Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Does anyone know what movie this is?
    A man in a bar bathroom notices a man stuff some paper towel down his pants, giving himself a bit of a bulge. The man takes the idea and runs with it, next you see him walk out of the bathroom with like a 10 foot bulge in his pants, knocking over everything in his path.

Thanks for your help

There's a Saturday Night Live sketch that shows Jim Belushi doing that with paper towels with Bruce Springsteen's Cover Me in the background. Presume it's from 1984.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Hi everyone,

So is this is a recent movie, I actually saw the trailer on youtube, I just can't for the life of me think of the name of the film. It's a horror/psychological thriller about a woman who convinces the guy she's seeing to go off for a weekend from the big city they live in to visit her family in a remote part of the country to visit her parents. Basically she traps him there with a creepy old couple and there may have been kids there too, its vague enough but the movie is no more than two years old, no hugely famous actors in it so may have been indie or arthouse type horror. Any help appreciated!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Swedish or Norwegian movie that came out round about 1996/97 and was pretty acclaimed at the time.It was about a postman whos stalking a woman who he then saves from a suicide attempt and they get mixed up with gangsters who are after her for some reason.Can't think what it was called,one scene that sticks in my head is the postman is delivering mail to a rundown flat complex and a couple of junkies try to mug him.One of them swings a plank with nails sticking out of it at him but misses and hits his buddy who is then running around with it stuck to his head.

Swedish or Norwegian movie that came out round about 1996/97 and was pretty acclaimed at the time.It was about a postman whos stalking a woman who he then saves from a suicide attempt and they get mixed up with gangsters who are after her for some reason.Can't think what it was called,one scene that sticks in my head is the postman is delivering mail to a rundown flat complex and a couple of junkies try to mug him.One of them swings a plank with nails sticking out of it at him but misses and hits his buddy who is then running around with it stuck to his head.
    Sounds a bit like Junk Mail

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Sounds a bit like Junk Mail

Yes,thats the one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Cant remember the name of a film.
    There's a comedy movie with Ben Stiller i think? visiting a psychiatrist where he(psychiatrist ) even pops out for lunch while the patient is chatting away on the couch, He didnt even notice he was gone :D

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Cant remember the name of a film.
    There's a comedy movie with Ben Stiller i think? visiting a psychiatrist where he(psychiatrist ) even pops out for lunch while the patient is chatting away on the couch, He didnt even notice he was gone :D

Fairly sure that is a scene from "There's something about Mary"
    I will try and see if it is on youtube.

edit:
    Couldn't find a clip but here is a script extract.
    INT. PSYCHIATRIST'S OFFICE - PRESENT DAY

Ted, now in his 30's, lays on his therapist's couch.

TED
    ...Anyway, school ended a few days later
    and that July her father got transferred to
    Florida.

The CAMERA PANS up to reveal that the CHAIR BEHIND HIM IS EMPTY.
    Ted has been telling all this to no one.

TED (cont'd)
    It took me half the summer to pay off all
    those bets.
    (sighs)
    I never did see Mary again. That was about
    twelve years ago.

Just then the door quietly opens and Ted's PSYCHIATRIST tip-toes
    back into the room and takes his seat. (He has a dab of mustard on
    his chin and has forgotten about the cloth napkin tucked into his
    collar.)

PSYCHIATRIST
    Uh-huh. Interesting.

The Psychiatrist notices the napkin and quickly wipes his chin,
    then tosses it aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

That's the one.
    Thanks wextext and Hallo Dare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Fairly sure that is a scene from "There's something about Mary"
    I will try and see if it is on youtube.

edit:
    Couldn't find a clip but here is a script extract.

Yeah thats from ...Mary, all right.Been a few years since I saw it last but I'm sure its the opening scene or very early on at least.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Bit of a weird one which I very vaguely remember.

It's a horror and I remember watching it on Zone Horror/Horror Channel.

A group of American/Canadian students go to this weird club and they get killed off one by one by this madman and his henchmen.

It's something like that but I remember one scene where the henchmen turn on the main guy and he's tied to a chair and this box is put over his head and the twist it round and round until....

Just came to my head today so maybe someone knows it?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

Unfortunately no-one was able to identify my previous movie, but maybe I'll have more luck with this one:

I'm guessing it was from the 80s, but I could be a little bit out with that. It's basically a similar movie to Titan AE (i.e. animation, people in space, etc.) What I remember about it is that there was a boy and a girl at the beginning. I'm not sure if they were brother and sister or just really good childhood friends. Anyway, you are led to believe that one of them has died as the story follows the other one. However, the second one does show up later in the movie and it's a very moving scene when they see each other again.

Could've been a Studio Ghibli movie, but again, not sure.

I know that's not much to go on, but maybe someone will recognise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm trying to remember a movie that I saw in the 80s so either 70s or 80s about a punk/rock lady who rises to fame and then starts taking drugs
    I remember red lighting and I thought it was toyah Wilcox but it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Tigger wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember a movie that I saw in the 80s so either 70s or 80s about a punk/rock lady who rises to fame and then starts taking drugs

Hazel O'Connor, Breaking Glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Tigger wrote: »

And the one with Toyah was "Jubilee"

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    And the one with Toyah was "Jubilee"

yeah that was the one it wasnt
    :)

brilliant, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

There's a scene set in a prison and a prison guard forces a prisoner to clean/eat faeces off of his shoe by eating it. Probably made in the 1990's.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 eddiervp20

Im wondering can amyone help me with the name of a movie I watched many years ago.

Its set in england and the plot is that some guy who is just your average joe accidently bumps into a criminal who is running from the police and both fall over and the criminal gets caught.

After the criminal gets released he becomes paranoid as he feels the crook will come after him as he thinks he is partially at fault for him getting caught.

Then theres a scene when he is in the pub,the criminal walks into the same pub so he leaves and starts walking up the street.
    He hears footsteps behind him and the a hand grabs his shoulder so he panicks and pulls some sort of bar or blunt object from his jacket and hits the guy who grabbed him who turns out to be a police man.

He is then sent to jail where he becomes a hardened criminal.

Its been years since I saw it so thats all I remember.

If anyone knows the name could you please let me know.

eddiervp20 wrote: »
    Im wondering can amyone help me with the name of a movie I watched many years ago.

Its set in england and the plot is that some guy who is just your average joe accidently bumps into a criminal who is running from the police and both fall over and the criminal gets caught.

After the criminal gets released he becomes paranoid as he feels the crook will come after him as he thinks he is partially at fault for him getting caught.

Then theres a scene when he is in the pub,the criminal walks into the same pub so he leaves and starts walking up the street.
    He hears footsteps behind him and the a hand grabs his shoulder so he panicks and pulls some sort of bar or blunt object from his jacket and hits the guy who grabbed him who turns out to be a police man.

He is then sent to jail where he becomes a hardened criminal.

Its been years since I saw it so thats all I remember.

If anyone knows the name could you please let me know.

I'm almost certain that its Going Off Big Time

• Advertisement

Eastern European movie,possibly Russian from maybe the late 70s or 80s.Story centered around these teenage lads who were out in a camp in the wild,I think they were juvenile offenders but the setting wasn't the gulag or harsh or anything.They were doing work and stuff I presume as part of their rehabilitation and there was an adult supervisor,There was a scene where two of the young lads were doing a work detail involving timber logs,maybe moving them and they spot a young couple by a river,she is wearing skimpy clothing and the boyfriend whos in swimming togs is taking saucy pictures of her.The two thugs beat up the boyfriend and one of them forces him to carry the logs that they were working on.The other guy is forcing the girl to kiss him and saying (via subtitles) to touch him.I think that scene ended there.The next bit was the adult supervisor really angry in a frenzy banging a bell to summon the inmates and when theyre gathered he shouts and berates them.The film ends with close ups of all the young guys singing,maybe the National anthem or some patriotic song.Does anyone know what this film is?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ageyev wrote: »
    There's a scene set in a prison and a prison guard forces a prisoner to clean/eat faeces off of his shoe by eating it. Probably made in the 1990's.

I have a vague recollection of this happening in a concentration camp movie, but can;t help with the name. Possibly Escape from Sobibor?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I have a vague recollection of this happening in a concentration camp movie, but can;t help with the name. Possibly Escape from Sobibor?

Not sure it's that one. I thought there was maybe some racial element to it which made me think it was Shawshank.

Was there anything like this in Sleepers? I recall watching bits of that on TV in the late 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ageyev wrote: »
    Not sure it's that one. I thought there was maybe some racial element to it which made me think it was Shawshank.

Was there anything like this in Sleepers? I recall watching bits of that on TV in the late 90's

You could be on to it there - there's a scene in the book where the guard steps on a sandwich and foces one of the teenages to eat it off his shoe. Not sure about the movie though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 cynicaljam

I have been onto TV-Tropes forums looking for this and I can't get a sniff.
    The only vague description I can give is a kid died and he gets buried in a cemetery and he resurrects as a zombie and it was made before Life After Beth but follows a similar premise and story, in fact I'd go so far as to say Life After Beth is a modern telling of this particular film.

So the teenager is now a zombie and as he leaves the cemetery he's told by the grounds-keeper "the dead shouldn't be getting up" (I'm paraphrasing to be honest, seen this when I was twelve.)

In a few scenes this teenager has erotic fantasies of "eating" his 'crush' and even goes so far as to day-dream of her literally begging to be eaten. Zombie euphemisms were plaguing this movie as far as I could remember.

One particular scene I remember very well is that he was having an existential crisis whilst being a zombie and a few moments later he has this guy tied to a chair who actually resembles the truck-stop guy from Futurama quite a bit.

He eventually eats this man and leaves nothing but the head. I don't think they showed the entire thing though. I'm not making this up, this was literally a film on either RTÉ or TV3 at some point, it was aired during Halloween and it was a teen kind of film.

It wasn't Irish by any means though, definitely an american film.

• Site Banned Posts: 25 Johnny Bubble

darkdubh wrote: »
    Eastern European movie,possibly Russian from maybe the late 70s or 80s.Story centered around these teenage lads who were out in a camp in the wild,I think they were juvenile offenders but the setting wasn't the gulag or harsh or anything.They were doing work and stuff I presume as part of their rehabilitation and there was an adult supervisor,There was a scene where two of the young lads were doing a work detail involving timber logs,maybe moving them and they spot a young couple by a river,she is wearing skimpy clothing and the boyfriend whos in swimming togs is taking saucy pictures of her.The two thugs beat up the boyfriend and one of them forces him to carry the logs that they were working on.The other guy is forcing the girl to kiss him and saying (via subtitles) to touch him.I think that scene ended there.The next bit was the adult supervisor really angry in a frenzy banging a bell to summon the inmates and when theyre gathered he shouts and berates them.The film ends with close ups of all the young guys singing,maybe the National anthem or some patriotic song.Does anyone know what this film is?

Angelski Sabinovitch

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

cynicaljam wrote: »
    I have been onto TV-Tropes forums looking for this and I can't get a sniff.
    The only vague description I can give is a kid died and he gets buried in a cemetery and he resurrects as a zombie and it was made before Life After Beth but follows a similar premise and story, in fact I'd go so far as to say Life After Beth is a modern telling of this particular film.

So the teenager is now a zombie and as he leaves the cemetery he's told by the grounds-keeper "the dead shouldn't be getting up" (I'm paraphrasing to be honest, seen this when I was twelve.)

In a few scenes this teenager has erotic fantasies of "eating" his 'crush' and even goes so far as to day-dream of her literally begging to be eaten. Zombie euphemisms were plaguing this movie as far as I could remember.

One particular scene I remember very well is that he was having an existential crisis whilst being a zombie and a few moments later he has this guy tied to a chair who actually resembles the truck-stop guy from Futurama quite a bit.

He eventually eats this man and leaves nothing but the head. I don't think they showed the entire thing though. I'm not making this up, this was literally a film on either RTÉ or TV3 at some point, it was aired during Halloween and it was a teen kind of film.

It wasn't Irish by any means though, definitely an american film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Was_a_Teenage_Zombie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Boyfriend%27s_Back_%281993_film%29

Angelski Sabinovitch

Was wondering why googling that brings nothing up then noticed yer mans banned.Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Hi guys. This popped into my head listening to some Beastie Boys
    Film set in New York about youngish guys ages ~ 18 to 23. I think they were Italian heritage.

Couple of scenes I think were in the film:
    - They stage a fake fight amongst themselves on the subway.
    - I think at the end of the film guy wakes up after sleeping/passing out and walks away.

Film was from late 80s / early 90s.

any ideas?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭SameDiff

Does anyone know a film which features a massive flood at the end?

Yes hilarious, not Noah or Evan Almighty. This was set in a typical American suburb.

It's been driving me demented for about five years now.

I'm convinced it's got the word "happiness" in the title, or something like that.

Advertisement