Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much recycling

Options
  • 04-11-2014 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm just wondering, is it me or does anybody else find it difficult to fit all the recyclables into their bin. I'm currently with Greenstar who collect every fortnight and more often then not, I find myself jumping up and down like a lunatic trying to squeeze everything in whilst holding onto whatever close to prevent the bin from sliding out from under me.
    I know there are mechanical lever compactors which just hook onto the underside of the bin handle, acting as the pivot point. They seem easy to use and do the job but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

Be nice to hear anyone's taught about and other possible solutions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

depends how you pack your bin,empty milk containers plastic loose lid flatten then tighten,cardboard boxes rip into decent size,egg boxes and paper as far as i know can also go into compost bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

kingoffifa wrote: »
    I'm just wondering, is it me or does anybody else find it difficult to fit all the recyclables into their bin. I'm currently with Greenstar who collect every fortnight and more often then not, I find myself jumping up and down like a lunatic trying to squeeze everything in whilst holding onto whatever close to prevent the bin from sliding out from under me.
    I know there are mechanical lever compactors which just hook onto the underside of the bin handle, acting as the pivot point. They seem easy to use and do the job but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

Be nice to hear anyone's taught about and other possible solutions.

Why not just put it in your other bins (not the compost bin).
    It will get baled and sent to Europe for incineration (cheapest route for recovery) and maybe if, again, cost permits some energy recovery for peoples lights in the Netherlands.

It's debatable if this is just as effective as trying to recycle it especially for a country as small as Ireland with no economies of scale. If we are not going to try recycle or recover as much material as possible i don't think we should bother dwelling too much about it.

Street bins/parks etc are not sorted to recover materials - its simply baled and incinerated. Same for non-recyable bins which are typically full of recyclables (think student housing, apartment block bins, residents who simply don't care about what bin they use etc). And it wont be either as places like Indaver and now soon at Poolbeg will need this material to be financially viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

bgo1 wrote: »
    Why not just put it in your other bins (not the compost bin).
    It will get baled and sent to Europe for incineration (cheapest route for recovery) and maybe if, again, cost permits some energy recovery for peoples lights in the Netherlands.

It's debatable if this is just as effective as trying to recycle it especially for a country as small as Ireland with no economies of scale. If we are not going to try recycle or recover as much material as possible i don't think we should bother dwelling too much about it.

Street bins/parks etc are not sorted to recover materials - its simply baled and incinerated. Same for non-recyable bins which are typically full of recyclables (think student housing, apartment block bins, residents who simply don't care about what bin they use etc). And it wont be either as places like Indaver and now soon at Poolbeg will need this material to be financially viable.

by any chance would you have more links to info relating to the cost of recycling. I'm doing a mechanical project on recycling reduction and any help with hard facts would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

feeditout wrote: »
    by any chance would you have more links to info relating to the cost of recycling. I'm doing a mechanical project on recycling reduction and any help with hard facts would be appreciated.

Apologies if hijacking the OP request for info.

What type of costs do you mean..For individuals, waste management companies, treatment plants or Ireland in general?

Its currently 75 euro a tonne to dispose municipal waste to landfill (Environ.ie). From this figure, every avenue that is used for waste management will cost less than this per tonne if that helps as a starting point. The EPA have national statistics for waste in their yearly reports which might help for other aspects of what you are doing but not with getting down to the brass tax. Companies like REPAK might assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 feeditout

bgo1 wrote: »
    Apologies if hijacking the OP request for info.

What type of costs do you mean..For individuals, waste management companies, treatment plants or Ireland in general?

Its currently 75 euro a tonne to dispose municipal waste to landfill (Environ.ie). From this figure, every avenue that is used for waste management will cost less than this per tonne if that helps as a starting point. The EPA have national statistics for waste in their yearly reports which might help for other aspects of what you are doing but not with getting down to the brass tax. Companies like REPAK might assist you.

I'm referring to the cost of collection services. How much if cost em to collect and processes the waste in Ireland. Not the UK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I find myself jumping up and down like a lunatic trying to squeeze everything in whilst holding onto whatever close to prevent the bin from sliding out from under me.

I'm sounding like my mam here but be careful doing that. I know 2 people who broke their arms when the bin slid out from underneath them.

Like the others said flatten plastic and tetra pack containers and rip up cardboard and ull have way more room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I find myself jumping up and down like a lunatic trying to squeeze everything in whilst holding onto whatever close to prevent the bin from sliding out from under me.

I'm sounding like my mam here but be careful doing that. I know 2 people who broke their arms when the bin slid out from underneath them.

Like the others said flatten plastic and tetra pack containers and rip up cardboard and ull have way more room

Advertisement