Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you making any pressies?

• 14-10-2014 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭

My favourite part of Christmas is gifting :) ...the finding or creating and the wrapping too. I have always been on a limited budget, so getting creative was the fun part.

Are you making any pressies this year? Food - crafts... anything? Do you have a holiday specialty? Or a fave pressie from the past that was a hit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I was really tempted to buy a massive pumpkin in the fruit and veg shop today. Would have been perfect for making a decoration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

I haven't been able to celebrate christmas (my fave time of year) in a few years, so I really hope I get to atleast make some food pressies this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Wibbles19

I make Christmas puddings for all my nearest and dearest. I've to make another one this year as my niece is getting married on the 24th Oct, and another family starts. Storing up the ingredients at the moment,mixing and steaming will start in about 2 weeks.

goz83 wrote: »
    I was really tempted to buy a massive pumpkin in the fruit and veg shop today. Would have been perfect for making a decoration.
    ooh, that would be very cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I do some wood carving, time consuming but makes a nice present and always appreciated.

• Advertisement

I made some greenery vases and wreathes for a few neighbours a long time ago... Dunno if anyone liked them, so I might stick to food gifts this year. Must decide what though.
    23910641-9bcf-411a-acd4-a1bbdc9ded67_zpse09af9bd.jpg

I do some wood carving, time consuming but makes a nice present and always appreciated.
    What an incredible talent! ...and the time it takes to create them - must be gifts people treasure :)

Wibbles19 wrote: »
    I make Christmas puddings for all my nearest and dearest. I've to make another one this year as my niece is getting married on the 24th Oct, and another family starts. Storing up the ingredients at the moment,mixing and steaming will start in about 2 weeks.

oh wow, yum! Lucky niece :) ...sounds like a very nice tradition, wibbles. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Interrobang

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

I would love to be able to give people in my family handmade stuff - but I know in my heart it wouldn't be appreciated and would be seen as me trying to do Christmas on the cheap. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Great ideas I would love to receive any of them 😄

very cute!

washiskin wrote: »
    I would love to be able to give people in my family handmade stuff - but I know in my heart it wouldn't be appreciated and would be seen as me trying to do Christmas on the cheap. :(
    I am sorry washiskin... some members of my family are that way too. :(
    But it is the only way I can do Christmas, so atleast :D I will enjoy it (whether they do or not) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

TommieBoy wrote: »
    I am sorry washiskin... some members of my family are that way too. :(
    But it is the only way I can do Christmas, so atleast :D I will enjoy it (whether they do or not) ;)

I AM making a knitted Christmas bunting for my o/h and the biggest kick I got was his reaction to a Beard Beanie I knitted him last year so at least he appreciates it.....but I have one sister who is soooooo money, money, money it would sicken you. And I mean everyone else's money but as little as possible of her own. :rolleyes:

BTW I envy your wreath making skills...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Couch Potatoette

washiskin wrote: »

I know exactly what you mean. Although I sometimes find I spend more on materials for homemade presents! I made Christmas bunting last Christmas (sewed mind you, not knitted. That sounds amazing).

I have great intentions of making loads of things this year...whether or not that happens is another thing. I've already started the limoncello and orangecello. I want to make a pom pom garland, some memory wire bracelets (I've already made a heap of rings), a driftwood Christmas tree, leather hair bows (if I can get my hands on some leather remnants) and lots of other things. I don't know where I'm going to find the time. I think I need to quit my job!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My sister is the homemade presents one in the family. She works with felt a lot. She made felt Christmas tree decorations (stuffed with cotton wool) and last year she made a finger puppet that I saw on Etsy. Saved me loads of money on getting it shipped here. I'm not as creative as she is though so I'll leave it to her.

I know exactly what you mean. Although I sometimes find I spend more on materials for homemade presents! I made Christmas bunting last Christmas (sewed mind you, not knitted. That sounds amazing).

I have great intentions of making loads of things this year...whether or not that happens is another thing. I've already started the limoncello and orangecello. I want to make a pom pom garland, some memory wire bracelets (I've already made a heap of rings), a driftwood Christmas tree, leather hair bows (if I can get my hands on some leather remnants) and lots of other things. I don't know where I'm going to find the time. I think I need to quit my job!

Wow, you sound awesomely crafty and creative! ...may time find you :D
    oooh :) lucky people on your christmas list - orangecello sounds delightful!
    My sister is the homemade presents one in the family. She works with felt a lot. She made felt Christmas tree decorations (stuffed with cotton wool) and last year she made a finger puppet that I saw on Etsy. Saved me loads of money on getting it shipped here. I'm not as creative as she is though so I'll leave it to her.
    That is very sweet of her to do that for you... and talented too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I start making things as presents and then use/eat them myself....

