Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car parked in front of drive, can't leave.

Options
  • 08-11-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong forum (it probably is) but what do I do with a car that is parked in front of my drive since today. It was there today when I came back and I had to park away from my house. When it left after an hour or so I pulled into my drive. Went to drop my boyfriend off tonight and the car is now right in front of entrance to my house so I cant leave. Its been there for a few hours now even though right across the street is a car park and also they could have parked anywhere else on my road but chose to in front of a drive where they have now enclosed a car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Knock on a few neighbours doors and ask. Some people just don't have common sense and if you politely remind them it should sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

shake it around and see if you can set off the alarm. Hopefully owner will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I had this years ago.

Try sounding horn for a bit before 2330 or after be ilegall.

Take a hammer and make a lot of noise they will come running:pac:

Thats what I done they really thought was going to smash window to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Knock on a few neighbours doors and ask. Some people just don't have common sense and if you politely remind them it should sort it.

we have new neighbours so it might be somebody belonging to them. However I've rang their doorbell and knocked already now and they wont answer, even though they're home. Wouldn't be any of the other neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Call the cops. They can get it towed at this hour for causing an obstruction

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the suggestions. Would I be charged if I got it towed by the guards? Its a very fancy Audi and if it is to do with anyone in the house next door, well lets just say they're not the sort I want to get on the wrong side of.

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Would I be charged if I got it towed by the guards? Its a very fancy Audi and if it is to do with anyone in the house next door, well lets just say they're not the sort I want to get on the wrong side of.
    No. Call the cops and ask them to come out. Tell them you've tried the neighbours but nobody owns it and you can't leave you're driveway. Won't cost you anything.

Defo call cops say you need to get out of house as need to get something or make up story then get towed especially if you think next door are to0;)ls

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In the interests of inter-neighbour relations I wouldn't be calling the cops

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

colm_mcm wrote: »

Wouldn't be too worried about relationships if there so ignorant as to block up OPs drive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wouldn't be too worried about relationships if there so ignorant as to block up OPs drive!

This is what they are like before you call the cops.

I've to leave the house around 8 in the morning, if they're still there and not answering the door still I'll ring the guards. Not looking forward to the reaction however..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I did this once before when I was blocked into my drive way. The garda took the reg, said she'd try call them and get it moved, then she rang me back and said they were on their way (the owner)

I was wondering how dafuq did she have the number, then I noticed a space for your mobile on the car tax forms last time I filled one out, so they must have been able to access that.

If they've tried to find them and failed it's not their fault. Of course it could also be stolen. In all honestly the cops would try find them also and if they have drink taken will move it if they give them the keys (from what I've seen before)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I did this once before when I was blocked into my drive way. The garda took the reg, said she'd try call them and get it moved, then she rang me back and said they were on their way (the owner)

I was wondering how dafuq did she have the number, then I noticed a space for your mobile on the car tax forms last time I filled one out, so they must have been able to access that.

You can have it added to the car registration as well. (logbook)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'd second not calling the cops.

Try the neighbours again. They're new, you don't know them so tread carefully this time. Some people are that silly - I have an uncle who blocks gates when he visits. It doesn't even dawn on him what he's up done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

ba_barabus wrote: »
    No. Call the cops and ask them to come out. Tell them you've tried the neighbours but nobody owns it and you can't leave you're driveway. Won't cost you anything.

I made the mistake of blocking someone's access before (didn't think a car would fit). Was towed. It's fair game if they're doing this.

I understand your reluctance but ringing cops just before you need to leave isn't a great idea. May take a while for them to turn up.

Ring doorbell again, leave note in letterbox loudly if they won't answer. Leave note on car incase they move so won't do again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

we have new neighbours so it might be somebody belonging to them. However I've rang their doorbell and knocked already now and they wont answer, even though they're home. Wouldn't be any of the other neighbours.

Where do you live? All this sounds very dodgy. If it's a bad area I would be wary of any house with a fancy car outside, really bad estates always have one fancy house with an expensive sitting outside that even the worst scrotes won't go near and for good reason.
    Your comment about not wanting to get on their wrong side stands out to me. Unless you mean that they're nice and you wish to keep good neighborly relations, but it doesn't sound like that.
    First step was trying to ask the neighbors, didn't work but at least you tried. If that doesn't work you could put a polite note on their window asking them not to block your drive. If you need to go somewhere and no-one has answered, then that car will have to move, one way or the other.

Where do you live? All this sounds very dodgy. If it's a bad area I would be wary of any house with a fancy car outside, really bad estates always have one fancy house with an expensive sitting outside that even the worst scrotes won't go near and for good reason.
    Your comment about not wanting to get on their wrong side stands out to me. Unless you mean that they're nice and you wish to keep good neighborly relations, but it doesn't sound like that.
    First step was trying to ask the neighbors, didn't work but at least you tried. If that doesn't work you could put a polite note on their window asking them not to block your drive. If you need to go somewhere and no-one has answered, then that car will have to move, one way or the other.

no its definitely not cos "they're nice." cant collect my boyfriend from work now. Fed up doesn't describe it. Area is fine, its just them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Why is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

no its definitely not cos "they're nice." cant collect my boyfriend from work now. Fed up doesn't describe it. Area is fine, its just them.

Did you ring the cops?
    No point complaining and giving out if you didn't.
    Otherwise, drive your car right up to the Audi, ring the cops and say you've been almost hit by a car that's now been abandoned, things will move quickly then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

"The Cops". Cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭wandererz

OP, most people out there just don't care nor give a damn.
    Stuff like this will just gnaw at you and lead to frustration.

As an example, i have an upstairs neighbour who does their washing through the night. This leads to the water pump coming on every few minutes for hours on end.
    I've been nice, knocked on their door and asked nicely. I've rung their intercom at 3am and promised to continue to do so until they stopped. They continued.

I had to get the management company to write them a warning letter.

Previously i had the MD of a large organisation do his wood working through the night above me. I had to get the Gards to intervene.

People just don't give a sh1t.
    Just do what you have to do to get it sorted. If it means calling the Gards then do it.
    It will lead to a calmer you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I'd definitely ring the Gardaí. If it does belong to your new neighbours and they take umbrage at the Gardaí being involved just explain to them that after calling to their door and getting no answer, you assumed it wasn't theirs and apologise for the misunderstanding (despite the fact that they should be apologising to you.)

You can't be walking on eggshells around these neighbours at your own expense but you can still be somewhat diplomatic in your dealings with them in order to sustain civility in the long run.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

+1 on calling the Garda to gave it moved.
    Nobody has the right to park across your driveway and block you in. Apart from being one of the most ignorant and inconsiderate things to do, it is also illegal.
    You have knocked on the doors and done your best to find the owner and either they are not around or you are being ignored and their having a good laugh at your expense. Don't accept it and don't feel intimidated or bullied by this, call out the Garda, get it moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

bidiots wrote: »
    Did you ring the cops?
    No point complaining and giving out if you didn't.
    Otherwise, drive your car right up to the Audi, ring the cops and say you've been almost hit by a car that's now been abandoned, things will move quickly then.

This is really ridiculous advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ok Im interested. What did you do OP?

In a rage she drove her car into the Audi and a big fire ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

In a rage she drove her car into the Audi and a big fire ball.

Or woke up the big bad neighbours early this morning and is now stashed in the boot of the Audi :(

(if this turns out to be true I'll feel really bad)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Op, in future, park across your driveway (I know you shouldn't have to).
    They might get the message.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement