Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Indie/Altie Chitter Chatter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

lordgoat wrote: »
    Any of ye listen to decent podcasts?

I quite like All songs considered on NPR.

+1 I like that one to.

Used to listen to Guardian's music weekly but that's gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Nialler 9 has 10 or so songs on his fb page every week. Good selection but he links it from you tube and sound cloud so you can't leave the page to browse other things if on a smartphone

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nialler 9 has 10 or so songs on his fb page every week. Good selection but he links it from you tube and sound cloud so you can't leave the page to browse other things if on a smartphone

Ah i know all about this, check out Derek Byrnes stuff too on TXFM. Both worth a follow on twitts too.

More looking for a new music show. I like All songs considered alot. Nice format, a little chit chat about the song/artist and then the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Not sure about Film4 availability in the South, but Mistaken for Strangers (National documentary) is on tonight at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Anyone go to JaMC?

• Advertisement

Anyone go to JaMC?

someone posted this on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1_cQ5g9cw
    Hope the whole gig didnt sound this bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Anyone go to JaMC?

I was at it. It was good although there were a lot of sound problems.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just got my hands on LP1 by FKA Twigs. EP2 was fantastic, Two Weeks has been one of the best singles this year. Cannot wait to listen to it.

smacg wrote: »
    Not sure about Film4 availability in the South, but Mistaken for Strangers (National documentary) is on tonight at 11pm.

I thought this was terrible.

Basically the bother whinges that Matt is a rock star and he's not.

Boring in every way, zero insight into the band and how they work. It is as much a documentary as the beano is a graphic novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Just got my hands on LP1 by FKA Twigs. EP2 was fantastic, Two Weeks has been one of the best singles this year. Cannot wait to listen to it.

I had low expectations cos Arca was all over EP2 and isn't on LP1 at all but the album's pretty class. As good as the EP2 and twice as long.
    I thought this was terrible.

Basically the bother whinges that Matt is a rock star and he's not.

Boring in every way, zero insight into the band and how they work. It is as much a documentary as the beano is a graphic novel.
    Haven't seen it, but just because it's a documentary made by a guy who's following the National on tour doesn't mean it has to be about the National. Had no interest in it at all until I heard it was more about the loser brother, sounds heaps more relatable!

• Advertisement

I had low expectations cos Arca was all over EP2 and isn't on LP1 at all but the album's pretty class. As good as the EP2 and twice as long.

Haven't seen it, but just because it's a documentary made by a guy who's following the National on tour doesn't mean it has to be about the National. Had no interest in it at all until I heard it was more about the loser brother, sounds heaps more relatable!

I'd agree if he was any way interesting...Sure watch it and let me know, I think i've lowered expectations!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Beautiful Noise has been in the making for a few years now. Glad that it's finally seeing the light of day.

From Pitchfork
    In 2012, a film called Beautiful Noise was funded via Kickstarter—it's a documentary on seminal shoegaze artists My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, the Jesus and Mary Chain,Slowdive, Ride, Chapterhouse, Lush, Curve, Swervedriver, and others.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrlCVj5UnAE

Anyone know if this screened in Ireland or will?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I watched the film Ex-Drummer last night, a Belgian film.
    One of the songs that I liked was Blow by Ghinzu. It seemed very similar to dEUS, have a listen. (They're both from Belgium so I can understand the influence)
    Jump up to 2 mins....

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

In 2012, a film called Beautiful Noise was funded via Kickstarter—it's a documentary on seminal shoegaze artists My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins, the Jesus and Mary Chain,Slowdive, Ride, Chapterhouse, Lush, Curve, Swervedriver, and others.

Anyone know if this screened in Ireland or will?[/quote]

Hopefully!

decent line-up on Jools Holland this week
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04j5hlg

smacg wrote: »
    decent line-up on Jools Holland this week
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04j5hlg

Adams and FKA Twigs - the rest meh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Adams and FKA Twigs - the rest meh

Great to see jungle perform that live

Great to see jungle perform that live

they do nothing for me at all, apart from turn the radio down, Ann from that performance, it was more of the same. I know it's harder on a TV show but The O'Jays are probably 3 times there age and wiped the floor with them.

FKA Twigs was excellent too.

RA - good performance but not sure about the songs, need to listen to the album I guess.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

New Thom Yorke album out now, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes. Available from BitTorrent for €4.72. Haven't listened to it yet....

Here's the link

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

New Thom Yorke album out now, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes. Available from BitTorrent for €4.72. Haven't listened to it yet....

Excellent, heard nothing about it at all.

• Advertisement

huh, so you can pay for things on bittorrent now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭mosstin

Here's the link

I'm liking this. 'Interference' is gorgeous and there's another 3-4 very strong tracks on there. 'There Is No Ice (For My Drink)', however, is self-indulgent crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,727 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

He has released an album as "Daphni" in the interim.

I find Four Tet is more consistent than Caribou... the new Caribou album is a bit bland.

daUbiq wrote: »
    I find Four Tet is more consistent than Caribou... the new Caribou album is a bit bland.

Whilst I agree in general, the last Four Tet album was disappointing.

mosstin wrote: »
    Whilst I agree in general, the last Four Tet album was disappointing.

His newer stuff certainly isn't as thought provoking as his earlier albums but he's changed styles; techno\dubstep hybrid now rather than the jazzy electronica he used to favour.

Im quite liking the Voidz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I love Four Tet up to and including 'There Is Love In You', and maybe a bit of 'Pink' but not crazy about the direction he's now taking.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    I love Four Tet up to and including 'There Is Love In You', and maybe a bit of 'Pink' but not crazy about the direction he's now taking.

Same. 'There Is Love In You' is fantastic.

Advertisement