Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Best\Longest Summers in Memory Discussion

• 16-09-2014 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I was only 4 in 76 so don't recall it. Even the grey, cool August wasn't wet, other than that it has been shorts & T-shirt since June. Summer is approaching 4 months long!

What was the Best/Longest Summer in Memory 287 votes

0% 0 votes
    1% 3 votes
    0% 0 votes
    16% 47 votes
    1% 5 votes
    1% 5 votes
    52% 151 votes
    4% 13 votes
    16% 46 votes
    5% 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ch750536 wrote: »
    I was only 4 in 76 so don't recall it. Even the grey, cool August wasn't wet, other than that it has been shorts & T-shirt since June. Summer is approaching 4 months long!

If August had been nicer, I'd have put this summer up as one if the best but as it was particularly cool and autumnal for much of August, I can't rate the overall summer highly. 1995 wins hands down for me followed by 1990 and 2003. Too young to remember 76!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

95. Nothing else comes close to it..well in my 40 years

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

August was Autumn for whole month!!

Yes the Summer of June, July and September has been great. Shame about the break for a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Summer 1995 was the best summer i can remember,i was only 2 during 76 so i dont remember that. Summer 1989 was another very good one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The summer's of 89 and 95 were amazing. I can't remember 76 either as I was only 2 years old. This year would have been in with a shout only for the crap, cool and often very wet August to interfere with what was an excellent June and July and now very decent September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭acequion

1995 for me. No other summer in about 40 years comes even close.

Here in Tralee,this September has been even nicer than July. July was very pleasant and balmy but we didn't see a whole lot of sun in the south west. And I was away for the best two weeks in June so missed that heatwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

August wasn't bad as far as I'm concerned. Mild and Dry for the most part in Bray, just not as much Sun as June, July and September. I work in the small family business with the doors open about 6ft away, so while technically indoors I may as well be outdoors. Worked in a T-Shirt since mid May and have not felt the need for another layer on top since May even in August. Granted its been close near closing time between 9 and 10 PM :D

Seems to be a lot of 40 year olds posting in this thread. ie. 2yo for the Summer of '76 and hittin' our prime for '95 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

here in sligo june and july were decent with long dry spells but not wall to wall sun rain was only about 50mm each month with no exceptionally wet day

August was actually very sunny here with showers also and 2 fully wet days but very cold. Rain gauge was well under the monthly average of 100mm that was norm for the 2007-2012 period

September so far has been quite unbelieveable. More sunny days than any month since July 2013 probably Rainfall has been only 0.5mm so far in 17 days:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

September here is actually better than July-far sunnier anyway.

I turned four in '76 and can only vaguely remember the grown ups saying how hot it was. I don't remember '89 at all for some reason, so '95 was by far the best summer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

axe2grind wrote: »
    August was Autumn for whole month!!

Yes the Summer of June, July and September has been great. Shame about the break for a month

A lot of trees have turned brown due to the persistent northelies over August. It looks like seasonally August and September has been reversed like I said in a another post on the weather forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

1995 was also the best for me,i was just finished first year in Secondary school and so it was my first 3 month Summer holiday. Long carefree warm sunny days by the river, ahh those were the days:-). This summer has been very good but not as good as '95.
    As I recall though the following summer in 1996 was pure muck, an endless conveyor belt of misty grey weather all summer, but maybe next year will be different:).

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

1995 was the benchmark for me, but I think 2013 might have been better. July 2013 was just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭John mac

76 :cool: {showing my age here }

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Summer of 69 .... Sorry ..had to do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

weisses wrote: »
    Summer of 69 .... Sorry ..had to do it :D

Right. Out! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

1995. I was 14. It was great to be a teenager that summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

1995. I was 14. It was great to be a teenager that summer

It was better being 20 in a union job with 4 weeks off that year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

There's stuff falling from the sky here in Cork :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I remember being outside with my younger brother and there were loads of flying ants all over the the drains and in the air. You couldn't stay outside for more than an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

red_bairn wrote:
    I remember being outside with my younger brother and there were loads of flying ants all over the the drains and in the air. You couldn't stay outside for more than an hour.

'95 That is.

(Not sure how to edit on the new Boards app for Android)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was working in a Bray Seafront bar in the 90's. Beer gardens packed all day everyday even during weekdays that Summer of '95. After a string of Summerfest washouts the organising committee decided in '94 to move the Summerfest to September the following year as an experiment to take advantage of the annual Indian Summer. So Summerfest '95 ended up not being held in the middle of the best Summer ever but the week in September when the Summer of '95 ended with monsoonal rains. They just couldn't win :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

1973 I recall vaguely as being fine, 76, 83, 84, 95, 13 and 14 hasn't been a bad one at all. Three weeks in August were utterly mediocre but we've sort of made up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

1973 I recall vaguely as being fine, 76, 83, 84, 95, 13 and 14 hasn't been a bad one at all. Three weeks in August were utterly mediocre but we've sort of made up for it.

I would agree with all but 13 as it was the worst spring on record grass didn't grow until June
    I had to buy hay from France UK and Canada at 10 times the normal price to keep cattle alive
    It was a good second half year but not as dry or hot as this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Added a poll to get the lurkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Summer 95, Summer 84 (July/August/sept) and this year with the exception of the sh*t August. Last year was good too but this year was better.

I remember 76 being very hot and sunny although I was only 6. I couldn't have told you what year it was but I do remember a very hot sunny summer from around that time so guessing it was it. We lived beside a beach and spent the entire summer on it that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Summer 95, Summer 84 (July/August/sept) and this year with the exception of the sh*t August. Last year was good too but this year was better.

I remember 76 being very hot and sunny although I was only 6. I couldn't have told you what year it was but I do remember a very hot sunny summer from around that time so guessing it was it. We lived beside a beach and spent the entire summer on it that year.

I seem to recall 76 having a number of days with temperatures in excess of 30 Celsius! Can anyone confirm that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

1976 to was by far and away the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Vaguely remember 76 but 95 ..wow! Not a cloud in the sky for six weeks..

I remember the Daily Star put a satellite pic of Ireland on the front page..Not one cloud on the whole of Ireland to be seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

1990 is my choice, surprised by the lack of love for it actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

If next weeks forecast is to be believed, better get my mankini back.

Advertisement