Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Late VRT

Options
  • 15-10-2014 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Could anyone tell me what would be the fine for VRTing a car that had been in the country since January?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Payment of VRT due plus late payment surcharge.

(Late payment surcharge = VRT due x number of days x 0.1%)

Over 30 years old vehicle entered state on 1st January 2015, registered today (15 October 2015).

Example: Not registered on time
    A vehicle was registered on 15 October 2014 with a VRT liability of €200 –
    Revenue are satisfied that the vehicle should have been registered in the State on 1 January 2014 – accordingly Revenue are entitled to raise an outstanding charge of VRT for 287 days. An outstanding charge should be raised as follows:

1. VRT paid on registration 15 Oct 2015 €200
    2. Number of days in State unregistered 287 Days
    3. Outstanding charge at 0.1% per day €57.40
    Anyway, you can see from the above the late payment charge on VRT category C is the 20 eurocent a day based on when the Revenue have determined it entered the state (from paperwork submitted, etc.) and the actual registration date in state. If the car was due say €720 VRT, the outstanding charge would be €206.60 (72c per day)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Thanks Macs... Sorry for the hijack but my father passed away and left me an old 83 car on a UK reg. He got it in '06 and it never saw the light of day. I had good intentions of fixing it up but if its going to take about 5k of VRT im going to ring the scrap man and weigh it in.. I will prob only get 150 for it but its better that than having to fork out a kings ransom on VRT !

Another useable classic car lost to red tape

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

If it is a 1983 car how come it will cost 5k VRT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Sell it up north then buy it back.

Yarisbob, they can only charge you VRT from when you got it.

*cough* *cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Yarisbob, what is the car? I may be interested in buying it. if you have the V5, V.R.T. NO problem. Give me a call, 0868677601

Tommyboy, I assume it is over 30 yrs old. I have cleared several cars that have brought in, many months later, and there was no penalty. The officials in the N.C.T, have never made any comment about the length of time they have been in the country. Its E200 and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Thanks Macs... Sorry for the hijack but my father passed away and left me an old 83 car on a UK reg. He got it in '06 and it never saw the light of day. I had good intentions of fixing it up but if its going to take about 5k of VRT im going to ring the scrap man and weigh it in.. I will prob only get 150 for it but its better that than having to fork out a kings ransom on VRT !

Another useable classic car lost to red tape

So sorry to hear about your Dad..

I'm trying to find the link... but if you inherit (legally) car you don't pay VRT.. well just the €50 or so admin fee...
    6. Importation of motor vehicles of a deceased person acquired by inheritance, without payment of Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT)

Relief from Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) will be allowed in respect of a motor vehicle which is the personal property of a deceased person which is brought into the State by, or on behalf of, a person resident in the State or a person or body of persons established in the State and engaged in a non-profit making activity, who either acquired the ownership or the beneficial ownership of such property or is the personal representative resident in the State of the deceased person subject to compliance with the provisions in place at the time.
    Will find link asap....

EDIT: Oh wait.. I think the original owner needed to be non-resident.... I'll find the link and re-read it..

Tazio wrote: »
    EDIT: Oh wait.. I think the original owner needed to be non-resident.... I'll find the link and re-read it..

Here you are Tazio: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91003193&postcount=6 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

Thanks for all the replies. The car is actually a late 2003 Smart for Two convertible. The VRT for this is €340 and all I was worried about was a €500 or so fine, revenue can be unpredictable. From the replies I'm guessing I'll have to pay a roughly €100 fine which I can deal with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Hi All
    Once again sorry for the hijack Tommyboy40 ! The car I have is a 1983 Porsche 924 Lux (What else would it be!!!) . First fegistered on the 02-Dec-1983. My father had the Certificate of Permanent Export which shows as 11-Apr-2006.

Its a bit of a rigamarole but I have a friend in the north. If I get him to register the car in his name & declare it SORN. Then he will "sell" it to me and then I VRT it here...?

I wonder would that work ? Or will I just be brazen and land the car up to the Revenue ? Im no good at being brave like this. The last thing I want is a whole heartache.

Thanks for all your replies lads - Most helpful and informed !

Ive been putting it off too long now and this thread has gotton me up off my a**e to do sommit about it !!

Yarisbob wrote: »
    My father had the Certificate of Permanent Export

Maybe you lost it in a dog-ate-my-homework incident and the DVLA issued another one out. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92219283

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭4JAKE

I only asked the Revenue last week about if a late vrt penalty goes with the car or if it's lost with a new owner... I was told whoever produces the car first for vrt is liable.

#I recently purchased a Merc. 380SE from a man who imported it last April. I got an invoice from him showing the price & the date I purchased it. I took the car and the relevant paperwork, to the NCT centre last Wed. and they cleared it for me. I had to go back on Thur. as it was not on the Revenue system, I them paid my E200, and got my reg. No. I have done this on many times, and there was never any problem. Just make sure that the paperwork is in order, and the Chassis No. is the same as the V 5. I hope this information helps.

TO 2015, Phone me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 To2015

Whats ur number?

If you follow D.D. you would see it on there, its 086 867 7601. Give me a call in the morning after 9 o clock.

Silvera, I don't do messages, can you phone me.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

As the Op I thought I's share my experience. I was a year late VRT'ing my smart but the fine was €30 less than if I'd VRT'd it and paid the tax for the year. First time I ever made money on a car!

Thanks for coming back on this Tommyboy40.

I take it the VRT in this case had bottom out anyway €340 (17% of 2k). The Motor Tax would have been €199 and so the OTR bill if cleared immediately would have been €539.

Working backwards VRT bill €509? Less €340 VRT = €169. Divided by 34c, I would make that somewhere around 497 days? 1 year 4 months-ish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 thegrabber

Hello, I have a similar situation and seeking advice.
    Imported car from NI last year Feb. Attempted to register in March last year and cancelled it. It was from a private seller.
    There was some issue with the engine and took time to fix that. The seller took it back to NI. Thats why it was off road and garaged. Now I want to pay VRT and put Irish plate on that car. When I rang NCTS they mentioned there was a cancellation last year and it seems the car was imported last year. They asking evidence of shipping back to NI. How could I prove that. The V5C has sales date of this month and a sale letter stating it was sold on March 2019 (written in plain paper).
    In that case, should I pay a penalty for late registration? Please advise

Advertisement