of NOVEMBER and the Christmas season is in full swing! Ads, lights and sweets and treats are popping up everywhere now!

This week, the floor belongs to Alicat.

So let's go!

1) What's your favourite Christmas Movie?

Thanks, Loughc :)

Sooooo many stand-out ones! I have a few; National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Home Alone, a Muppet Christmas Carol, and It's A Wonderful Life! Don't make me pick!

2) Favourite Christmas Song?

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, the Frank Sinatra version. It makes me all tingly and emotional and happy :)
    3) Favourite Christmas Ad?

Budweiser Clydesdales! And the original Coca-Cola ad.
    4) What brought you to the Christmas Forum on boards.ie?

Any mention of Christmas and I'm there! :p I think I spotted it on the main page and immediately latched on!

Scarinae wrote: »
    Real tree or fake tree?

Fake in my apartment unfortunately! I'd be afraid the cats (indoor) would whiz all over a real one :pac: And one of them leaps into it so often it wouldn't survive December. At least with a fake one I can bend it back into shape after I've pulled him out by the back legs!

Always a huge 8 foot real one in my Mum's though, which is lovely. - "Looks great! Little full. Lotta sap." :D (bonus points for getting the reference)
    Have you started your Christmas shopping yet?

Not quite yet, but I have been looking a lot online and have a few possibilities ear-marked.
    Does your family have any unusual Christmas traditions?

Umm, we have our big Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve night? Big party, lot of food, lots of noise, lots of people, and gift bags for everyone. Last year we had 22 I think! I work in retail so I finish work every Christmas Eve at 5pm, so it's a big rush to my parent's house (only five mins from mine) and dive straight into it!
    What makes you start thinking "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas"?

Well, the song does! :P But other than that, a real chill in the air, dark evenings, and lighting candles all start to get me in the mood.

What's your favourite part of Christmas dinner?

The buzz! :) The excitement, the laughter, and everyone in good form :) The food is lovely, but we sacrifice a piping hot meal to serve all our guests first. It's quite a tradition now, and I think it's become a tradition for the family and neighbours that we invite every year. They all look forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hey Alicat!

I've some questions for you! :)

Is there anything you would change about Christmas if you could? If so Why?

Have you many visitors for Christmas do you have generally or are you the one that visits?

Close family only or any one and every one?

What's your general Christmas Eve/Day consist of typically.

Describe it in as much/little detail as you like.

Thanks!

Hey Alicat!

I've some questions for you! :)

Is there anything you would change about Christmas if you could? If so Why?

I wish it snowed every Christmas! From about 5pm on Christmas Eve until the end of St. Stephen's Day, without fail! :D
    Have you many visitors for Christmas do you have generally or are you the one that visits?

Other than the party the night before, we don't have many. On Christmas Day we generally congregate in my Granny's with my Mum's side of the family, but she only lives 5 minutes away so it's not a big deal. Then, if my Aunt is "feeling Christmas" she does a dinner that evening in hers (again, only 5 mins away). She's a fickle woman so if she doesn't do dinner, we have a small relaxed one at home.
    Close family only or any one and every one?

Just close family, but we are a very small one! We don't see my Dad's family that much since his parents passed so we only have my Mum's Mum left. My mum only has two siblings, and I've no cousins left in the country (all in London, New York, and South Africa). My bro lives in London, but he'll come over.
    What's your general Christmas Eve/Day consist of typically.

Describe it in as much/little detail as you like.

Thanks!

In work (in a pharmacy) for 9am. Be merry and jolly, and eat chocolate while working like maniacs. Everything about the day is late; people panicking over their prescriptions or not having enough presents, but in general it's a bit of craic.

Head home at 5pm, pick up my stuff and head to my parents' house for the big party. Everyone tends to leave around ten, so we clear up, and watch a movie whilst eating more chocolate and enjoying a drink or two, before heading to bed.

Wake up around nine, check that my stocking is gone (yes, I am 30! :pac: ) and head downstairs. Now that we're old, everything is much more sedate. We have breakfast, stick on another movie and open presents together. Then it's off to Granny's, and possibly my Aunt's, before heading back for more chocolate, drink and Christmas Specials.

Very easy going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

As an expert Decoration buyer, what is the one theme you'd love to see Decoration makers do?

Do people still buy Yardley/Morny soap sets as presents?

and my usual Contents of your time machine Selection Box?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

What to you is "the smell" of Christmas?

Would you like to go away on holidays for Christmas?

What's your dream present this year?

washiskin wrote: »
    As an expert Decoration buyer, what is the one theme you'd love to see Decoration makers do?

God, I think I've seen everything at this stage! It's just a shame I don't work in a big department store because I'd be able to reach my full potential there! :D
    Do people still buy Yardley/Morny soap sets as presents?

Yes. Without a shadow of doubt. But it's not like you'd sell hundreds of them, so a few to keep the oldies happy normally does the trick ;)
    and my usual Contents of your time machine Selection Box?

Hmm, well most of them are pretty current so perhaps the time machine wouldn't be required...

Maltesers, a Whole Nut, a Twirl, a Fry's Peppermint Cream, an old Care Bear bar, a Kinder Bueno and a few Ferreros!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What's your most memorable christmas moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Alicat wrote: »
    an old Care Bear bar

I've never met anyone else who remembers the Care Bear bars! They were so good.

Do you prefer Christmas nights out or Christmas nights in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Great questions everyone and Alicat great answers!
    What date will your tree go up?
    Christmas jumpers yes or no?
    Christmas earrings yes or no?
    Christmas pjs yes or no?
    Do you watch the RTE toyshow?

