Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to get into a flat batteried M6

Options
  • 26-10-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

My friend has an M6 lying up. it is parked in a lock up. nose inwards. The battery is stone flat. the owner remembers having a plastic key which could open the door but all we have now is both key/fob y thingys.
    Some time ago when faced with the same situation ,but with the car outdoors, we were advised only solution was to jack up car to gain access to the starter and supply voltage to open doors. now not possible

any suggestions

thanks in Advance , rugbyman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

rugbyman wrote: »
    My friend has an M6 lying up. it is parked in a lock up. nose inwards. The battery is stone flat. the owner remembers having a plastic key which could open the door but all we have now is both key/fob y thingys.
    Some time ago when faced with the same situation ,but with the car outdoors, we were advised only solution was to jack up car to gain access to the starter and supply voltage to open doors. now not possible

any suggestions

Is the battery in the boot or the engine bay? If it's in the boot then does the key not open the boot manually? Even with a flat battery, doesn't the key open the doors manually? If so, can't you pull/push the car out enough to get at the battery if it's in the engine bay?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

any suggestions

I'd imagine you need to open the drivers door lock with the key, it will split from the key fob. after unlocking the car, open the bonnet and their is a power point in the engine bay on the nearside or left hand side- should be a red cover on this, flip over plastic cover to reveal power point..... put positive lead from power pack on this and negative on i.e a good earthing point, in order start the car. to access the battery you would need to press the unlock button inside car (with power pack on power point) open the boot remove trim on right hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,701 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Something like this

I recall another solution involving connecting power to the number plate bulb sockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Give Bmw a ring and ask them, I'm sure they'll have seen it before.

Otherwise if you have window cover, you could go MC Hammer on it.. Hammer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There's a charging point under the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

The FOB has a blade key built into it. It will open the locks if the battery is dead, turn it counter clockwise in the lock. The boot lock is under the boot bmw rondell above the licence plate. The battery is in the boot, access it and jump from the battery ( could be a bit risky) or bring a new battery or battery charger. Ideally jump from the jump point under the hood.

Page 34 of the owners manual http://www.bmwusa.com/pdf_06873e8a-0d79-4220-914f-f82cc385ae63.arox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭mossy50

a LUMP hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Just back from pub. thank you for all replies, without answering specifically, there was once a plastic key that opened the door, it is lost
    This means that access to car, to get bonnet opened is not possible( so far)
    I am 90 % certain the boot cannot be opened with a key (especially since we have no key)
    colm if there is a charging point under the car , I will google this and it may /should help.
    Tomorrow I will sort it , or as the Pinky and the brain would say, make plans to take over the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Just back from pub. thank you for all replies, without answering specifically, there was once a plastic key that opened the door, it is lost
    I am 90 % certain the boot cannot be opened with a key (especially since we have no key)
    colm if there is a charging point under the car , I will google this and it may /should help.
    Tomorrow I will sort it , or as the Pinky and the brain would say, make plans to take over the world!

If you can't get into the bmw, you have no hope of taking over the world :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fmcg_scribe

As already explained in this discussion, the "key fobs" you mention contain integrated keys that can be removed to open the boot or the driver's door. The plastic key you mention is only a spare key.

If you can open the boot or the driver's door, you'll be making progress.

See page 28 of owner's manual PDF in reply #7.

• Advertisement

As already explained in this discussion, the "key fobs" you mention contain integrated keys that can be removed to open the boot or the driver's door. The plastic key you mention is only a spare key.

If you can open the boot or the driver's door, you'll be making progress.

See page 28 of owner's manual PDF in reply #7.

Sacre Bleu, FmcG I have just found ze key inside the fob...its like a secret sword..which one could use to tunnel out of the tower where one had been locked, having been uncovered as a spy/agent/lover......M6 s gives one a fertile imagination..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

There's no hope.
    Car will be a write off, I'll give you €250 for it, can't say fairer than that.
    Ye weren't using it anyway.

Random, theres no doubt, you are a decent chap, there are others who would kick a man when he`s down.

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

If you contact BMW with the registration number, they should be able to provide a replacement key.

Right, after getting access, thanks to FMG Scribe and Fitsgeme, I disconnected the positive lead, and put a mains fed charger on to battery, three hours later, would not light the ignition, fours hours later ,the same,Though strangely it lit a yellowy rear lamp on one side.

Just rang a competent mechanic, who told me it was not unknown ,and that I should get a bulb and bulb holder and put it between the terminals for a few seconds while the charger is attached and it should `kick start` the system

I had been hoping to post here this evening, `the beast roared`, maybe tomorrow

abff wrote: »
    If you contact BMW with the registration number, they should be able to provide a replacement key.

You're referring to the plastic key mentioned mentioned by the OP?

Right, after getting access, thanks to FMG Scribe and Fitsgeme, I disconnected the positive lead, and put a mains fed charger on to battery, three hours later, would not light the ignition, fours hours later ,the same,Though strangely it lit a yellowy rear lamp on one side.

Just rang a competent mechanic, who told me it was not unknown ,and that I should get a bulb and bulb holder and put it between the terminals for a few seconds while the charger is attached and it should `kick start` the system

I had been hoping to post here this evening, `the beast roared`, maybe tomorrow

From what you said initially, the battery was very far gone. Therefore, I reckon that it will take a lot of hours for the charger to get the battery to a state where it can turn the engine - the time taken might depend on the charger being used.

People often forget that how much energy a battery needs to a turn an engine - even a loss of, say, 5% could be enough to prevent a car from starting.

Make sure that the charger is disconnected from the battery before you try the engine, otherwise... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

This is an M6 being woken from a long sleep. I'd be inclined to stick a new battery in it besides messing around powering up the system with very low voltage etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Put a new battery in. Modern electronics don't work properly with bad batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Sacre Bleu, FmcG I have just found ze key inside the fob...its like a secret sword..which one could use to tunnel out of the tower where one had been locked, having been uncovered as a spy/agent/lover......M6 s gives one a fertile imagination..

Not really a secret, just common sense!

• Advertisement

I think once you get a new battery it needs to be coded or registered to the car, I've seen it mentioned on a BMW forum before.

I would be super careful about how you treat things anyway, high or low voltage can do whacky things to computers, and the M6 has a lot of expensive bits you don't want to have to replace!

mickdw wrote: »
    This is an M6 being woken from a long sleep. I'd be inclined to stick a new battery in it besides messing around powering up the system with very low voltage etc.

Agree that that might be best way to go. Depends on what caused the current battery to drain - lack of use, a power drain, age of the battery, and so on.

Even if the charger seems to complete a charge cycle, it might be a good idea to have jump starter/battery booster on standby to give the current battery a helping hand - ideally, the booster's output would match the cold cranking amps of the battery.

I think once you get a new battery it needs to be coded or registered to the car, I've seen it mentioned on a BMW forum before.

I would be super careful about how you treat things anyway, high or low voltage can do whacky things to computers, and the M6 has a lot of expensive bits you don't want to have to replace!

Yep, battery registration is essential if a BMW car has stop/start and/or a different size of battery is being fitted.

However, if replacing OEM battery with the exact same battery and car does not have stop/start, registration might be optional but recommended.

OBD port needs to be accessed to complete the registration.

Thank you all for your advice, the car is eight years old, I suspect the battery was replaced two years ago, there is a sticker saying OEM, on it. I will set the charger on again today, with the bulb suggestion for a minute.
    I reckon/reasise that most of you know more than me, but since the battery is reluctant to take a charge, without the bulb thing, might tens mins with jump leads charging from my car help to get the ball rolling

Lead acid batteries are reliable except for one thing, they don't like to be deep cycled, fully discharged. I reckon you can't rely on that battery after it has been discharged. I would just bite the bullet and replace it for peace of mind.

Lead acid batteries are reliable except for one thing, they don't like to be deep cycled, fully discharged. I reckon you can't rely on that battery after it has been discharged. I would just bite the bullet and replace it for peace of mind.

Agreed. If the battery was fully discharged, its operational life has been shortened considerably.

can you get access to the engine bay to jump from another car? This car is automatic (ish) and cannot be towed, and jumping directly off the batter terminals is according to "internet" not a good idea.

These cars have a massive power draw at startup. Make sure the lights are turned off (to the right of the steering wheel) before attempting to start it.

can you get access to the engine bay to jump from another car? This car is automatic (ish) and cannot be towed, and jumping directly off the batter terminals is according to "internet" not a good idea.

These cars have a massive power draw at startup. Make sure the lights are turned off (to the right of the steering wheel) before attempting to start it.

I can, later today bring a charged battery pack and attach it under the bonnet. I cannot see why the car would care where the jump lead was attached, but I do know there are lots of beliefs held and some may be true., so I respect your 'internet' comment
    We could have jumped it from a jeep yesterday to the battery, one reason I did not, was because the battery was stone flat it may have caused a serious charge/surge from the alternator and damagesome electrics. I am aware that to prevent this, leaving the leads in place with thedonor car running for a few mins would have been wise.

I greatly appre iate all the advice on here, but what it boils down to now is why the battery gained almost nothing from six hous charging off a mains fed charger. At the three hour stage , finding no ignition lights, I replaced the positive lead, re attached the charger, and got various lights to light up (dashboard). This proved that there was power coming from the charger. I quickly stopped this as I feared the alarm or some other event migt occur. It was just to check

The advice from a very competent mechanic re the bulb amazed me, and yet didnt. Have to go and get one

I suppose there are a lot of electronics between the battery and engine. Jumping form the engine bay terminals probably bypasses a lot of these and allows the car to start. The charging of the battery is probably more complex than simply flowing electricity directly into it....I am guessing here, but given how massive the battery is in these cars I would guess there is some voodoo going on.

But I have been this solider and I found that a good strong car (a jeep should be fine) to the engine points with the lights switched off will start the car. Take it for a long spin. It is commin for the electronics to go haywire and for there to be a load of check engine light, DSC errors etc to get thrown after the jump. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Right Chaps, I took the bull by the horns. The bulb thingy did not appear to work. I attached abattery pack under the bonnet and started the car., ran it for five mins or more, was going to take for a spin , but got called away, one thing though, after that five m7ns , the ignition lights still would not come on. Am off to work today, left it on charge

Advertisement