But in good intentions, I will make pretty styrofoam baubles! And marshmallow. And maybe some cookies. I'm also looking into making some body scrubs. It could all go horribly wrong!

Actually, last year I tried to make a nightdress for my mother but I was too new at sewing. Might give it another go this year.

Alicat wrote: »
    I start making things as presents and then use/eat them myself....

But in good intentions, I will make pretty styrofoam baubles! And marshmallow. And maybe some cookies. I'm also looking into making some body scrubs. It could all go horribly wrong!

Actually, last year I tried to make a nightdress for my mother but I was too new at sewing. Might give it another go this year.
    ambitious! way to go!....oooh, body scrubs sound intriguing to create - makes me wanna pinterest that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Loads of videos on youtube for making handmade Christmas goodies. They seem to love it in the States. I made a garland for the mantlepiece a couple of years ago, I might try something more ambitious this time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i am going to make quilts for a few people this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I'm doing personalised mugs with the first initial on it, with different things inside - like fluffy socks (females), hot chocolate, chocolate bars, candy cane, coffee for people who don't drink HC.
    for kids, I'm putting sweets, chocolate, HC in their mugs.
    Its actually quite hard to think of things to suit everyone!! :( and for couples like aunts & uncles I'm just giving them a box of chocolates.

Its been hard!! Ill add photos when I've the mugs wrapped up in cellophane and decorated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

I'd love to create some handmade gifts for people but I don't think I'll have the time :c I might make some cards for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I'm not making any homemade presents, I'm in no way creative, the most "homemade" my presents get are hampers that I make up and fill with bits and pieces that I know the recipients will love and use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I make quite a lot of bits & pieces coming up to Christmas. On the presents side I'll often make patchwork cushion covers, quilts, etc. for family in the colours of their rooms. I know some people don't appreciate handmade things but I think a lot do. I also make bowties so some of my friends might be getting some in their stockings this year! Time to get fancy!! Although I did put a tutorial for sewing your own bowties up on my blog and now the mystery is gone! People know how easy it is! :P

As for food, I usually make some flavoured salts and sugars, and sometimes infused gins and vodkas. I also always make chilli jam and have to supply about a million pots around Christmas time! I used to do shortbread and a few other bits but I won't this year because for the first time I'll be with my other half's family over in London so won't have access to my kitchen and larder unfortunately. So it'll be stuff that keeps like jams, sugars and alcohols.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭susanlinda823

I enjoy making cookies and little crafts for the kids :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I have been asked by a friend if I would make her eggnog for her to give to people as gifts, so I guess technically I'm making presents, just not for me to give out.

I must sit down and actually write out the ingredients and do a cost per bottle, though - I don't think she'll actually save any money by doing it.

Oh, actually, I'm not making it but I am putting together a little photo album for my sister in law. We both did the 100 Happy Days Challenge so I'm going to get her 100 pictures printed out into a little booklet for her as a stocking filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Couch Potatoette

Vojera wrote: »
    Oh, actually, I'm not making it but I am putting together a little photo album for my sister in law. We both did the 100 Happy Days Challenge so I'm going to get her 100 pictures printed out into a little booklet for her as a stocking filler.

The photo album sounds like a great idea. My friend had a baby recently and I was thinking about printing some of her instagram photos on shrink plastic (plastic that shrinks to about 1/5th it's size and becomes hard in the oven) and making little fridge magnets out of them.

I've made a pom pom garland and memory wire bracelets now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

OK, I have a batch of Limoncello and Spiced Arancello just ready to be sampled and bottled.
    I think I'm just going to throw this batch into any empty bottles I can find for the moment. If it turns out well, I plan on making up another batch for bottling and giving as gifts to family.
    So, the question is what kind of bottles do you guys use for this, and where do you get them?
    At the moment looks like Homestore + More or Heatons is best bet for kilner bottles, or Hombrewwest online.

Are there cheaper non-branded alternatives easily available somewhere I'm missing.
    Oh, and is 250ml a reasonable size for a pressie, or would you go up to the 550ml?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

I have started to crochet a blanket for my Mum (see attached, I'm not sure how I get them to show up?)

I'm not sure how big it will be. I'll just keep going until I run out of time!
    It's her birthday in March so I will then make her 2 matching cushions (if she likes the blanket!)

Advertisement