Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultraman1 at the Spartathlon

• 25-09-2014 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow at 7am (6am irish time) Ultraman1 along with 358 other competitors will compete to complete the 156 mile ultramarathon from Athens to Sparta. It's an extremely tough course through the greek mountains with a strict 36hr cut off. There are 75 checkpoints throughout the race and failure to reach each point on time will result in the athlete being pulled out.

The finish rate is less than 50% and the entry criteria is very tough. Often even top ultra runners aren't able to finish. Very few first timers manage to complete the race so this really will be an epic battle for our hero :pac:

Live tracking will be available from here. Look out for number 229.

Best of Luck UM1!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Can't wait for the race report.

fri......hot 156 round grece........156

Good luck ultraman1!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

An official stalker thread :eek:

Good Luck, Anto! DFIU!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

That hill about 3/4's the way in looks......serious, deffo one for a run walk strategy :)

GL Anto, if you can convince loads of people to do 400 laps of a tiny forrest every year this will be easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭Trampas

He'll be like this running into Sparta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

It would be epic if Anto beat the self proclaimed 'fittest man in the world' Dean Karnazes (#95). Watch this bluffer get caught out tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Tomorrow at 7am (6am irish time) Ultraman1 along with 358 other competitors will compete to complete the 156 mile ultramarathon from Athens to Sparta. It's an extremely tough course through the greek mountains with a strict 36hr cut off. There are 75 checkpoints throughout the race and failure to reach each point on time will result in the athlete being pulled out.

The finish rate is less than 50% and the entry criteria is very tough. Often even top ultra runners aren't able to finish. Very few first timers manage to complete the race so this really will be an epic battle for our hero :pac:

Live tracking will be available from here. Look out for number 229.

Best of Luck UM1!!!

He better not forget my fcukin t shirt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

201st at checkpoint 11 (out of 75 checkpoints!), about half an hour behind the bluffer

RayCun wrote: »
    201st at checkpoint 11 (out of 75 checkpoints!), about half an hour behind the bluffer

Looks like he is running with Eddie Gallen

It would be epic if Anto beat the self proclaimed 'fittest man in the world' Dean Karnazes (#95). Watch this bluffer get caught out tomorrow.

Karnazes in 8th place, Anto in 339th so far. Early days yet.

Remember, it's a marathon ultra, not a sprint :D

Karnazes in 8th place, Anto in 339th so far. Early days yet.

Remember, it's a marathon ultra, not a sprint :D

I can't make head nor tail of the tracking, it doesn't seem to be picking up the athletes as they go through intermediate checkpoints...the only thing I can see is that Anto was in 201st place through checkpoint 11 and Karnazares in 49th; however that was about 2 hrs ago.....
    Next upadte should be at checkpoint 22 (80 km)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I can't make head nor tail of the tracking, it doesn't seem to be picking up the athletes as they go through intermediate checkpoints...the only thing I can see is that Anto was in 201st place through checkpoint 11 and Karnazares in 49th; however that was about 2 hrs ago.....
    Next upadte should be at checkpoint 22 (80 km)

The checkpoints that are coloured show live data from the chips (took me a while to see that !) - you're right - next live data from checkpoint 22 - seems that data is as sparse as UM1's reports. should have asked him to update as he went along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Through checkpoint 22 in 238th place.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Karnazes is 62nd on checkpoint 22,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Looks like DK is starting to get a lactic buildup- go ultra man!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Looks like he is running with Eddie Gallen

That would be an excellent tactic. Eddie has completed the race previously, and is an incredibly consistant ultrarunner (And also a thoroughly nice guy!).

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Looks like DK is starting to get a lactic buildup- go ultra man!!!!!!

Next major checkpoint is number 35 (123.3km) which is half way. The Italian Leader went through 3.5 hours ago; DK just passed through a few minutes ago having dropped to 95th place. Hopefully UM1 will be through soon enough....

Eddie Gallen just went through half way checpoint in 131st place. He has moved up about 70 places since checkpoint 22.

Just doing a bit of research there. The Italian Leader is a 2 time winner (2010 an 2011) and European 24hr Champion. The American in Second place is the world 24hr Champion from last year with a mark of 269km. He also hold set an American record for 100 miles (11:59) in 2013.

Grrrr, tracking thing is not updating.....

UM1 just went through halfway in about 15 hrs 30......

Next major checkpoint is no 47 at approx 100miles, it's at the base of the mountain you can see on the route map...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

When I'm going into any of the site's pages, it's now saying Account Suspended. :mad:

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »
    When I'm going into any of the site's pages, it's now saying Account Suspended. :mad:

Yep It is very hit and miss. Just leave it sit and it comes back (sometimes).
    6 fellas through CP 47, The Italian leader has opened up a 33 minute lead on the American with 4 others close behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

UM1 just went through halfway in about 15 hrs 30......

Next major checkpoint is no 47 at approx 100miles, it's at the base of the mountain you can see on the route map...

Sounds like you have the happy tissues out ;)

Through cp 52.

over an hour ago I think. Keep it lit you ..................

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Any updates on the main event - UM1 versus DK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

I just watched a pretty cool documentary on this race - looks ridiculous... There was a "fruitarian" (only eats fruit) American dude in it - I kinda hope ultra man beats him as well if he's running... Fruitarian wtf???

Any updates on the main event - UM1 versus DK?

DK has gone through checkpoint 60 about an hour ago, UM1 might still need another half an hour to get there.

On the other hand, Eddie Gallen has moved into the top 100 (and ahead of the world's fittest man)

Something else caught my eye: A married couple running the event together, reaching CP60 in places 100 and 101 (how romantic - must try and convince Niamh :D)

Trampas wrote: »
    Through cp 52.

over an hour ago I think. Keep it lit you ..................

Deadly!! That means he is over the mountain and he has got through the night. The worst should be over.

Come on Anto!!

Deadly!! That means he is over the mountain and he has got through the night. The worst should be over.

Come on Anto!!

Last 50km are downhillish he was saying. Through cp 60 now

Looks like the American guy who was in second Place dropped out after CP 60. The Italian (Ivan Cudin- not a very Italian name!!) went on to win it in 22.5hrs, almost 90 minutes clear of the German in second place.
    The first lady finished in 26:53.

• Advertisement

Trampas wrote: »
    Last 50km are downhillish he was saying. Through cp 60 now

He got to checkpoint 60 at 11:17 (Greek time).

Cut-off time was 11:00! I don't know how strict they are, I really hope they did not pull him off the course!

Advertisement