What to you is "the smell" of Christmas?

Ohhhh... Lots of things! Christmas Cake in the oven, the smell of a real Christmas Tree, sweet Clementines, and I seriously love my Yankee Candles. I buy so many of them every year!
    Would you like to go away on holidays for Christmas?

As in for Christmas Day? I don't think so.... Although I could be tempted by a very nice warm, cozy hotel in Ireland, that had lots of Christmas Decorations. Just to try it!

I've been to New York in December five times though :) LOVE IT! It's been with my family each time (although I've let the boyfriend tag along the past two times) and they all love Christmas too. We spend ages quoting Christmas movies ("Give this to Kevin." "Give this to Kevin." ... "Kevin's not here." "Kevin's not here.") and getting into the Christmas Spirit visiting the stalls, and the Rockefeller tree.
    What's your dream present this year?

As in, proper dream? Wishful thinking if my family became rich? A new car. Brand spanking new.

Whispered wrote: »
    What's your most memorable christmas moment?

Hai Whispered! :D

I have a few.

1. One of my earliest memories was when we had to stay in my Gran's for Christmas while moving house. I was three and I remember coming into her sitting room on Christmas morning and Santa had left me a HUGE (to a 3 year old) Heffalump stuffed toy.

2. Christmas morning for quite a few years - waking at an ungodly hour, still dark outside, and leaping on my parents bed with my little bro, screaming "HAPPY CHRISTMAS! SANTA! SANTA!!!" Then Dad would go downstairs to 'check Santy had been' (a.k.a. turning on the Christmas tree lights, lighting the fire, and turning on the kettle) while we hopped up and down on the landing waiting for the go ahead. I mean, we knew he had been because our stockings were gone from our door knobs, and he had left his trail of glitter down the stairs, but Dad still had to check :P Then, the best feeling in the world - coming around the corner at the bottom of the stairs, and you could see the glow coming from the sitting room door. Everything else dark, not even any lamps, but just this beautiful, Multi-coloured, sparkly tinsel-filled glow radiating from the doorway. And you knew what was waiting around the corner for you. Positively magical :)

3. One year, (and it's on video, which is even more embarrassing) I start to bawl. My mum pulls me onto her knee (I think I'm holding a book) and she tries to coax it out of me what's wrong. I eventually blubber, "I'm ... I'm ... I'm just sooo... soooo... Happy!" Followed by more breathless sobbing :pac:

4. Another year, about a week before Christmas, it was a chilly dark evening. Dad all of a sudden was calling us from the front door, to come outside quickly and see what was there. Well, hadn't Santy only gone and left us two soft toy Robins, sitting on the garden fence. BEFORE Christmas! I remember being very impressed with him that year :D

I've never met anyone else who remembers the Care Bear bars! They were so good.

Do you prefer Christmas nights out or Christmas nights in?

They were! With that pink gooey stuff in the middle!

Oh definitely nights in. Super cosy, tree on, fire on, candles light, cup of tea or hot chocolate, a Christmas movie or some Christmas music. And preferably really cold weather outside.

Although sometimes a night out to a Carol service or some late night shopping is a lovely way to spend an evening :)

SarahLil wrote: »
    Great questions everyone and Alicat great answers!
    What date will your tree go up?

I might out it up the weekend of the Toy Shoy, or possibly the weekend after, but no later! And then the excitement really starts with my parent's main tree! The big real one, which has no real pattern or colour. It's full of absolutely every type of decoration we've collected over the years. It will go up the weekend of the 13th I suspect.
    Christmas jumpers yes or no?

Hell yeah!
    Christmas earrings yes or no?

Yes, absolutely, but I tend to get slightly prettier ones, rather than the big gaudy ones? I wear them every day from about mid-December :)
    Christmas pjs yes or no?

I get new ones every year from Santa :P
    Do you watch the RTE toyshow?

Without fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hi Alicat,

Which do you prefer mince pies,christmas pudding or christmas cake
    Whats your typical St Stephens day like hectic or chilled
    What are you hopeing to get off Santa

delw wrote: »
    Hi Alicat,

Which do you prefer mince pies,christmas pudding or christmas cake

Oh definitely Christmas cake! Mince pies are kinda new to me but they are creeping up to a close second. Pudding... Not so much.
    Whats your typical St Stephens day like hectic or chilled

Very chilled! More vegging! Then at about four I head off to the boyfriend's mothers house and spend the evening with them and their family. I don't think it's happening this year as he's working so I might get to spend it at home, which is good timing as my bro will be heading back to London on the 28th :)
    What are you hopeing to get off Santa

Nothing really! I don't really need anything... I'm a giver, not a taker! I love wrapping presents and giving them to people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Ideal work Christmas party?

IF you were to go abroad for Christmas where would you go?

Favourite Christmas dinner side dish?

• Advertisement

Oops, I missed this somehow!
    washiskin wrote: »
    Ideal work Christmas party?

Maybe party in the Shelbourne Hotel, overnight stay, all paid for by the boss :D
    IF you were to go abroad for Christmas where would you go?

Somewhere snowy! White Christmas, cosy cabin style, with big fireplaces :)
    Favourite Christmas dinner side dish?

Honey-roasted carrots!

Honey-roasted carrots!

Any chance of a recipe? They actually sound amazing! Haha :)

I'll have to ask my mum, she's the chef! :)

I'll have to ask my mum, she's the chef! :)

Thank you :)

Thanks to your Mam too! Haha.

Advertisement