Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Systems Management-Tips&Info

• 13-09-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi i just got accepted into this course im really looking forward to it.
    Anybody else doing it or done it.

Any tips or information for a newbie?????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭maracas

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Meraf

Hi Maracas,

Just make sure that you won't miss any CA. They are easy points to get before exams , and be sure to be at school as there is a lot of material to get through in short time and you should be grand.

If you want to know more pm me:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I just finished this back in May as an evening course, a good 60% of it was really good and really useful and definitely assisted me in getting my last 3 jobs, the other 40% were pretty fluffy and pretty ****!
    The classes that deal with IT like Operating systems and Networking were really good and to be honest the networking is something I reference every day, the modules are taken from CCNA and if you have that understanding it makes things a WHOLE lot easier in work so def pay attention when it comes to those classes! but the classes like interpersonal communications I found were quite bad and a waste of time but hey if they say you gotta do them you gotta do them so put in a minimum effort to pass it and never look at them again.

if you've no IT experience you may find it gets difficult quite fast
    over half the class dropped out within the first year. if you have IT experience or even a good understanding of IT and you attend all of the classes and I mean a good 95-100% of classes then you should cruise by and pretty much have the year passed even before you sit down to take a Christmas/Summer exam

Generally the IT world is pretty easy to get into but you really need to start at the bottom of the ladder and trust me you'll have no choice in the matter, I'm talking about a call centre answering stupid peoples questions for 18-19 grand per year but you can move up quite quickly if your motivated and can play the game you can take jumps up the ladder every 9 months or so.

Plus the handy thing is that once you're in the IT game about 2 years then really you can walk into any job and won't have any issues job security is a huge benefit especially in this market however your salary for 2-3 years experience in roughly 30-40 grand depending on what your doing.

Any other questions let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KEN.G

I'm starting this part time on Monday.

Just looking to get as much as possible from the CA's and get through the first year.
    I hear the networking and Java classes a fairly hard going.

Yeah im staring Monday aswell...I applied late so havem to drop down to the college today to pay the fees.Is it an induction on Monday or is the classes starting.
    I actually work as a CAD Technican for a struct steel company but have decided to take a carrer change.I always have had a good knowledge of IT and actaully do alot of the companys it.They are fine with me taking the part time course and have agreed to allow me some flexibilty in my hours.
    Im aware it will be a challenge alright but determined to stick at it....
    Does anybody know what the job market is like for the Digital Forensic course you can do after this one?
    It would be few and far between i imagine in Ireland...altough id love to move abroad once i get everything sorted and get the experience under the belt?

Also stupid question what do i need to bring with me for classes.Its been a few years since ive been back in the classroom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ivkamm

Hi,
    Starting this course. I dont really have much experience in IT. After doing this course is it realistic to think I would get a job in IT after doing it? What sort of job might that be? Limited to a call centre type role?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

The Networking and java can get quite difficult quite fast, some people in the class will pick it up quite easily and some wont, your classmates should be able to help you out, we all got along really well and we all helped each other out! so I wouldn't worry about it to much,

In regards to getting a job afterwards, I wouldn't wait that long, start looking for a job ASAP, you'll more than likely find something for a junior IT administrator or call center type role, everyone it IT starts here, it gives you your base knowledge and you would be surprised how much you will learn in 3-6 months on the job, plus work and college will compliment each other.

College teaches you enough to blag your way into a job but its real world experience that will keep you moving upwards - just remember a majority of IT people don't really know that they're talking about, they're just more confident that they know a little more than everyone else and your colleagues and Google will help you out the rest of the way! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Also starting this course this evening - looking forward to it.

I'll be the guy wearing the big bird costume, you can't miss me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Anyone get the info from Aoife the other night emailed through yet for moodle?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KEN.G

Keyzer wrote: »
    Anyone get the info from Aoife the other night emailed through yet for moodle?

Not yet just the CS key so far.

• Advertisement

KEN.G wrote: »
    Not yet just the CS key so far.

I havent got the course code from Aoife yet only got the course code from Irene Murtagh.Any chance you can send it to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

How did ye guys get on with this course? Ive no IT background but interested ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kissdaboss

Anybody has done or going to do this course (P/T Evening) @ ITB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 085cheeky

kissdaboss wrote: »
    Anybody has done or going to do this course (P/T Evening) @ ITB ?

starting myself tomorrow. reg at 4-6pm and classes beginning at 6pm i believe

085cheeky wrote: »
    starting myself tomorrow. reg at 4-6pm and classes beginning at 6pm i believe

yep, same times for me too

yep, same times for me too

do we have to be there at 4pm or do we have to be there anytime between 4-6pm?

do we have to be there at 4pm or do we have to be there anytime between 4-6pm?

i would say you have to pick your student card up between 4-6pm then the class kick off at 6pm.... so no point to be there at 4....

I'm gonna be there around 5.30ish....

what you think so far?

what you think so far?

looks good to me, so far so good....

we have no class tonight, right?

looks good to me, so far so good....

we have no class tonight, right?

yup, nothing today back in on Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

What's the numbers like for the class this year? I'm in the 3rd year now (BN311) which is a continuation of BN026.
    When I did it we started out with almost 40 people and were split into two groups. By the end of year two we were down to about 25 people.

If you guys have some questions about the course feel free to ask. :)

Oh, and who are your lecturers?

Morpork wrote: »
    What's the numbers like for the class this year? I'm in the 3rd year now (BN311) which is a continuation of BN026.
    When I did it we started out with almost 40 people and were split into two groups. By the end of year two we were down to about 25 people.

If you guys have some questions about the course feel free to ask. :)

Oh, and who are your lecturers?

I guess we are like around 30-40 in the group right now, the group will be split in two for the labs.... we've got Brendan Lawless and Stephen White lecturers so far.

What would you reckon be the most difficult subject to pass?

Never had Brendan, but Stephen is a great lecturer. His MCQ exams can be tricky though!

As for the difficulty, there is none that's very difficult and it really depends on the student. But the two modules that are quite loaded are Networks 1 in year 1 and Operating Systems 2 in year 2. If you had a Networks class already you'll know that you will do subnetting. But subnetting is a big part of networking 1 and 2. So get good at it and you'll have a good chunk of marks.

Never had Brendan, but Stephen is a great lecturer. His MCQ exams can be tricky though!

As for the difficulty, there is none that's very difficult and it really depends on the student. But the two modules that are quite loaded are Networks 1 in year 1 and Operating Systems 2 in year 2. If you had a Networks class already you'll know that you will do subnetting. But subnetting is a big part of networking 1 and 2. So get good at it and you'll have a good chunk of marks.

whats mcq again?

also when youve done your second year does the cert stand to you in anyway? i want to get out of my current job and restart my career in IT at entry level as soon as possible so on my cv i have a current student and the course im doing but ive a feeling allot of employers wont even entertain until after year 3 when all going well in theory i should have my degree.

MCQ is multiple choice quiz.

Yes, some people chose to do only 2 years and some people have gotten IT jobs since finishing year 2. Of course the degree is better, but if you're planning on doing the 3rd year the results of the 2nd year don't carry over. 3rd year is it's own thing. Also, the results of the first year don't count for the 2nd year either. They're only for getting into year 2.

MCQ is multiple choice quiz.

Yes, some people chose to do only 2 years and some people have gotten IT jobs since finishing year 2. Of course the degree is better, but if you're planning on doing the 3rd year the results of the 2nd year don't carry over. 3rd year is it's own thing. Also, the results of the first year don't count for the 2nd year either. They're only for getting into year 2.

i get you now. have you any old exam test papers or anything you could share so i could see what to expect in an exam situation? or any old books you might not need anymore i could buy

Past papers are available on the ITB intranet. First go to https://portal.itb.ie then log on with the username: campus\<studentid> and your password.
    Then click "ITB's new intranet". Then at the bottom left there is a link to previous exam papers.

You'll probably notice if you look at all the past papers (particularly soft dev) there is many repeating questions or questions that are just slightly different.

I didn't buy any books at all. Didn't feel like I needed any to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭neonman

I am strongly thinking of doing this course this year. From people that have finished the course or are still on the course how did they find it? Is it up to date technology wise?

The end goal is to go onto study Computing in information security and digital forensics.

Was it hard going doing 3 nights a week? I take it most people on the course are working full-time and may have a family as well? How did you find it with all that in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brian00278

I am thinking of doing this as well, is there anyone on here with advice, how they got on, how they found the different modules and working and doing this course part time, did it interfere with your life/work much?

• Advertisement

Doesn't cause too much disruption to your home life tbh you learn a good bit from doing this and are exposed to everything from Web design to java and networking. It's definitely a foundation for year 3 when it goes up a gear.

Some teachers are better than others and some leave you watching youtube to figure out what they were actually talking about. So if you don't understand something make sure to ask. Exam time is when it gets hectic but if you have put in the work with your CA you should have passed most subjects before walking into the exam. The rest you should only be a margin away from passing all going well. Most of my year started failing around maths in 2nd year.

Good luck

Advertisement