Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Americans know about Ireland - CNBC interview

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

People in Dublin think we use sterling in Donegal so hardly surprising.

We'd bite your hand off for it but that's beside the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Ye hide the fact that ye took the Queen's sovereign? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sweet Jebus, that guy on the right who asks all the dumb questions!

How is he even in such a job? He is brainless. I bet one of those guys who knows nothing about the world if its outside of the US. "What, you mean Italy's in Europe? Get outta here"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

At least he wasn't asked - "have you got electricity in Ireland?" like I was when I was over there.

catallus wrote: »
    Ye hide the fact that ye took the Queen's sovereign? :mad:

Won't take her sovereign but I'd kill for her head. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

good to know you've progressed from turnips at least

good to know you've progressed from turnips at least

Fifty euros doesn't last half an hour in a pub, a drill of turnips will last you all winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

"Norther Ireland, there the one's that should be the ones not using the pound, there the one's that wanted to break away"

Yeah...to the UK :confused:

.....a drill of turnips will last you all winter.

A drill of turnips? Did they teach you that fancy talk in Lancashire? :mad:

catallus wrote: »
    A drill of turnips? Did they teach you that fancy talk in Lancashire? :mad:

What else would you grow turmits in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Wow, didn't realise he was such a buffoon, to be honest I think the other two anchors were a little embarrassed by him!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Thankfully they are not all that thick. I was pleasantly surprised when I was over there in the lead up to and after the Scottish Referendum, how many were really well clued in on it and had some lively debates about the pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Martin Shanahan came across really well there. I felt sorry for the woman who kept trying to bring the interview back on track while the guy on the right shouted over her about how confused he was.

Martin Shanahan came across really well there. I felt sorry for the woman who kept trying to bring the interview back on track while the guy on the right shouted over her about how confused he was.
    There's an old saying about empty vessels and noise, but I can't for the life of me remember how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

To be honest though it's not just Americans that are like this.
    I'm fairly well travelled and I would say the majority of people around the world think that Ireland is in the UK. Have even met many English people who still think that Ireland is in the UK.
    Also met Asians who had never even heard of Ireland.
    Lived in Holland for 7 years and was called "Engels" (English) all the time. Had some even not believe me that we have the Euro, let alone our own government etc.

It's very annoying. I know we speak English but so does USA, Canada, Australia etc.
    People don't seem to have confusion with Austria and Germany or France and Belgium.
    Don't understand how it happens as basic geography teaches you here about other countries so surely it's the same abroad?

There's an old saying about empty vessels and noise, but I can't for the life of me remember how it goes.

One in the hand is worth two in the bush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

Was this the final phase of the intern assessment for junior financial journalists?

Mr. Shanahan handed both the chaps on the panel their asses, with complimentary pats on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭DuMorph

It also reminded me of that TV show where one of the hosts said that JayZee put Dublin on the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Won't take her sovereign but I'd kill for her head. :p

You want head from Lizzy, **** you're just weird!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm fairly well travelled and I would say the majority of people around the world think that Ireland is in the UK. Have even met many English people who still think that Ireland is in the UK.
    Lived in Holland for 7 years and was called "Engels" (English) all the time. Had some even not believe me that we have the Euro, let alone our own government etc.

It's very annoying. I know we speak English but so does USA, Canada, Australia etc.
    People don't seem to have confusion with Austria and Germany or France and Belgium.
    Don't understand how it happens as basic geography teaches you here about other countries so surely it's the same abroad?

Agree with this, just had a conversation with a lovely Ukraine lady who was shocked to be told that Ireland wasent England lol
    Have to say I laughed myself as if 'twas before I be reading her the proclamation,anyway I left her more confused than before...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sweet Jebus, that guy on the right who asks all the dumb questions!

How is he even in such a job? He is brainless. I bet one of those guys who knows nothing about the world if its outside of the US. "What, you mean Italy's in Europe? Get outta here"

I bet he thinks Central America is Kansas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

People in Dublin think we use sterling in Donegal so hardly surprising..

They just launder it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Reminds me of when I had just got to Australia and went out to the beach with a few people in the hostel I was staying in. Headed there with three lads in the same room as me - two mates from London and one guy from Worcester. So here we are in Sydney nearly at the Opera House to get a half hour ferry up to Manly, when the Worcester fella starts giving out about Asians. Just an unannounced rant with every slur in the world and not even a hint of sarcasm or humour to it... really random.

Anyway, he then begins to move in about "Krauts and all the bloody foreigners at the hostel" when I remind him were all foreigners there jokingly, since the London fellas were looking proper uncomfortable at this point. So he turns and says (completely friendly and oblivious, no idea how wrong he was or on a into up whatsoever) "well we found Australia... and here we are, four English lads!" which had the London lads cringing hard, looking like they expected something to kick off (I was just trying to stop from falling over laughing). So I just kind of look at hi many say "eeehhhh...." and he did in fairness correct himself, unfortunately to "four UK lads then!" Again I don't even know what to say, so just "eeehhhh....". Again he corrects himself, now to "well at least we're all British!"

I always have to laugh a little when I think of that moment and the London fellas completely incredulous faces. He wasn't the brightest spark though that Worcester lad, he had an absolute obsession with ironing everything for ages (socks, boxers and all) and his surname was Crease, and he somehow never put that together until I nearly wet myself when he told me his surname after 2 or days. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Kim Kardashi Un

A stitch in time gathers no moss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

At least he wasn't asked - "have you got electricity in Ireland?" like I was when I was over there.
    To be fair I went to school with some Kenyan lads who were asked a number of times if they knew what a TV was, needed to be shown how to use a microwave etc. Not even from poor backgrounds of anything either - white, richer than most people in the school, and with an accent way, way closer to English than African.

That said they were teenagers asking (with the odd wildly stupid, similar remark from a teacher or other adult) and not hosts on financial programmes for major news networks like CNBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Didn't bother watching the video but we're a very small country with no genuine global significance yet we have a relatively large 'footprint' based on a pimped-out, slightly cartoon image of our culture and history and a disproportionate self-regard for ourselves as a nation so this kind of stuff is always slightly inevitable.

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

He should have come back with "America, so ye're basically Canada, right? After all ye're right next to each other. Why do ye not use Canadian money?"

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

anncoates wrote: »
    Didn't bother watching the video but we're a very small country with no genuine global significance yet we have a relatively large 'footprint' based on a pimped-out, slightly cartoon image of our culture and history and a disproportionate self-regard for ourselves as a nation so this kind of stuff is always slightly inevitable.

Get over it.

Why would you comment if you couldn't be bothered watching the video? You are as ignorant as the American tv host in the video.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

*lol Believe me, they do confuse Austria and Germany. And Switzerland and Germany.
    If they even are aware that there is a place called Austria. My Austrian relatives, when travelling abroad and telling people where they're from, usually get faced with really confused expressions and cautious "Do you mean Australia?" questions.

And that's not even in the US, that has happened to them in Turkey, in Malta and in Iceland.

At least people know that Ireland exists ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Kovalev68

Shenshen wrote: »
    *lol Believe me, they do confuse Austria and Germany. And Switzerland and Germany.
    If they even are aware that there is a place called Austria. My Austrian relatives, when travelling abroad and telling people where they're from usually get face with really confused expressions and cautious "Do you mean Australia?" questions.

And that's not even in the US, that has happened to them in Turkey, in Malta and in Iceland.

At least people know that Ireland exists ;)

That's shocking, have these people never seen dumb and dumber!!

Advertisement