Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Price Increases (Internet Fares)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Its very similar to Ryanair who base some prices on time and the time of year.

Eg in November you can purchase a 9.99 fare to Manchester everyday except Friday when its 23.99. Supply, Demand and Time.

If IE kept the cheap fares at times especially on a Friday afternoon we would have threat after threat about the major overcrowding. Its bad at times now, dumping lots of cheap fares is not a good idea.

There is no comparison between Ryanair and IR.

80 euro Dublin-Ennis return,is just one example.

The prices are off the wall,even on the pre book site.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

gladrags wrote: »
    There is no comparison between Ryanair and IR.

80 euro Dublin-Ennis return,is just one example.

The prices are off the wall,even on the pre book site.

Of course they are different but they like Irish Rail are well aware when demand is high and will adjust prices accordingly. I didn't dispute that IE prices are cheap or expensive but the same structure is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

any idea what would be a similar distance journey to ennis dublin in the UK for example and its price? both walk up and in advance?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

any idea what would be a similar distance journey to ennis dublin in the UK for example and its price? both walk up and in advance?

Advance price Birmingham to London is £6. Up from the £3.50 I paid over the summer. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Ryanair still charge credit card charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

n97 mini wrote: »
    Advance price Birmingham to London is £6. Up from the £3.50 I paid over the summer. :(

Interesting that you only posted the advance fare.

Online next train available to purchase to travel today is €35.99 to Ennis
    Same for Birmingham New Street to Euston is £49.50 (€63). Both are single tickets.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Same for Birmingham New Street to Euston is £49.50 (€63). Both are single tickets.

Wasn't this thread about booking tickets in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Quick search and looking right now at London Midlands booking engine and it is £49.50 single and £50.50 off peak (€64.50), departing Euston at 10:43. The exact same trip can also be booked for £69 return (€88). Virgin's open return is £164 (€209) :eek:

Bizarrely the same trip can be made for £28 (€35) with an off peak ticket on both operators; however this is for specific departures each way only and yes, some online fares will be fractions of this.

Today, the dearest Dublin-Limerick/Ennis return trip comes in at €67.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

devnull wrote: »
    Wasn't this thread about booking tickets in advance?

Well it's about booking online - the fares range from advance to near departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lxflyer wrote: »
    Well it's about booking online - the fares range from advance to near departure.
    And it appears that Irish Rail are no longer offering online discounts regardless of how far ahead the journey is booked or the expected demand.

Wednesday 29th October return fare Waterford-Dublin booked online is the same as the return walk up fare and restricts the passenger to travel on the chosen services.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    Just checked a midweek fare for Dublin-Waterford on 29th October and it is showing NO discount at all for booking online!

322507.png

• Advertisement

Quick search and looking right now at London Midlands booking engine and it is £49.50 single and £50.50 off peak (€64.50), departing Euston at 10:43. The exact same trip can also be booked for £69 return (€88). Virgin's open return is £164 (€209) :eek:

Bizarrely the same trip can be made for £28 (€35) with an off peak ticket on both operators; however this is for specific departures each way only and yes, some online fares will be fractions of this.

Today, the dearest Dublin-Limerick/Ennis return trip comes in at €67.

The last timee I checked, returm Dublin-Ennis was 80 euro return,buying ticket at Hueston.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The last timee I checked, returm Dublin-Ennis was 80 euro return,buying ticket at Hueston.

Tickets From Dublin Heuston to Ennis TicketPrice
    Adult Single €62.00
    Adult Day Return €69.00
    Adult Open Return €75.80
    Student Single €25.20
    Student Return €31.50
    16-25 Railcard Single €36.50
    16-25 Railcard Return €52.00
    Family Day Return €95.50
    Family Open Return €139.00

source: http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dublin-limerick

Tickets From Dublin Heuston to Ennis TicketPrice
    Adult Single €62.00
    Adult Day Return €69.00
    Adult Open Return €75.80
    Student Single €25.20
    Student Return €31.50
    16-25 Railcard Single €36.50
    16-25 Railcard Return €52.00
    Family Day Return €95.50
    Family Open Return €139.00

source: http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dublin-limerick

They are online prices,not over the counter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

They are online prices,not over the counter

Pretty sure those are the over the counter prices

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Pretty sure those are the over the counter prices

They are, better link here

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dublin-limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I posted it because I have first hand experience. I have no experience of buying an over the counter ticket to/from Birmingham, or any sort of ticket involving Ennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Just checked a midweek fare for Dublin-Waterford on 29th October and it is showing NO discount at all for booking online! fares are actually more expensive than the walk up fares when the credit card charges and fees are included!

322507.png

I came on to check if booking fees had been done away with because I just bought tickets online and couldn't figure out why they seemed a bit cheaper.
    I spotted your post and just wanted to say that I'm travelling to Dublin next Wednesday evening and back to Waterford on Monday afternoon, I checked the prices a few weeks ago and they were showing €16.99 each way, I checked tonight and they were €9.99 each way so the ticket prices can change although this is the first time it's happened to me.
    When I originally looked at the ticket prices, it was prior to the strikes taking place and being called off so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

You can get a day return to Cork on Monday for €29:98 online. Its some difference from the Booking office fare of €75:70.

They would fill the trains with day trippers if that was the standard fare every day. It would be Good for tourism in both Cork and Dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

Irish Rail really need to start employing competent people in their booking department. They seem to prefer to charge massive prices for off peak services resulting in near empty trains because people wont pay their high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Peter File wrote: »
    Irish Rail really need to start employing competent people in their booking department. They seem to prefer to charge massive prices for off peak services resulting in near empty trains because people wont pay their high prices.

At least back a statement like that up with some examples.

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    At least back a statement like that up with some examples.
    Dundalk and Drogheda off peak trains

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The "booking department" would have to actually exist in the first place for that to happen.

Dundalk and Drogheda off peak trains

Off Peak is cheaper on that route.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Off Peak is cheaper on that route.
    They have a lower fare after 9:30 which I am well aware of, but they dont do online discounts for people in Dundalk and Drogheda while those in Northern using the same trains and travelling far further can avail of discounts. A regular day return is €29.80 which is crazy considering that you can buy a return from Belfast to Dublin for €30 on the same train.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

They have a lower fare after 9:30 which I am well aware of

And which is extremely difficult to avail of as it is only available from the booking offices. If they are closed, you are stuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,579 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Hungerford wrote: »
    And which is extremely difficult to avail of as it is only available from the booking offices. If they are closed, you are stuffed.

They're also on the Ticket Vending Machines as well - I've certainly bought a ticket to Kildare from Heuston that was priced at the lower level from a TVM.

Are you saying that they charge you dearer fares because they are incompetent and if they were competent they would say charge you cheaper? Do you honestly think that those on the other end of the phone can charge what they want????

I cant take you seriously when you think that your username is cool.

Are you saying that they charge you dearer fares because they are incompetent and if they were competent they would say charge you cheaper? Do you honestly think that those on the other end of the phone can charge what they want????

I cant take you seriously when you think that your username is cool.
    my point is that they should reduce prices on off peak trains that very few people are using, which clearly is not being done on the drogheda & Dundalk route.

They do.

• Advertisement

They do.
    Show me online fares on that route that are reduced. You will find there are none.

Advertisement