Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin footballer gets off with no criminal conviction for unprovoked attack

Options
  • 28-10-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

Another example of a completely shocking decision by an Irish judge.

From RTE
    'Dublin footballer Diarmuid Connolly has been spared a possible jail sentence and a criminal conviction for an unprovoked attack on a man in a pub two years ago.

The 26-year-old All-Ireland winner had pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Anthony Kelly, who suffered a fractured eye-socket at a pub in Phibsboro in Dublin in the early hours of 6 August 2012.

Judge Patrick Clyne said he was dismissing the case because Connolly had done all that had been asked of him through a series of restorative justice measures'

I think the shocking thing about this was he didn't even get a conviction purely because he can kick ball

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Warper wrote: »
    Judge Patrick Clyne said he was dismissing the case because Connolly had done all that had been asked of him through a series of restorative justice measures'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I think the shocking thing about this was he didn't even get a conviction purely because he can kick ball

Yeah, but that's like.... your opinion, man....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

That Irish judicial system for u

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

Another fine GAA man!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

From RTE
    'Dublin footballer Diarmuid Connolly has been spared a possible jail sentence and a criminal conviction for an unprovoked attack on a man in a pub two years ago.

The 26-year-old All-Ireland winner had pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Anthony Kelly, who suffered a fractured eye-socket at a pub in Phibsboro in Dublin in the early hours of 6 August 2012.

Is there any evidence that he didn't get a conviction because he can play football? Or are you just jumping to conclusions?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

From RTE

How do you know he didn't get a conviction because he can kick a ball? GAA is an amateur sport..you know....wageless, so it's not like he has a Ronaldo-type bank account to buy a verdict.
    The guilty plea obviously came with a stipulation that he would avoid a conviction if he satisfied certain criteria. I can only guess but I would imagine that this was contingent upon the agreement of the victim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

That's a possibility alright

So is this though.
    Judge Patrick Clyne said he was dismissing the case because Connolly had done all that had been asked of him through a series of restorative justice measures '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If that was a Donegal GAA footballer he have gotten 10 years

:-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

a soft touch to be sure but sure your surprised ?

the only one who did well out of the whole thing was the solicitor as per usual

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

playing gaelic football is punishment enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

From RTE

Far be it from me to defend Diarmuid Connolly but he was tried and convicted - his first offence I believe and was sentenced to community service http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0527/619981-diarmuid-connolly-court/

Having completed that, and not gotten into trouble in the mean time the decision was the probation act. Don't bother giving all the facts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

dquinnan wrote: »
    Another fine GAA man!

The literal get out of jail card'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I am no fan of the GAA Mafia but even the lowborn on streets struggle to get a conviction now a days. Anybody can go out and beat the crap out of somebody and just say you are enrolling in an education programme, have a drink/drugs problem or the good old had a rough childhood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Did he have Mick Galway as a character reference?
    That usually helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Pretty clear that the reason he avoided a conviction was because he carried out 80 hours voluntary work coaching kids, so it is reasonable to assume he got off because he's a well known gaa player. Disgraceful if that's the case.

I once hit somebody after "extreme provocation" (as the judge himself called it), and still got a conviction that I'll probably have forever.

Pity I gave up gaelic football. If I had trained hard and made the county team I'd probably have no conviction on my record.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Pretty clear that the reason he avoided a conviction was because he carried out 80 hours voluntary work coaching kids, so it is reasonable to assume he got off because he's a well known gaa player. Disgraceful if that's the case.

I once hit somebody after "extreme provocation" (as the judge himself called it), and still got a conviction that I'll probably have forever.

Pity I gave up gaelic football. If I had trained hard and made the county team I'd probably have no conviction on my record.

A pretty lazy analysis . . . A quick search online will throw up several cases where those convicted were sentenced to community service with no evidence of having a "GAA Background" - but again its After Hours so whinge away about the big bad GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

He may or may not have avoided a punitive sentence because he's a Dublin footballer, but his status has definitely helped him on After Hours. Around half the posts are supportive of him, or the sentence, quite a change from the 90% "hang the scum in the public square/this country's gone mad" arse-roaring you usually get on crime threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Ah it's like secondary school all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Which is another way of saying, he really didn't want to send a Dublin Footballer to prison and was glad he didn't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If he played for any other County in Ireland it would be "Gaa player avoids sentence"

Them Dublin scumbag s getting away with murder as usual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Putin wrote: »
    Which is another way of saying, he really didn't want to send a Dublin Footballer to prison and was glad he didn't have to.
    Where does it say that?

It says that he was asked to do a number of things in lieu of a prison or suspended sentence, and he did all of these things. Therefore he got no sentence.

Tbh, it seems like a perfectly fair outcome in this case. He straight up apologised unreservedly, pleaded guilty and met with the victim who accepted the apology.
    He also paid a greater fine than could be issued in law, completed more community service than he had to and attended anger management classes.

It seems to me that there is no need to impose a sentence - the purpose of the justice system is not to exact revenge or to punish blindly, but to seek to ensure (through punishment) that the offender understands the gravity of their actions and pays their debt to society in kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Was this before the regular judge in this court or was there some juggling to get it before a certain judge ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

His uncle taught me in cool. Another tough guy like his nephew.let him off sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

His uncle taught me in cool. Another tough guy like his nephew.let him off sure

You must not have learned very well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

seamus wrote: »
    Where does it say that?

It says that he was asked to do a number of things in lieu of a prison or suspended sentence, and he did all of these things. Therefore he got no sentence.

Tbh, it seems like a perfectly fair outcome in this case. He straight up apologised unreservedly, pleaded guilty and met with the victim who accepted the apology.
    He also paid a greater fine than could be issued in law, completed more community service than he had to and attended anger management classes.

It seems to me that there is no need to impose a sentence - the purpose of the justice system is not to exact revenge or to punish blindly, but to seek to ensure (through punishment) that the offender understands the gravity of their actions and pays their debt to society in kind.

Thats a fine explanation for not imposing a custodial sentence, Its a terrible argument for not giving a criminal conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Maybe he showed how remorseful he was and if the judge is happy with that then thats a practical decision to make.
    What would be gained locking him up.
    Hopefully he's learned from it .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thats a fine explanation for not imposing a custodial sentence, Its a terrible argument for not giving a criminal conviction.
    Not really.

What's the purpose of a criminal conviction?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Imagine the extra waffle that will be heard if and when he wins Dublin a big game over the next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭blackwhite

seamus wrote: »
    Not really.

What's the purpose of a criminal conviction?

Having a legal record of Connolly acting like a violent thug would be one, in the event that he was involved in a similar incident in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"I knew his father", "family well respected in the community", "heavily involved in the GAA"

Advertisement