Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people abroad who just won't shut up moaning about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Weird, maybe we have a better class of expat down here. That must be it.

I'd still be there if the wife wasn't from here, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

ireland as a country is great, the people are great, the craic is great, but we tolerate an unbelievable amount of bullsh!t from the establishment and there are a lot of countries where I can imagine after spending some time in, looking back and seeing how docile Irish people tend to be about standing up for ourselves might indeed give the place a bit of a nasty hue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Areyouwell wrote: »
    Had to leave Ireland to pursue my education and profession. Came back over qualified and highly skilled for said profession. Barely two weeks in the job and I was told by a colleague that I will always be viewed as an outsider (This was in Dublin btw). The fact the everybody loved me, seemed to make me more of a threat to senior management. One of these managers had spent an internship several years earlier in the UK with me, where I had mentored and trained them. Now they were looking down their nose at me. I realised then that who you know, not what you know will never die in Ireland. It's too small, too parochial for that to ever change. Sadly I left Ireland again because of the professional small mindedness and cliques. And thankfully, I have now reached the pinnacle of my profession. I have been rewarded for my skill and ability. Rather than where I was from, or what my Father worked at. So nobody's going to tell me I have no right to moan about Ireland, especially since I was driven out of it and would still be there thanks to a shower of c**ts.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They should stop obsessing about where they're from and just get on with life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Yogosan

Not me. I make sure to let them dirty foreigners know that Ireland is the best country in the enire world. I then continue to list all the reason why Ireland is better than whatever hell hole country I have the misfortune of setting foot in.

I actually did this recently to a girl in Spain! (She was Romanian) She got a good laugh out of it. She even gave me her email address, so I proceeded to send her even more reasons why Ireland is better! (Apart from Dublin, obviously)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

So is being an annoyingly proud irish abroad any better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

There's a guy in the politics forum, and I SwearTaGod, he consumes most of his time describing how shít Ireland is. I reckon he's in the US on some sort of extended J1. If you hate it so much, let it go, move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

daveyeh wrote: »
    Wah wah wah
    Linoge wrote: »
    loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Ah bless, trying to feel better about yourselves. As much as I wanted to stay in Ireland, I probably should be grateful for the the thick, insular, small minded ****'s I used to work with. Only for them, I wouldn't have left and I wouldn't be as totally minted as I am today. I love my homeland, there's no more beautiful country in the world and I always visit family & friends 6-7 times a year. But it's the few inbred, insular types and their incestuous cliques that will always have a strangled hold on some professions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

A lot of people forced to emigrate need to convince themselves and others they their new home is wonderful by bitching about home.

We all know the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

cloud493 wrote: »
    I'm so shocked my monocle has fallen out.

It fell into your brandy with an amusing 'plook' sound?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I like getting away every now and then but my favourite bit of every trip I've ever been on is that first view of Ireland as you fly back in.

Mine too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I'm sick of reading online comments from Irish people who have moved abroad and just moan about Ireland.

"It's a ****hole"
    "I hate that place"
    "Thank god I left that miserable dump"
    etc.
    etc.

You didn't like living here, so you pissed off to start a new life. So, shut the **** up and get on with enjoying your new life you miserable arsehole.

Rant over.

:)
    I can solve you problem, stop reading online comments from Irish people who have moved abroad ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Be a lovely little country if ya could only roofit

Yep, there's that sort too. Probably left years ago.

I find it's the recently departed whinging out about property tax or water or whatever. Why do you care?? YOU LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!!

Maybe they are not directly affected but they care about their family and friends getting screwed over, i.e. YOU?

By actually being empathetic with their friends they get hostility and negativity in return :confused:

Surround yourself with positive people. You can easily defriend these people on Facebook and stop reading all the negativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

I take up the nationality of the country i am currently in. For example i was in France not so long ago so i considered myself French for a few weeks. All my Facebook status updates were in French, all my texts were in French etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Had to leave Ireland to pursue my education and profession. Came back over qualified and highly skilled for said profession. Barely two weeks in the job and I was told by a colleague that I will always be viewed as an outsider (This was in Dublin btw). The fact the everybody loved me, seemed to make me more of a threat to senior management. One of these managers had spent an internship several years earlier in the UK with me, where I had mentored and trained them. Now they were looking down their nose at me. I realised then that who you know, not what you know will never die in Ireland. It's too small, too parochial for that to ever change. Sadly I left Ireland again because of the professional small mindedness and cliques. And thankfully, I have now reached the pinnacle of my profession. I have been rewarded for my skill and ability. Rather than where I was from, or what my Father worked at. So nobody's going to tell me I have no right to moan about Ireland, especially since I was driven out of it and would still be there thanks to a shower of c**ts.
    Ah bless, trying to feel better about yourselves. As much as I wanted to stay in Ireland, I probably should be grateful for the the thick, insular, small minded ****'s I used to work with. Only for them, I wouldn't have left and I wouldn't be as totally minted as I am today. I love my homeland, there's no more beautiful country in the world and I always visit family & friends 6-7 times a year. But it's the few inbred, insular types and their incestuous cliques that will always have a strangled hold on some professions.

