Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Offseason 2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

No chance we're giving up on Waiters, especially considering how much LeBron likes him. Looking through our roster, it's tough to see who we could give up
    Yeah I dont see them giving up Waiters either, but he was the only player that made sense for both teams, taking that Indiana could bomb this year, why not bomb with a young talent and Cleveland need someone inside. Its sort of it makes sense in a not going to happen sort of way :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

astonaidan wrote: »
    Honestly He would be perfect for them, Le Bron would keep him focused. Dont see what Cleveland would offer for him though, maybe Waiters

No chance. New coach David Blatt is a very offensive minded coach. He is highly likely to play Love at centre and LeBron at 4, for spacing reasons. Hibbert's slow, plodding style would fly in the face of Blatt's favoured motion offense sets. From what we know about the guys personality, they are better off without him. It would be a terrible fit imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

buyer95 wrote: »
    No chance. New coach David Blatt is a very offensive minded coach. He is highly likely to play Love at centre and LeBron at 4, for spacing reasons. Hibbert's slow, plodding style would fly in the face of Blatt's favoured motion offense sets. From what we know about the guys personality, they are better off without him. It would be a terrible fit imo.

Will Varejoa not start as centre with Love in the 4 spot, LBJ in the 3 spot and Waiters and Irving fillnig the backcourt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Yeah, can't see Lebron playing at the 4 that much, especially considering his weight loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PerfectScore

I'm interested in seeing Tristan Thompson and how they're gonna play him.

TT's up for an extension and Varejao's gonna be injured at least 20 games like usual. Right now they're not deep up front with Love being the other guy.

Any predictions on how many minutes he'll play?

• Advertisement

Missed this story last weekend, but just knocked across it there. Joe Johnson threw Jason Kidd under the bus at the Nets media day. He was asked a question about Kidd's practices this prompted a chuckle from iso-Joe and the reply of “With Jason Kidd, he — I mean, we — practiced, but, not really.”

Doesn't shine Kidd in a very positive light, I thought he actually did a good job in weathering the rocky start last year and bounced back to secure the 6th seed. However his attempted power grab in Brooklyn was at best ill-conceived and at worst shockingly arrogant. It's too early into his coaching career to say for sure, but if Johnson is to be believed, Bucks fans could be in for a rocky year...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭nzamcdza

25 days to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Seems the NBA have reached agreement with Turner and ESPN regarding the rights to the NBA
    TURNER - Turner Sports will continue to manage NBA Digital, the league’s robust multimedia portfolio including NBA TV, NBA.com, NBA Mobile, NBA LEAGUE PASS, WNBA.com and NBADLeague.com. Turner will have enhanced digital rights to NBA content for Bleacher Report, its top-rated Team Stream app, and the brand’s social media handles.

Effective with the start of the 2016-17 NBA regular season and extending through the 2024-25 campaign, TNT will have the following rights:
    • The network will be the home of NBA Opening Night;
    • Exclusive Thursday Night regular season doubleheaders;
    • TNT’s additional 12 games will air over the second half of the season on another night of the week than the network’s traditional Thursday Night doubleheaders;
    • Exclusive coverage of NBA All-Star Weekend signature events including NBA All-Star Saturday Night and the NBA All-Star Game;
    • More NBA Playoff games than any other network. TNT’s coverage of the NBA Playoffs will include live first round coverage, exclusive second round game telecasts and one Conference Finals (alternating between the Eastern and Western Conference each year).
    ESPN -
    • ABC will continue to be the exclusive broadcast home of The Finals;
    • The NBA post-season begins and concludes on ESPN networks, as ESPN and ABC combine for up to 44 NBA post-season games, including the Conference Finals;
    • ESPN and ABC will continue with a significant television presence for NBA Christmas Day, the NBA’s season-opening week and NBA All-Star festivities such as the Celebrity All-Star Game;
    • Season-long prime time games Wednesdays and Fridays on ESPN and Sundays on ESPN and ABC;
    • Extensive weekly studio programming on ESPN;
    • ESPN will continue to be the exclusive home to the NBA Draft, NBA Draft Combine and NBA Draft Lottery.
    • Increased team appearances to showcase the most popular teams and most compelling matchups more times throughout the season;
    • As part of the new agreement, ESPN will substantially increase its NBA-focused programming with 750 new hours of NBA content on linear and digital platforms, establishing a significant year-round presence for the NBA on ESPN;
    • 10 additional regular-season games for ESPN or ABC bringing the regular season total to 100;

https://pressroom.turner.com/us/turner-sports/nba-digital/turner-broadcasting-and-national-basketball-association-reach-nine-year#.VDKcVGddWSp

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/10/165140/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

The money jump is pretty dramatic, TV renenue tripling from $930m/year to $2.67bn/year.

