Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Offseason 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

JR Smith
    They said I wouldn't make it! I did! They said I wouldn't stay! This is my 11th yr! They said you can't shoot like that in the league! I'm on pace to be one of the best shooters the game had ever seen! Bottom line what yall say don't me sh@$ What I do says everything! #Gone

Never ever change JR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Stephen Marbury is starring and playing himself in a musical about his life in China, "I am Stephen Marbury."
    Couldn't make this up, I thought this was a joke, haha. http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/stephon-marbury-the-musical-a-tale-of-making-it-in-beijing/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
    8 Mile and Eminem watch out!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Anyone know WTF is going on with the Eurosport scheduling of the World Cup? I'm just home from the college football game in Croke Park and thought I'd be watching hoops for the night but neither of the Eurosports on my UPC are showing it according to the guide. Will be seriously pee'd off if it's not on as they're supposed to be showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Hopefully world cup Pau comes to Chicago :D

I told all you Pau haters that he looked bad because of coaching for the last 2 seasons. He can play - look at his career stats, look at his last 2 games versus the US. Thibs will get huge value out of this deal, expect Pau to be an all star easily this year.

• Advertisement

I don't recall anyone hating on Pau to be fair.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    I don't recall anyone hating on Pau to be fair.

I'm inclined to agree here, I don't remember anyone saying Pau was past it, it's just he was in an awful situation.

There was a bit at one stage guys, honestly! I had to defend him at one stage. He's playing very well in the worlds though, looks very fit, strong and ready

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Lets be honest The Basketball World Cup is a series of warm up games until this two team competition starts in the final game between USA and Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Shawn Marion officially signed as a Cav!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Marvin Barnes, Enigmatic Basketball Player, Dies at 62

Sounded like a colourful character...

'On another occasion, after missing the Spirits’ flight from New York to Norfolk, Va., he chartered a plane, insisted the team pay the pilot, then walked into the locker room minutes before tipoff carrying a bag of hamburgers and wearing a mink coat over his uniform. Then he went out and scored more than 40 points.'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Paul George putting his downtime to good use :rolleyes: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2191370-athletes-and-media-react-to-ray-rice-domestic-violence-video

He's a f*cking moron. Larry kicked his ass round the place after by the looks of the Pacers statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Bulls are lucky to have some great guys on the team.

@TajGibson22: "I like coming off the bench tho!!! Starting or coming of the bench really doesn't matter. Please miss me with the drama #SeeRed #BullsNation"

(context for this: Report: Taj Gibson not thrilled to come off bench for Bulls)

Woj reporting that Michael Beasley has reached agreement with the Memphis Grizzlies

Oh and the Pelicans have released a new red alternate jersey for this season
    ByOrkvmCcAAv4oh.png

Really like that.

ESPN reporting that Eric Bledsoe & Suns agree to five-year, $70 million deal

Not that basketball related but still, ESPN has suspended Bill Simmons after he went on a profanity-laced rant about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

The company released a statement Wednesday that read:
    "Every employee must be accountable to ESPN and those engaged in our editorial operations must also operate within ESPN’s journalistic standards. We have worked hard to ensure that our recent NFL coverage has met that criteria. Bill Simmons did not meet those obligations in a recent podcast, and as a result we have suspended him for three weeks."

Simmons went on his podcast, The B.S. Report, earlier in the week and called Goodell "a liar." He took issue with the way in which the league has handled the Ray Rice affair, via For the Win's Nick Schwartz:
    "Goodell, if he didn’t know what was on that tape, he’s a liar. I’m just saying it. He is lying. If you put him up on a lie detector test, that guy would fail. For all these people to pretend they didn’t know is such [expletive] [expletive]. It really is, it’s such [expletive] [expletive]. For him to go into that press conference and pretend otherwise—I was so insulted."

Simmons went on to dare ESPN to censor him as well.
    "I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I’m in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, I’m going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner’s a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you.""

