Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know Your Elves - #7 Gidget

Options
  • 10-10-2014 7:33am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Good morning everyone. Here we are 10th of October the mornings and evenings are getting darker and my God it's getting cold! We are getting one step closer!

So we know the drill by now. Get your questions in for Gidget between now and Thursday. I'll kick it off.

1) what brought you to boards christmas forum?
    2) favourite Christmas movie and song.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

If money was no object what would be the most outrageously themed Christmas Dinner you would have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

So we know the drill by now. Get your questions in for Gidget between now and Thursday. I'll kick it off.

1) what brought you to boards christmas forum?
    2) favourite Christmas movie and song.

I discovered the Christmas forum back in 2012 as I had spotted a post about Christmas movies. Such a Christmas fan that I am, I was quite relieved to discover that there are more just like me around the country & that I can chat with like minded fans all year round about everything & anything Christmassy. Have loved it ever since.

Oh I've 3 favourite movies but my absolute favourite Christmas movie off all time is Santa Claus the Movie, ever since I was a child I've loved it. That movie was everything I could ever picture Santa's life to be & even answered some of those questions such as how the reindeer flew, how he got into all the houses etc. Such a magical movie that to this day I watch it every Christmas Eve & if I ever have kids or nieces/nephews I'll introduce it to them too. Following that for the comedic element it's got to be National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation & lastly Home Alone 1 & 2

My favourite song was another childhood memory I remember was Paul McCartney's "We all stand together" this had originally been released in June 1983 but it was re-released in December 1984. So this was re-released when I was 4. Lovely song & music video I always remembered it. Also love Joy to the World as well.

If money was no object what would be the most outrageously themed Christmas Dinner you would have?

So if money was no object, I'd hire out a big castle somewhere in Ireland & get both sides of my family together for a huge Christmas dinner. I'd have extra long tables at the side with every Christmas food, drink & of course deserts & goodies, for everyone to freely pick whatever they liked & to eat as much as they liked. Not sure if would be a themed but to have the kind of money to get a venue & have all my nearest & dearest together to enjoy a huge meal like that, to me that would be the ultimate Christmas Dinner I would love.

gidget wrote: »
    So if money was no object, I'd hire out a big castle somewhere in Ireland & get both sides of my family together for a huge Christmas dinner. I'd have extra long tables at the side with every Christmas food, drink & of course deserts & goodies, for everyone to freely pick whatever they liked & to eat as much as they liked. Not sure if would be a themed but to have the kind of money to get a venue & have all my nearest & dearest together to enjoy a huge meal like that, to me that would be the ultimate Christmas Dinner I would love.

Wow!!!! Great answer! :)can we all come?

Just have to keep on praying for that Euromillions win to achieve such a dinner Washiskin! Absolutely ya's could come sure there'll be plenty of room I'm sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hi Gidget,

Real or artificial tree?

Do you color coordinate your Christmas tree decorations or just go mad with the tinsel?

Any nice Christmas traditions

Real or artificial tree?

Do you color coordinate your Christmas tree decorations or just go mad with the tinsel?

Any nice Christmas traditions

Well we've been using an artificial tree for going on 16 years now in my house, but I would much rather a real one, I just love the real trees & I love the Christmas tree smell especially.

I go mad with tinsel & babbles all over the tree, am thinking last years one's saw their last Christmas though, so am hoping to get some new ones this year, so I'll try for a neat colour coordinated look :)

As for traditions as I stated in the movie question, I never go through Christmas Eve without watching Santa Claus the Movie, that will always be on my to do list until the day I die, would usually light a candle at the stroke of midnight & then light it again when I get up & at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve, I make a wish for the new year ahead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hiya Gidget!

What do you prefer more at Christmas? Small get together with your nearest and dearest or a large gathering with all the family?

In your house, when does the tree usually come out?

What has to happen for it to now be Christmas time for you? Would it be the ads, the dark evenings, cold weather etc.

Have you any Christmas traditions?

Finally, describe your typical Christmas Eve/Day from start to finish.

Cheers :)

What do you prefer more at Christmas? Small get together with your nearest and dearest or a large gathering with all the family?

In your house, when does the tree usually come out?

What has to happen for it to now be Christmas time for you? Would it be the ads, the dark evenings, cold weather etc.

Have you any Christmas traditions?

