Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Account question...

• 29-09-2014 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I was wondering if anyone with current experience in an online bookies would be able to help with this. What would your company do in this situation?

Last year I placed a bet with a uk online betting company. This was a long term bet which has now won. The bookies in question are now looking for ID verification even though I already sent this in last year after the account was opened. I haven't used the account except for this one transaction and have since moved to a jurisdiction from which they do not accept online bets.

My address has been changed with the bank to my current address so Im assuming they will say that they will not honour the bet and refuse to let me withdraw the winnings as I am currently in a restricted territory. Can they do this, even though the bet was placed and accepted when I was living in Ireland with my irish bank account?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Just my thoughts.

That's a tough one.
    You have to supply a utility bill within the last 3 months so I guess that's why they are looking for new ID as I'm guessing it's after the 3 months?
    Did you tell them you had already sent them the ID and did they reply back it was all okay?
    I would explore every avenue before telling them you are in a restricted country.
    Is it a "large" online company with a B&M presence or just an online company?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Halfaperson

Just my thoughts.

That's a tough one.
    You have to supply a utility bill within the last 3 months so I guess that's why they are looking for new ID as I'm guessing it's after the 3 months?
    Did you tell them you had already sent them the ID and did they reply back it was all okay?
    I would explore every avenue before telling them you are in a restricted country.
    Is it a "large" online company with a B&M presence or just an online company?

It's a large company with shops in the UK. I told them I sent it last year and they said they need something from within 3 months. It's only since the bet won that they are asking for this. No way am I telling them where I am, if I do that I can kiss goodbye to the winnings! Despite the fact that I will be withdrawing the money to my irish bank, technically I would be 'using the service' from a restricted territory which is in breach of their terms and conditions. I'm thinking of changing my bank address to my parents in Ireland and requesting a statement. It will take a while but it's probably the easiest way.

Also, they apply a dormant account charge of 5% of your balance a month. I've never heard of a company doing this, must be a new thing. What a ripoff!

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Passport will be fine as it doesn't have your address on it.
    You will need a utility bill so that may be a problem for you but it might be easier then getting the bank account address changed?
    Dad doesn't have the same 1st name does he?

The 5% I have heard of before.
    It's to stop people having balances and not using them so withdraw or bet it
    (obviously you would like to withdraw it but can't!).
    You could try betting it away and covering it elsewhere for a small or zero cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Halfaperson

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a girl so the dad name thing isn't a runner, or my mams for that matter! Passport has been accepted it's the proof of address that's needed. I'm just going to have to go the address change route I think. It's over €800 so I don't want to bet it although I'm sure they would have no problems with that!

I had the same bet with another company and they let me withdraw so at least there's that.

I was just wondering if my current address was an issue if the bet wasn't placed from here and I won't be withdrawing to a bank from this country. If not I'll have no probs telling them the situation but don't want to risk it.

Advertisement