Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Intake 7

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭KT0903

oztop1234 wrote: »
    Mine just arrived

Looking forward to going home, hopefully mine is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Brunoboy

Just got mine

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mikey87

just reading through the pack and noticed it says that on intake Sunday one of the items we are supposed to bring with us is "car insurance which should cover business use". I have car insurance but pretty sure it doesn't cover business use, anybody know why we need this? Also i've heard that it adds quite a lot on to your premium and im not sure how i feel about calling up my insurer and telling them i need business cover as im joining the PSNI. I think i read somewhere on here that there are certain insurance companies that the PSNI recommend you use, anybody know any more about this, i'm tempted to wait until induction and see if they mention anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LadyVernal

mikey87 wrote: »
    just reading through the pack and noticed it says that on intake Sunday one of the items we are supposed to bring with us is "car insurance which should cover business use". I have car insurance but pretty sure it doesn't cover business use, anybody know why we need this? Also i've heard that it adds quite a lot on to your premium and im not sure how i feel about calling up my insurer and telling them i need business cover as im joining the PSNI. I think i read somewhere on here that there are certain insurance companies that the PSNI recommend you use, anybody know any more about this, i'm tempted to wait until induction and see if they mention anything about it.

Hi, I am part of Intake 6. I asked at induction and you do need this type of insurance. It only cost me an extra £25 and I didn't say I was joining the PSNI, just said it was for my job and they didn't ask any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 39 loggingfolk

I see on the induction pack it mentions an advance on pay if you start after the 15th of the month. I know it doesn't apply here but it says you pay minus 40% for tax pension and national insurance. I currently pay 20% of my wages to tax and national insurance. Does that me we have to pay 20% of our monthly wages to pension contribution as standard?

• Advertisement

Me again, am I correct in thinking we get an environmental allowance (NI allowance) of something like 3K which would cover pension contributions?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Yorkist

Standard for police and definitely know its the same as west yorkshire, different stations and locations you have to move between in your car so you need 'business use' to be correctly insured.
    Also for security purposes you are a civil servant, remember the bit about not telling people you are in the psni. This will be talked about and explained on your induction weekend.

• mikey87 wrote: »

You don't 'need' it, but you can never claim for travel expenses if you don't have it. Most insurance will cover you for nothing or next to nothing to change, and you will save yourself a heap of money over the years. It's business use insofar as you will use it to travel to different places of work. Make that clear if you're changing your premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ighty

Hi everyone. Count me in for group 7! Argh so excited. I have been lurking on the boards for a while now and find them really good - so nice to meet you all!

Has anyone phoned gv yet to give them car reg for induction weekend. I called the number it says for college administration and the guy on the other end said I had got through to a classroom and he couldn't help me. He then gave me another phone number to call but it doesnt have enough digits for a phone number lol.

• Advertisement

Has anyone phoned gv yet to give them car reg for induction weekend. I called the number it says for college administration and the guy on the other end said I had got through to a classroom and he couldn't help me. He then gave me another phone number to call but it doesnt have enough digits for a phone number lol.

Did you have any luck getting through? I'm experiencing similar problems lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ighty

Hiya I have rang with my reg details and got through no problem. If you want to, PM me to check the telephone number?

I called again a few days later on exactly the same number and got straight through. I think maybe when they are busy and there is nobody to answer the phone it just gets diverted to another part of the building.

ighty wrote: »
    Hiya! Everyone excited about the weekend!? I have rang with my reg details and got through no problem. If you want to, PM me to check the telephone number?

Thank you, I got through eventually via the switchboard. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon. Excited & nervous but I'm sure it'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Don't forget about security!

Think you guys should edit your posts a bit!

Do you have to notify them of your on car reg? I though it was only for guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Cromlech

Whenever you received the call, was it from a withheld number? Not that I expect a call anytime soon, just wondering as I don't generally answer withheld numbers.

Yeah it was a private number that called me

Brunoboy wrote: »

Cheers, I guess I should start answering them in the future just incase.

• Advertisement

Cromlech wrote: »

My home phone is private and I answered the call with, "well what's up 2day" only to get the shock of my life!!..I'd start answering them surely if I was you but I do think they leave a voicemail if you can't answer..goodluck,hope you get the call!

Cromlech wrote: »

My home phone is private and I answered the call with, "well what's up 2day" only to get the shock of my life!!..I'd start answering them surely if I was you but I do think they leave a voicemail if you can't answer..goodluck,hope you get the call!

Brunoboy wrote: »

Haha, as a kid I answered the phone with 'what?', glad I grew out of that.

I'm not expecting a call anytime soon (62 score at AC), but it's good to know I should answer the private numbers from now on.

Cheers, goodluck with training.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭didierdrogba

Although I'm in the same boat, as in not expecting a call this batch,I'm hoping they do leave voicemail as my phone is extremely temperamental and about 90% of calls aren't coming through at the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I don't know the answer but I don't think they would leave voicemail, security reasons and all that. They definitely wouldn't if it's the standard voicemail recording.

I'm sure someone will know the answer though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pb82

When did you guys find out the salary?

Induction weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

good luck to anyone in intake 7 ! you will enjoy it! :)

Advertisement