Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know Your Elves #6 - SarahLil

• 03-10-2014 9:30am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Good morning and Happy Friday one and all!
    Another week down and another week closer!!

So this thread will be active for about a week giving you plenty of time to drop in and ask any questions you may have for SarahLil.

I'll kick it off with some standard questions,

1) What is your favourite thing about Christmas?
    2) What brought you to the Christmas Forum on boards?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What would you consider the perfect Christmas Day weather?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Hi Sarah,

Wow we're flying through these, week 6 already!

What do you like most about Christmas? The atmosphere, the people, the food, the weather etc.

What needs to happen for you to be able to go... Right it's now Christmas time! For a lot of people it's the Christmas ads or maybe the Christmas decorations getting put up?

What way do you decorate your house? Are you the type to just do the tree and little bits or do you go all out?

Finally, describe in little or as much detail as you want your Christmas Eve/Day.

Can't wait to hear your answers!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Loughc wrote: »
    Good morning and Happy Friday one and all!
    Another week down and another week closer!!

So this thread will be active for about a week giving you plenty of time to drop in and ask any questions you may have for SarahLil.

I'll kick it off with some standard questions,

1) What is your favourite thing about Christmas?
    2) What brought you to the Christmas Forum on boards?

thanks for kicking things off Loughc, Happy Friday how many shopping weekends left folks eeekkk:)

1) My favourite thing about Christmas, I cant pick!! I love everything about Christmas, Christmas Shopping, decorating the tree, shopping for decorations, being with family and friends, looking at other peoples houses decorated while going up your street or while you are out and about

2) I came across the Christmas Forum by pure accident, I was on boards for advice and tips or reviews, its brilliant the Christmas Forum,

What would you consider the perfect Christmas Day weather?

Getting up to a frosty crisp morning, white roof tops as you open your blinds

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

What is your favourite Christmas song? (If it is too difficult to pick just one, maybe your favourite from each category e.g. favourite carol, favourite pop song etc)

Real tree or artificial tree?

What is your earliest Christmas memory?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Is there a particular film/films you just have to re-watch every Christmas?

Guys having trouble posting I have a long post, keep getting an error message that I haven't entered enough text can anyone help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Have you quoted the questions and only posted within the quotes?
    If you do that, it thinks you haven't entered any text and you just add a full stop or something at the very end after the [/quote].

Hi Sarah,

Wow we're flying through these, week 6 already!

What do you like most about Christmas? The atmosphere, the people, the food, the weather etc.

I love Christmas shopping, decorating the tree although I dislike putting fairy lights on that's my aunts job I haven't got the patience for them! I love the atmosphere, getting together with family and presents, I get abit teary sometimes throughout the season thinking of others who have no one at Christmas time, I always give a donation to homeless at Christmas time, barnardos and childline also.

What needs to happen for you to be able to go... Right it's now Christmas time! For a lot of people it's the Christmas ads or maybe the Christmas decorations getting put up? The 1st December is enough for me but when I see the Guinness Ad it defiantly says Christmas is here.

What way do you decorate your house? Are you the type to just do the tree and little bits or do you go all out? I am in charge of the tree in my mam & aunts home over the years they are saying at this stage Sarah no more! Love the tree with lights, Santa and Snowman by the fire,various snow globes, bits all throughout the house, this year I will have my new home too.

Finally, describe in little or as much detail as you want your Christmas Eve/Day.
    Christmas Eve I get up fairly early might get the hair blow dried with my mam&aunt early then bring my aunt & mam for the fresh veg and any other last minute bits & off course collect the turkey, then myself&himself hit the shops for flowers for my family&I usually try get some decorations that have just been reduced can't resist, we might grab some lunch, then head to himselfs parents for a cuppa or if we haven't eaten go for lunch with his folks.

we head to my mams&aunts that evening to effectively move in till a couple of days after Christmas I am an only child my mam raised me lived with my grandfather and aunt in the family home all my life, there is now just the 3 of us left, Christmas eve evening we will get settled for the evening around 6pm may have a take away or some nibbles, I may have some last minute wrapping to do, I sneakly hang stockings on all their beds with treats in them, get the Christmas pjs on, we'll round up the evening with a movie and a few drinks, I try not to stay up too late.

Christmas morning we exchange gifts etc put Christmas fm on, I set the table help where I can, himself heads to his folks for the day, we then head off to a cousin of mine & her family, we'll be there for awhile baileys coffees etc... then back home keep an eye on the dinner, various phone calls mid morning from family&friends, I will get some nibbles on before family arrive visiting my godson included all the Santa talk, I will make my way to my partners folks exchange greetings and gifts, I will then head back to my family we'll tune into the TV see what's on, have our starters then dinner is normally around 5, my partner normally arrives up about 6 or 7
    After dinner I'm normally ready for my pjs make more room for desert followed by all the turkey sambos, crisps chocolates etc....

Can't wait to hear your answers!:)

Posy wrote: »
    Have you quoted the questions and only posted within the quotes?
    If you do that, it thinks you haven't entered any text and you just add a full stop or something at the very end after the
    .[/QUOTE]

Thanks Posy,

• Advertisement

Scarinae thank you for the questions and everyone else guys so far..
    Favourite carol: silent night
    Favourite pop: Marian Carey all I want for Christmas
    Favourite having a bop in my car Frosty The Snow Man Jimmy Durante, Wham Last Christmas or Bruce Springsteen Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

Artificial Tree

Earliest Christmas memory...afraid of Santa... Awake sitting in my grandfathers armchair asking him would he open the hall door to Santa and take the toys of him and not let Santa in the house

Posy wrote: »
    Is there a particular film/films you just have to re-watch every Christmas?
    Love Elf, Polar Express and Fred Claus love these would watch again and again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Hi Sarahlil!!

1) what's your "taste of christmas"?
    2) do you have any special Christmas baubles?
    3) what would be your ideal Christmas present?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Hi SarahLil,
    How many sets of lights on your tree & whats the oldest set ( or decoration you have)
    Any family traditions you like to carry on yourself?
    Do you do the cooking on Christmas day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Great answers, cheers Sarah! :)

Hi Sarahlil!!

1) what's your "taste of christmas"? Defiantly Turkey and ham I see it on any menu and I can't resist, it brings me straight to Christmas,
    2) do you have any special Christmas baubles? I have a couple anywhere I go visit I try pick up one, I got one last week in Scotland which will be hung on the tree this year and my other half got me one when we visited San Francisco which is quite special,
    3) what would be your ideal Christmas present?a trip to Chicago in the run up to Christmas, visited there before but would love to see it around Christmas time,

Delw thanks for the question
    I actually have no lights at the minute they've all stopped working, I normally have 3 sets, this year I will need more we moved into a new home we've more space
    Family tradition myself and my partner have is that we take our parents out for a Christmas night in the run up to Christmas, drinks and 3 course meal,

The big day itself our family tradition is that my cousin & her children visit every Christmas Day, and we started a new tradition 2 years ago that we actually visit another cousin very near by, we love that we started a new tradition, as some family members are no longer with us

Delw - I don't to any of the cooking on the big day apart from nibbles,

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

Sarah - when does "the full Christmas" feeling start for you?

How do you deal with any NON Christmas ideas? (grinches etc...)

What 3 words would you use to describe Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Hello Sarah :)

If time travel was possible and you were able to ask 6 famous people to a special Christmas Feast who would they be & who would cook it?

CarrieAnne "The Full Christmas" probably starts the Friday of the last shopping weekend before the Christmas, coming up to that weekend people are planning the last of their shopping, christmas drinks etc, I find the work days after that weekend people are in holiday mode and most are in very festive moods, dashing shopping on lunch breaks, after work drinks, heading late night shopping after work with family or cosying up watching Christmas movies of an evening,

How do I deal with non Christmas...gringes, believe it or not I work with a lot of gringes, there does be no atmosphere, I brought in decorations over the years and goodies to try and get them in the mood but the final straw was a couple of years ago I wasn't around and they binned all my decorations I was really peeved, the decorations came out of my pocket no one else's, so since then I decorate my own desk, bring in some goodies but not as much and still wear my Christmas jumper on the last day of work, one of the guys is a gringe but his children always come in before the holidays I always have some goodies for the children. They don't even go for lunch in the run up to it, so myself and my partner always go for lunch on my last day of work in my Christmas jumper:)

describe Christmas in three words, Magical, Family, Giving

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    Hello Sarah :)

If time travel was possible and you were able to ask 6 famous people to a special Christmas Feast who would they be & who would cook it?

I have always said I would love to have Alan Carr for Christmas dinner, Nigella Lawson would cook, I am a big George Michael fan so George could serenade us and belt out Last Christmas, Imelda May she seems so down to earth, Phil Lynott see him and Imelda sing together and David Attenborough, I'm sure between the whole lot of them they could tell a story or two and belt out a few numbers

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

SarahLil wrote: »
    CarrieAnne "The Full Christmas" probably starts the Friday of the last shopping weekend before the Christmas, coming up to that weekend people are planning the last of their shopping, christmas drinks etc, I find the work days after that weekend people are in holiday mode and most are in very festive moods, dashing shopping on lunch breaks, after work drinks, heading late night shopping after work with family or cosying up watching Christmas movies of an evening,

How do I deal with non Christmas...gringes, believe it or not I work with a lot of gringes, there does be no atmosphere, I brought in decorations over the years and goodies to try and get them in the mood but the final straw was a couple of years ago I wasn't around and they binned all my decorations I was really peeved, the decorations came out of my pocket no one else's, so since then I decorate my own desk, bring in some goodies but not as much and still wear my Christmas jumper on the last day of work, one of the guys is a gringe but his children always come in before the holidays I always have some goodies for the children. They don't even go for lunch in the run up to it, so myself and my partner always go for lunch on my last day of work in my Christmas jumper:)

describe Christmas in three words, Magical, Family, Giving

Thanks for the wonderful answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I have always said I would love to have Alan Carr for Christmas dinner, Nigella Lawson would cook, I am a big George Michael fan so George could serenade us and belt out Last Christmas, Imelda May she seems so down to earth, Phil Lynott see him and Imelda sing together and David Attenborough, I'm sure between the whole lot of them they could tell a story or two and belt out a few numbers

Thanks

Think you & I would come to blows over who gets George & Nigella ;):D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What's your favourite christmas song?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

What Christmas song would you consign to the dustbin forever?

Loughc - I mentioned three in an earlier post, I do love let it snow let it snow also it's lovely to listen to in the run up to the big day

Scarinae wrote: »
    What Christmas song would you consign to the dustbin forever?
    Dare I say it but Christmas shoes off Christmas fm it grates on me, also not a fan of the power of love it's not abit Christmassy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loughc - I mentioned three in an earlier post, I do love let it snow let it snow also it's lovely to listen to in the run up to the big day

Ooops sorry. Long day in work!

Loughc wrote: »
    Ooops sorry. Long day in work!

No probs Loughc I was wondering was it a trick question as I already had mentioned three, I thought I might get a telling off for being greedy with so many favourites, I have let it snow going around in my head now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

I hace asked other people on previous threads so I might as well ask you SarahLil

If you had to work either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day which one would you choose ? :)

Advertisement