Finally, describe your typical Christmas Eve/Day from start to finish

I love a large gathering with all the family, we always descend on my nana's for dinner & my aunt will pop in with her gang. I love that kind of atmosphere. It's the one day of the year when I get to see & speak to everyone in person away from a computer or phone. I have other relatives who live abroad who I'd love to see come home for an even bigger gathering. There's nothing like sitting around the table after dinner with a cuppa & goodies having a good ol chat with everyone. I cherish those moments more now as I've only one nana left, & with the others gone now who I have some great Christmas memories with, I like to make the most of time I have left with her while she's still around, i'll always cherish those moments, especially years from now i'll always remember them & the time i got to spend with everyone while they were alive & kicking & no better time than my favourite time of the year too.

The tree usually gets put up on the 1st December

There's always signs throughout the year that make me feel Christmassy, whether it be an advert or one of the shopping channels advertising DIY crafts or products to prepare for Christmas. To me I think the first sighting of the Coca Cola advert is the first sign that it's really getting closer!!!

The Christmas traditions, I already posted in the previous answer!!!

On Christmas Eve, I'm up early enough, head to the hairdressers & get the hair done, get some flowers to put on the family graves which I do Chrismas Day & grab a few last minute goodies. Would mostly have gotten the bulk of them in the months/weeks leading up to Christmas anyways. Wrap everyones presents & place them under the tree, watch some Christmas tv, then in the evening after dinner, jump into my Christmas pj's & slippers or heavy socks,watch Santa Claus the movie with a big cup of hot chocolate & some goodies & some more movies. Light the Christmas candle at midnight & off the bed.

On Christmas Day am usually up about 9.30, light the candle again, throw on some warm clothes & head over to mass with my mam. my dad will usually walk my dog for me while I'm out with my mam. come home & exchange presents with my parents & brother & give the dog his little present, usually a new teddy & one of those Christmas stockings for dogs. Get dressed in my new Christmas clothes. At about 12 then we'll hop in the car & head over the graveyard & visit the family graves & put the flowers & wreaths on them. Something I always do is bring two candles with me to light and place on the graves as a Christmas momento to pay tribute to my family members who I wish were still here. After the grave, we'll head over to my nana's who does the dinner & exchange gifts with her. Sit down to dinner with her about 2.30. My aunt & her gang usually arrive in about 3 as they eat their dinner at her home but they'll save the afters & goodies for my nanas, when we'll sit around chatting for a few hours. Head home & hop back into the pj's, have turkey sandwiches for tea, & spend the rest of the evening & night watch telly & stuffing myself with more goodies & a few glasses of West Coast Cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Gidget great answers

Would you like a white Christmas?
    Do you wear Christmas jumpers?
    Do you listen to Christmas fm?

Would you like a white Christmas?
    Do you wear Christmas jumpers?
    Do you listen to Christmas fm?

I love a white Christmas, I remember the white Christmas we had a few years ago & it was just bliss. Wish we got more of them. I do envy them over in the States getting it every year.

No I haven't worn one yet, but never say never.

I do of course listen to Christmas FM. Last year was even better as the job I was working in at the time, I used to walk in every morning which took about 40 minutes. So off I'd head in the cold, all bundled up in the pitch black with my phone blasting out songs from Christmas FM in my ears. It certainly quickened the pace & cheered me up for the day ahead.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Would you ever spend Christmas abroad?

Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? If not, when do you expect to start?

If you could zap one awful Christmas song out of existence, which would you choose?

Would you ever spend Christmas abroad?

Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? If not, when do you expect to start?

If you could zap one awful Christmas song out of existence, which would you choose?

I wouldn't like to celebrate Christmas Eve/Day abroad no, I love spending it with the family too much & I certainly wouldn't like to celebrate it in a hotter climate, it just wouldn't feel the same with it, however, I wouldn't say no to spending New Years Eve in New York some time, just for the atmosphere alone anyways.

No I haven't started the shopping yet, as am trying to get a few bob together at the moment first, but I've have been eyeing up stuff to take note of what i'll be aiming for this year.

I haven't really got much songs that I'd like to get rid of they pretty much bring out the whole Christmas vibe more when you can listen to them all the time.

I've actually thought of another song from above that I'd class as a favourite & that would be "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree"

Do you still get a Selection Box as a gift?

What's your favourite Selection Box?

Do you still get a Selection Box as a gift?

What's your favourite Selection Box?

I get myself a small Cadbury's one alright, haven't gotten one as a gift for a good few years now, I say small because I do usually buy in tins of chocolates; Roses, Quality Street, Celebrations & Hero's to see me through Christmas. Did so well with last year's haul that I still had unopened tins of chocolates right up to March of this year :D

Thanks for all the great questions this week :)

Advertisement