Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Films with alcohol abuse as the main theme?

Options
  • 19-09-2014 5:56pm

I just watched Blake Edwards 1962 Days of Wine and Roses again. What an incredibly mold-breaking film that was from a Hollywood that rarely tackles social abuses like alcoholism. I did a search afterwards and the title comes from a poem by Ernest Dowson in 1896. I found great meaning in these lines:

They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
    Out of a misty dream
    Our path emerges for a while, then closes
    Within a dream.
    Vitae Summa Brevis (1896).

I also could relate to the 1996 film Leaving Last Vegas with Nicholas Cage based on the life of the writer John O'Brien who went to Vegas to drink himself to death.

Any other films along the same lines as these?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

'When a Man Loves a Woman' 1994 with Meg Ryan and Andy Garcia.. Brilliant film imo

Also 'Flight' 2012 with Denzel Washington

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Tyrannosaur
    My Name is Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Program about RUSSEL Brand on rte2 now about addiction.
    23.05 - 00.15

I posted YouTube link while back of same. It's excellent.

I think "Crazy Heart" was about a country and western singer stuggling with alcohol issue wasnt it? If memory serves.

I think the relatively recent biolgraphical film about Johnny Cash also covered it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Liam Neeson stars in a new movie called "A Walk Among the Tombstones" which is currently out in cinemas. Went to see it during the week and thought it was brilliant! Addiction is a major theme in A Walk Among the Tombstones. Liam Neeson's Matt Scudder battles the lingering demons of his alcoholism. The 12 step programme features in it too. A must see, in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Carpet diem

Liam Neeson stars in a new movie called "A Walk Among the Tombstones" which is currently out in cinemas. Went to see it during the week and thought it was brilliant! Addiction is a major theme in A Walk Among the Tombstones. Liam Neeson's Matt Scudder battles the lingering demons of his alcoholism. The 12 step programme features in it too. A must see, in my opinion!

cant wait to see this - am I right in saying Liam neeson had personal issues himself with addiction and if so will help in doing this role?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

I'm not sure CarpetDiem but you'll love the movie, best I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭tinpib

The Lost Weekend from 1945. Pretty accurate and I imagine it must have been ground-breaking when released.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Flight starring Denzel Washington.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Rum Diaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

nil by mouth. alcohol and drug abuse are prominent ray winstone and kathy burke star in it.
    think it was written by gary oldman ,
    might be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Flight starring Denzel Washington.

One of my favorites recently.

For any AAs this is actually quite good

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097939/ It's about Bill W and has a decent cast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Clean and Sober with Michael Keaton is very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Earl Turner

Trees Lounge by Steve Buscemi is excellent.

Advertisement