3 consequences of the NBA's enormous new TV deal

Seems like player salaries will jump about 50% when it kicks in in 2 years. Will probably lead to some anomalies between contracts under the old deal and those under the new one.

Bulls pre-season starts tonight, interested to see the new faces...Gasol, Mirotic, McDermott, and of course Rose's return to the court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

padraig_f wrote: »
    Bulls pre-season starts tonight, interested to see the new faces...Gasol, Mirotic, McDermott, and of course Rose's return to the court.

Feels like that off-season went so quickly. Most likely because the Premier League and NFL has been back in the meantime, but I found it flew past.

Paully D wrote: »
    Feels like that off-season went so quickly. Most likely because the Premier League and NFL has been back in the meantime, but I found it flew past.

Has gone quick alright, season probably felt extended a bit with the free-agency stuff.

Pre-season impressions.

- Enjoyed the player intros..."From Chicago..."

- Gasol is a major upgrade on Boozer. Not really known for his defense, but think his size alone will make him a better defender than Boozer. Great passer, Jo is a good passing big man; Gasol is probably better. Had a couple of 'wow' passes...one where he got a defensive rebound and hit Rose running to mid-court on a fast-break. Better post player than Boozer, will be a feature of the offense I think, him playing in the mid-post and either taking his man on, or setting up someone else by passing out it.

- Kobe will not be happy downgrading in the other direction (the Lakers claimed Boozer off waivers).

- Rose looked good, drove to the rim, hit his first 3. Maybe a touch more controlled style of game than before, but 11 points in 14 mins.

- McDermott is an instant fan-favourite, got a big ovation off the bench. They ran him off screens Ray Allen-style. His release is super-quick and his shot looked good, made 2-4, including a 3. Didn't look out of place defensively. Would like to see him giving the starting 2-guard job, think it'd be a good match with Butler, potential elite shooter paired with elite defender. But question is, will Thibs start a rookie?

- Mirotic looked a bit out of sync in his early stint, but came to life in the 4th quarter. Admittedly against a weaker lineup, but really showed some skills. Hit 3-5 from 3, and these weren't spot-ups, they were shots off the dribble. Good ball handler for his size, took guys on off the dribble. I don't really want to make a comparison with Dirk, because he's a future hall-of-famer, but you can see where that comparison is coming from. Not many big guys with that skill-set to put the ball on the floor and shoot from range. Might be a bit of adjustment for Mirotic, made some mistakes defensively, but you can see the skills are there.

- Team is deep, think they could torch opposing bench units. I was wondering is the bench this year is as good as the starting team last year, say: Brooks, Hinrich, Dunleavy, Mirotic, Taj. Not far off.

- Great pre-season debut overall. Probably didn't have one player that you'd get excited about offensively last year. They've added four: Rose, Gasol, McDermott, Mirotic. Think it will be a fun team to watch.

Mirotic highlights:

Another thing I liked, the passion with him punching his chest. With starters long out by the 4th quarter, atmosphere had dropped a bit, but crowd responded to this and got back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mirotic highlights:

Another thing I liked, the passion with him punching his chest. With starters long out by the 4th quarter, atmosphere had dropped a bit, but crowd responded to this and got back into it.

Looked good alright from a shooting perspective and getting to the hole in 1 on 1 situations.

He definitely carried the ball twice though on the pull up 3, and I'm pretty sure he travelled on the missed lay up too - but I only watched the clip once so not 100% sure on the latter - both of which are surprising for a European grad. But then again, its the NBA and there's no such thing as a travel…….:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

-- Frank Vogel signed a multiyear contract to continue on as the Pacers coach
    "The message to my team is that we have to bring a high level of competitiveness every night. We have to bring it every night," Vogel said last week during the Pacers' media day. "We have enough talent here to be competitive and compete with the best."

