Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2d game artist ??CODE??

Options
  • 24-09-2014 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey. I'm looking to get into game art, preferably 2d at the moment but there doesnt seem to be many companies taking on interns at the moment so I was thinking maybe I could collaborate with a pretty good indie developer. I have years of experience working freelance illustration but I think I need a more game orientated portfolio. And do I need to learn code to work in game art??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Smigie... wrote: »
    Hey. I'm looking to get into game art, preferably 2d at the moment but there doesnt seem to be many companies taking on interns at the moment so I was thinking maybe I could collaborate with a pretty good indie developer. I have years of experience working freelance illustration but I think I need a more game orientated portfolio. And do I need to learn code to work in game art??

In the indie scene, the more skills you bring to the table, the better. If you could even read code, you'd have an edge on your competition. There are usually plenty of people looking for an artist willing to join a team, my brother is working on a game that is pretty art heavy and is having trouble getting art assets (probably because he's not paying people yet :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smigie...

RedXIV wrote: »
    In the indie scene, the more skills you bring to the table, the better. If you could even read code, you'd have an edge on your competition. There are usually plenty of people looking for an artist willing to join a team, my brother is working on a game that is pretty art heavy and is having trouble getting art assets (probably because he's not paying people yet :D)
    Well at the minute I want to get as much experience as possible. Maybe I could help him out.. Pm me an email addy and I'll send ye on a link. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Kilgore__Trout

Wouldn't see coding as a requirement to creating game art, and working with a developer. It would be useful to understand a little about optimising your art for use in games though.

As RedXIV suggested, being able to do multiple things is likely to help getting into a team. Most small developers have to wear too many hats, and a lot of the time the hats don't fit very well, so being versatile, and able to take over multiple positions within the team would give you a better chance.

Another thing to consider is skill upkeep. Pretty much any skill requires a time investment to maintain and improve proficiency, so you may want to consider whether you have enough time to maintain and build on your current talent for art, and learn to program/script. No harm to try it and seeing if it's something your interested in, though : )

You could look into 3d modelling, as there's more overlap with illustration, and if you can work in 2D & 3D you can provide a complete art package. Other relevant areas include testing, writing, sound design, marketing, book keeping, and a basic understanding of law.

Might be worth putting up a link to your portfolio here, might help you connect!

Wouldn't see coding as a requirement to creating game art, and working with a developer. It would be useful to understand a little about optimising your art for use in games though.

As RedXIV suggested, being able to do multiple things is likely to help getting into a team. Most small developers have to wear too many hats, and a lot of the time the hats don't fit very well, so being versatile, and able to take over multiple positions within the team would give you a better chance.

Another thing to consider is skill upkeep. Pretty much any skill requires a time investment to maintain and improve proficiency, so you may want to consider whether you have enough time to maintain and build on your current talent for art, and learn to program/script. No harm to try it and seeing if it's something your interested in, though : )

You could look into 3d modelling, as there's more overlap with illustration, and if you can work in 2D & 3D you can provide a complete art package. Other relevant areas include testing, writing, sound design, marketing, book keeping, and a basic understanding of law.

Might be worth putting up a link to your portfolio here, might help you connect!
    Yea thanks, I studied 3ds max in college, just would have machine good enough machine to run it at the minute and its pretty expensive.. Although I am trying to figure out a free alternative to max (cant think of name of it atm) but its a slow process.. For now I'll stick to 2d.. Cheers kilgore.. Think the rules of boards is ye have to have a good few posts up before ye can post a link.. I'll put up a link to my work soon as I can.. Thanks dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Smigie... wrote: »
    Yea thanks, I studied 3ds max in college, just would have machine good enough machine to run it at the minute and its pretty expensive.. Although I am trying to figure out a free alternative to max (cant think of name of it atm) but its a slow process.. For now I'll stick to 2d.. Cheers kilgore.. Think the rules of boards is ye have to have a good few posts up before ye can post a link.. I'll put up a link to my work soon as I can.. Thanks dude.

Is the free one blender? I found that one pretty good

• Advertisement

No worries! You might be looking for Blender? www.blender.org/

No worries! You might be looking for Blender? www.blender.org/

Thats it.. Yea cheers.. :-D

Here's my blog. anthonysands(dot) blogspot (dot) ie

Nice. You've an interesting, kinda surreal style. Really liked precarious path. There are quite a lot of game related art requests on deviant art, in the commissions section. Could be worth keeping an eye on it if you aren't already.

Advertisement