If I had to guess I would say there were others factors at play here... Perhaps your personality?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I find it's the opposite. Many of my friends who live outside the country often view it with rose tinted glasses and my friends who still live there complain about paying for stuff every other first world country pays for,corrupt incompetent government and of course the weather.

So true. Whinging about the water charge and property tax, both of which are less than 1/10 what people pay in other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I take up the nationality of the country i am currently in. For example i was in France not so long ago so i considered myself French for a few weeks. All my Facebook status updates were in French, all my texts were in French etc etc.

Could be many reasons for that:
    • Practice
    • Social circle speaks French
    • Enthusiasm about new culture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Biggest moaners of Ireland that I've come across still live at home. I would definitely be one of those emigrants with rose-tinted glasses on and generally only have positive things to say about the country to people here but I don't think I'm exempt from complaining about aspects of my country because I live abroad though. Chronic moaning is another thing entirely and I've met a few of those abroad. Insufferable people generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I posted a link to a local news story in Galway on Facebook with a comment on it about 3 weeks after I moved to the US. The response was a long the lines of well, at least here we don't *insert a generalization about America*

In fairness there's about 5 or 6 of my friends on Facebook that are at that craic so it's not everybody but there's some that see you as an outsider the minute you leave.

I've come to appreciate some things about Ireland that I never appreciated before and have started to dislike some things I had felt indifferent about before. The grass is always greener....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What do you expect OP, if some one move abroad to a country that actually functions normally it tends to open ones eyes about how Ireland really operates. It's not all bad but it's cringe worthy at times reading about Ireland from a different perspective. I would imagine the same could be said about most places though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Well played Sir...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I always find it hard to believe these totally unsubstantiatable online stories like reaching the "pinnacle" of your profession. They're never modest or simply make a step up, its always "I was written off in Ireland, but I moved abroad and now a month later I'm Commander in Chief of the Universe, typical Irish begrudgery"

They remind me of young lads with their "Yeah I might get rejected here all the time, but I got with this utter stunning girl on holiday....far far away....with no name...and I also lost her number, but she was a pure 10/10 I swear"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

I think a lot of people who emigrate feel the need to justify their decision by slagging off Ireland particularly if their new life is not so rosy. 'I may be only a toilet cleaner here in Sydney but I get more money than I would in crappy Tipperary' That kind of thing.

Others are just bitter about having to leave.

There's a lot wrong with this country but there's more good than bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What I find worse is Irish people moving abroad and constantly whinging about where they've moved to and the locals.

Ffs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

People who've emigrated pi** me off and I'm not sure why.

Whenever I hear of people who've gone off to Oz or New Zealand, found work, fell in love, had a child....and just deserted their families, friends and country..it just irks me.

I know a fella who moved to Oz back in 2005. He met someone, married her, had a baby and now he's always on Facebook saying he wishes one day he can get home so that his parents can meet his son before they die.

I find the whole thing so sad for the people left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I like getting away every now and then but my favourite bit of every trip I've ever been on is that first view of Ireland as you fly back in.

Nothing like the Ryanair 20 minute walk of shame through T1 arrivals on a dark, dank Dublin evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I always find it hard to believe these totally unsubstantiatable online stories like reaching the "pinnacle" of your profession. They're never modest or simply make a step up, its always "I was written off in Ireland, but I moved abroad and now a month later I'm Commander in Chief of the Universe, typical Irish begrudgery"

Tell me then, what if anything, that we post on this site is actually or has been substantiated? Or are you the resident Master of Verification here who decides this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

fussyonion wrote: »
    People who've emigrated pi** me off and I'm not sure why.

Whenever I hear of people who've gone off to Oz or New Zealand, found work, fell in love, had a child....and just deserted their families, friends and country..it just irks me.

I know a fella who moved to Oz back in 2005. He met someone, married her, had a baby and now he's always on Facebook saying he wishes one day he can get home so that his parents can meet his son before they die.

I find the whole thing so sad for the people left behind.

That's just Irish begrudgery. Sure what do you care if someone leaves and finds happiness? Ireland is a TINY country there's a lot more to the world than living on an island a few hours drive wide.

Advertisement