-- Four Wizards suspended 1 regular-season game

Washington Wizards players DeJuan Blair, Nene, Daniel Orton and Xavier Silas were each suspended for one regular-season game by the NBA on Wednesday for leaving the bench area during an altercation between Paul Pierce and Chicago's Joakim Noah.
    Noah was fined $15,000 for initiating the altercation in an exhibition game Monday night in Chicago by pushing Pierce in the chest, and Pierce was fined $15,000 for hitting Noah in the forehead with his left index finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Hope the celtics put up a better showing this season than last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Hope the celtics put up a better showing this season than last season.

they look a better team to be fair with olnyk and sullinger looking very well and they could have the best back court defence in the league but they will have zero rim protection and they still need more scoring there probably better off getting a high draft pick again unfortunately as they are nowhere near a championship team yet

nerd69 wrote: »
    they look a better team to be fair with olnyk and sullinger looking very well and they could have the best back court defence in the league but they will have zero rim protection and they still need more scoring there probably better off getting a high draft pick against unfortunately as they are nowhere near a championship team yet

So nerd which team do you follow in the nba ? I need to talk to you about that nfl team we support in the nfl forum tomorrow.

So nerd which team do you follow in the nba ? I need to talk to you about that nfl team we support in the nfl forum tomorrow.

:D same as yourself we seem to have similar tastes in franchises. id be far more into my nfl than nba thought to be fair i wouldn't know half as much about basketball as some of the rest of ye.

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    :D same as yourself we seem to have similar tastes in franchises. id be far more into my nfl than nba thought to be fair i wouldn't know half as much about basketball as some of the rest of ye.

Christ we can't really be called glory hunters. Basketball is actually the sport I knew most about growing up. My family were involved in the irish basketball league so for that reason I love basketball.

Christ we can't really be called glory hunters. Basketball is actually the sport I knew most about growing up. My family were involved in the irish basketball league so for that reason I love basketball.

at least the celtics have there history shure the iggles will have there super bowl (first of many) in the next few years anyway under his chipness

how do you feel about the celtics this year yourself

PAAAAAAAUUUUUUU! I love the new balance he brings to the offense, think it will help Derrick a lot by not having to carry so much of the offensive weight. Pau's stat line last night in 30 mins: 20 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 assists.

The Bulls will be good this year. The starting 5 with McDermott in looked great (not sure he still makes the starting 5 because he did make some rookie mistakes). The fans will want him, not sure Thibs plays him. But look at this starting 5:

Rose - elite point-guard
    McDermott - elite shooter (I'm projecting a bit, but potentially)
    Butler - elite wing defender, can guard 2 or 3.
    Gasol - elite post player & big-man passer.
    Noah - defensive player of the year.

That's a nice starting 5.

I think Gasol chose wisely in picking the Bulls in terms of how he fits with Noah. They seem to complement each other very well on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

PAAAAAAAUUUUUUU! I love the new balance he brings to the offense, think it will help Derrick a lot by not having to carry so much of the offensive weight. Pau's stat line last night in 30 mins: 20 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 assists.

The Bulls will be good this year. The starting 5 with McDermott in looked great (not sure he still makes the starting 5 because he did make some rookie mistakes). The fans will want him, not sure Thibs plays him. But look at this starting 5:

Rose - elite point-guard
    McDermott - elite shooter (I'm projecting a bit, but potentially)
    Butler - elite wing defender, can guard 2 or 3.
    Gasol - elite post player & big-man passer.
    Noah - defensive player of the year.

That's a nice starting 5.

I think Gasol chose wisely in picking the Bulls in terms of how he fits with Noah. They seem to complement each other very well on the floor.

Completely agree but I do fear Thibs will have him run into the ground by the time playoffs come around. Thibs improved a bit on that last year, but it was still a problem.

Kevin Durant out for 6-8 weeks with a Jones fracture (fracture in his foot)

http://gfycat.com/PointlessMasculineDrafthorse

this is the kind of play that makes you love a player

2 WEEKS TO GO!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Amare has been bathing in red wine to help his body. Possibly the most bizarre remedy I've hear about.

Anyways, only 11 days to go! I'll start a few threads for the regular season in the next few days.

Personally I'm still weighting up the pros and cons of purchasing league pass.

Amare has been bathing in red wine to help his body. Possibly the most bizarre remedy I've hear about.

Anyways, only 11 days to go! I'll start a few threads for the regular season in the next few days.

Personally I'm still weighting up the pros and cons of purchasing league pass.

Im in the same boat, I think I might just stick with BT Sport, they show 6 or 7 of the best games ever week anyway. Not sure though, atleast we have the free trial looming to help us make up our minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Haven't bought it myself yet but got it the last two years and it's great. Can only reccomend it myself. Saying that if anyone has any discount codes for it? I wouldnt mind one. Or has anyone ever bought it using a proxy getting a cheaper price using a different countries proxy? Could someone talk me through it, theres savings to be made there aswell I beleive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement