Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis for Data science masters

Options
  • 25-09-2014 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I'm currently doing a masters in data science and analytics in UCC. Someone suggested that it may be a good idea to approach a company to see if there was any research that they were looking into that I could do my thesis on. Potentially resulting in some free work done for them. Does anyone have any input to this idea. Is it an approach that would be common practice and if so what would be the best way to approach a company about doing this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Food Area, it's huge, Exports....Dairy Sector with their quotas coming to an end, I don't know...something in there maybe.
    Is it an approach that would be common practice and if so what would be the best way to approach a company about doing this.
    Sign up to one of those sh1tty Internships, sign an NDA...break out google for contact names on Glanbia, Dawn...Glenisk and give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I did the analytics MSc in Smurfit. Nearly everyone does their thesis in conjunction with one company or another. The companies are quite interested in it for the very reason you said, they get free work out of you for the summer. The only thing is the college do all the legwork, they court the various companies who come in and make proposals, the students then essentially bid for the projects they're interested in. But yes it's certainly a good idea, will give you something to put on your CV, and could lead to a full time job. I'll PM you a list of companies who proposed projects.

I did the analytics MSc in Smurfit. Nearly everyone does their thesis in conjunction with one company or another. The companies are quite interested in it for the very reason you said, they get free work out of you for the summer. The only thing is the college do all the legwork, they court the various companies who come in and make proposals, the students then essentially bid for the projects they're interested in. But yes it's certainly a good idea, will give you something to put on your CV, and could lead to a full time job. I'll PM you a list of companies who proposed projects.
    why a PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I was thinking the same thing for my thesis. Would be interested in areas related to sports/health and fitness or medical.

@interested observer I wouldn't mind seeing that list of companies if you wouldn't mind sharing it? I'll drop you a PM

• Advertisement
Advertisement