No idea how this relates to Grantland as he posted a picture on Instagram that him and Jalen Rose are preparing to tape their NBA Previews for this season for Grantland

Don't understand the suspension. Bill didn't say anything that wasn't true. The dogs on the street know Goodell is a lying sack of crap.

And there so called [expletive] he uses was nothing either. "Bull Sh1t" The name of his show is a play on the world Bull Sh1t and his initials The B.S Report.

Finding it hard as a Pacers fan to get hyped for this season. Stephenson gone, George out, No impact additions, Question marks over Hibbert.

• Advertisement

Finding it hard as a Pacers fan to get hyped for this season. Stephenson gone, George out, No impact additions, Question marks over Hibbert.

PG being given out to by a judge over his paternity case.........it's a no season for the pacers really. There already broken offense is going to be non existant and I'd guess there's questions about their defense as well. The best they can hope for is that Hibbert has a year like Al Jefferson had last year. They could end up in the lottery this year which mightn't be the worst.

Not that basketball related but still, ESPN has suspended Bill Simmons after he went on a profanity-laced rant about NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

That sucks, no podcasts or columns for 3 weeks. I hope it's not a trigger to Simmons leaving ESPN, because I think he knew what he was doing. He wanted to make a point, he wanted ESPN to reprimand him. I don't think he thought he'd get as severe a suspension as 3 weeks, which is almost unprecedented (I think ESPN knew what he was doing, and gave him the extra harsh suspension because of that).

Simmons is a writer, he knows the value of words. The word that got him suspended was 'liar'. He could've said 'that press conference was a load of bull', and would've been fine, but 'liar' carries connotations of slander. Everyone knows Goodell is lying, but he's so practiced in bull****, he never says anything of substance, that it's hard to technically pin him down on a lie.

Side note: the NBA is lucky to have a good commissioner in Adam Silver. It's early in his tenure yet, but everything he's said and done so far is poles apart from Goodell: honest, transparent, competent, wants to improve the sport first, and believes the money will follow if you do that (this is the correct long-term approach to me).

Goodell...dishonest, vague, incompetent, thinks of increasing revenue first and foremost at the long-term expense of the sport (example: wants to add 2 more playoff teams, it's a pure money-grab that damages the long-term structure of the season).

I watched his press conference the other night. It was 45 minutes of bull****, a big two-fingers to fans of the sport who wanted some answers. Total charade done to appease sponsors and possibly owners...'I'm going to stand up here and say nothing for 45 minutes'.

This is what set Simmons off I think. You can forgive some mistakes, no-one's perfect, but don't go up and brazenly bull**** people about it, which Goodell systematically did. I take my hat off to Simmons, I think he's knowingly taken a hit to make a point that needed to be made. I hope it doesn't affect his long-term relationship with ESPN.

Pop speaking about Boris Diaw today.
    Boris is having pina coladas. We have a pool where you guess his weight. You have to start at 275."

Brilliant haha

I just knocked across this article and found it to be very interesting. http://developyourbballiq.com/the-san-antonio-spurs-ball-movement-and-triple-threat/

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

A few Hibbert to the Cavs rumours going around. What do people think of that?

stuba wrote: »

Despite losing Stephenson & Turner, I can't see the Pacers trading Hibbert unless their going into "blow it up" mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

stuba wrote: »
    Honestly He would be perfect for them, Le Bron would keep him focused. Dont see what Cleveland would offer for him though, maybe Waiters

Can't see it happening.

Pacers are depending on Roy a lot this year. Maybe this new sense of trust will get him out of his strop.

astonaidan wrote: »
    Honestly He would be perfect for them, Le Bron would keep him focused. Dont see what Cleveland would offer for him though, maybe Waiters

No chance we're giving up on Waiters, especially considering how much LeBron likes him. Looking through our roster, it's tough to see who we could give up

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Can't see it happening.

Pacers are depending on Roy a lot this year. Maybe this new sense of trust will get him out of his strop.

Roy might have a great year since they are missing george and stephenson this year. He'll definitely get more touches anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement