Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas party is no more

Options
  • 19-10-2014 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

Soooo im on the social board at work which organises the work parties and all that craic. We submitted out christmas party idea to our global parent company

They have come back to us and said we cant call it christmas party anymore because its not christmas to everyone and not everyone in the company is irish catholic

Has anyone had this before..is it pc gone mad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

tell them its an Xmas party

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Caybar

Call it an End of Year party,

A thank you for everyone's hard work during the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Know exactly how you feel. As head of the social board for my company I emailed the global HQ with my submission for the big Christmas party bash and quick as a flash, they popped back a reply.

Away and have a good sh1te to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

F-ck off PC (American?) multinational tosh. Christmas is far more a cultural thing than a religious thing nowadays. I'll stop now before a rain of profanity falls from my fingertips.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Happy holidays to you OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Tell them its a Christmas party to the vast majority of people

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's Christmas got to do with Catholicism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Have a thanks given one instead

And tell them your having it in December due to the Irish wether...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's Festivus for the rest of us!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

What's love but a second hand emotion?

Exactly. The catholic cult is as far removed from Christianity than any other religion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

:( Sorry to see this kind of bullsh1t getting traction over here, I thought it had been largely contained to parts of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Seasons greetings y'all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

15 posts in and nobody mentioned burn down the business?

You show them OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Poxy foreigners. Coming over here and giving us jobs.

In the words of billy bob thornton in bad santa: 'Up your ass'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Lets forgot two thousand or so years of history so Johnny come lately doesn't get offended, or even worse pompous pc goons that get offended on their behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Specialun wrote: »
    and not everyone in the company is irish catholic

Do foreign Catholics not celebrate Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

:( Sorry to see this kind of bullsh1t getting traction over here, I thought it had been largely contained to parts of the US.

It's made it way into Canada as well. About five years ago, our work changed it to a "Holiday Party". Last year, the woman organising took it upon herself to call a Christmas party again, and everyone thanked her. The only reason we have a party at that time of year is because it's Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭Tefral

Lets forgot two thousand or so years of history so Johnny come lately doesn't get offended, or even worse pompous pc goons that get offended on their behalf.

Yes.... "History"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jaysus - have we been celebrating Christmas for 2000 years in Ireland?

We must have invented it!

No multi national would be that specific, so I doubt it's happened at all.

What's most likely happened is that they don't want to spend money on a staff party and are pretending it's in the interests of inclusiveness.

What the Op should have done was call it an end-of-year party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He didn't give it that much thought when he was making up his story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Specialun wrote: »
    They have come back to us and said we cant call it christmas party anymore because its not christmas to everyone and not everyone in the company is irish catholic

Now I'm no religionologist but I thought this Christmas lark might have spread further than the Catholic church.

Still though - at least you get to have a party and let's face it - ye don't really care what the f*ck it's called as long as you can get rat-arsed and try to get off with Sharon from accounts.

My boss, who is also my landlady and my grandmother said I wasn't allowed one this year because she can still see the stains after the 'incident'.

:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jaysus, I wonder what the window display in Brown Thomas looked like 2000 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

If they don't respect our wish to celebrate Christmas, they can go back to where they are from or don't bother attending.

Hate how other groups think we must adopt to their beliefs and we are offending them otherwise. If we go to live in their country would we tell them to stop their beliefs and culture because we don't like it!! No.

These cretins are the ruination of this world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Be sure to only give presents to the people who celebrate Christmas in that case, would be pretty strange to give presents to colleagues on a certain occasion every year for no reason

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

After a long absence from Catholicism I'm liking the new show they've put out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Candie wrote: »
    No multi national would be that specific, so I doubt it's happened at all.

What's most likely happened is that they don't want to spend money on a staff party and are pretending it's in the interests of inclusiveness.

What the Op should have done was call it an end-of-year party.

They dont mind the party going ahead.....just not for it to be known as a christmas party

Advertisement