Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone / Windows 8 App recommendations

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have to say I like the speed of the WP but I'm struggling with the low quality of the apps, and the multitasking. The way apps don't update till the come to the foreground means timer apps don't work. A lot of the transport apps are missing features compared to IOS/Android apps. I assume because there's less competition.

I use bus nearby, Irish Train Times, Irish Trains. I use the Nokia App, HERE Transit a good bit. That's surprisingly useful. Seems to be more accurate than other apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

beauf wrote: »
    Have to say I like the speed of the WP but I'm struggling with the low quality of the apps, and the multitasking. The way apps don't update till the come to the foreground means timer apps don't work.

That's probably down to the individual app or apps - multitasking on WP, iOS and Android all works the same way, for the most part.
    A lot of the transport apps are missing features compared to IOS/Android apps. I assume because there's less competition.

Out of curiosity, which features?

theothernt wrote: »
    That's probably down to the individual app or apps - multitasking on WP, iOS and Android all works the same way, for the most part.

afaik and in my experience it is different. WP doesn't let all apps run in the background. Only some of them. Which is why things like battery status, and timers seems to suddenly update when they get focus. Its the reason some apps don't work on WP because they can't run in the background properly. Like music playing in the background.

Of course this is one of the reasons why WP is so fast.

Its also one of the reasons Android can slow down. You can set a hundred things off in the background and it tries to do them all, and slows to a crawl. But sometimes you want to run a specific thing in the background, and Android lets you.

This is one of the reasons Skype and Viber took so long to get to WP. Because they MS had to let them work in the background. A messaging apps that doesn't work in the background is pointless.

MS is slowly giving applications more access to background tasks.
    Out of curiosity, which features?

Simply things like looking up the timetable for tomorrow. Or journeys that do not start from my current location. Most of the train/bus/cycle apps don't let me do that or don't return any data. They assume I'm only going to something nearby or now, or today. They don't let me select a stop from a map, not a bus top number. Which I don't know unless I'm at it. But I have no problem getting an app to do that on android. Countdown timers don't work properly in the background on WP8. Neither do battery apps.

Built in apps like the HERE apps and inbuilt alarms all work fine. I really like them.

afaik and in my experience it is different. WP doesn't let all apps run in the background. Only some of them. Which is why things like battery status, and timers seems to suddenly update when they get focus. Its the reason some apps don't work on WP because they can't run in the background properly. Like music playing in the background.

Of course this is one of the reasons why WP is so fast.

Its also one of the reasons Android can slow down. You can set a hundred things off in the background and it tries to do them all, and slows to a crawl. But sometimes you want to run a specific thing in the background, and Android lets you.

This is one of the reasons Skype and Viber took so long to get to WP. Because they MS had to let them work in the background. A messaging apps that doesn't work in the background is pointless.

MS is slowly giving applications more access to background tasks.

I can see how they would be perceived a bit differently, but the basics are the same - all apps on WP, iOS and Android are suspended when you switch away from them. A separate piece of the app can do things in the background.

Android isn't strict about how the background services run so they can affect the speed of the OS over time.

WP and iOS have very strict rules about how long each service can run for, what it can do, etc which is why it's not likely to slow the phone down. WP even disables background tasks if the app hasn't been used in a while.

WP7 didn't have many, many things - that's why many exceptions were made for certain music or messaging apps so they'd work. This isn't an issue, technically in WP8. In WP8.1, there are many more ways for apps to have background services that run only when certain things happen eg. the user unlocks the screen. Hopefully you'll need newer apps take advantage of all this over the next few months.

For example: Clock and Battery apps can't update their Live Tiles any more frequently than every 30mins in WP8. In WP8.1, there's another way to do that every time a person unlocks their phone or views the start menu.
    Simply things like looking up the timetable for tomorrow. Or journeys that do not start from my current location. Most of the train/bus/cycle apps don't let me do that or don't return any data. They assume I'm only going to something nearby or now, or today. They don't let me select a stop from a map, not a bus top number. Which I don't know unless I'm at it. But I have no problem getting an app to do that on android.

Usually if all apps don't have a certain feature, even the official ones, then it usually means the data isn't available somewhere. To my knowledge, timetable data isn't available for me to reference.

As for the other feature, the next version of Bus Nearby should allow you to search anyone in Ireland for bus stops, not just your current location.

For whatever the reason. Many things just don't work on Windows Phone that do on other OS'es.

Anyway this is dragging the thread off topic. So I'll stop with another app I like on WP. System tiles. Let me set up things like a lock buttons, bluetooth and such in different colours to stand out from the default schemes.

YouTube HD I also like. It allows me to login in with a different gmail account that my gmail. I like to keep them separate. Downloads vids etc.

I really like the stock app one note. Just works so well and simply. One bugbear is the way the back button takes you out of the app rather than back a screen, from a note to the directory of notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭PaulieC

PaulieC wrote: »

Note that the Cyan + Windows Phone 8.1 is required to connect to your FitBit (due to Bluetooth LE support)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

d60b3b67-98e1-4878-8a8e-69e3b92cb6b5?imageType=ws_icon_largeCoca-cola Zero dublin bikes app

http://www.dublinbikes.ie/
    Coca-Cola Zero dublinbikes uses the geolocation and mapping functions of your smartphone in order to simplify the access to the service by informing you in real-time about the availability of stations and the status of your account.

ac8bcc0d-4f59-4262-ac22-8b18ae4bd69f?imageType=ws_icon_largeUber app

https://www.uber.com/cities/dublin
    Uber is your private driver in more than 40 countries.

・Request a ride using the app and get picked up within minutes. On-demand service means no reservations required and no waiting in taxi lines.

・Compare rates for different vehicles. Add a credit card to your secure account so you never need cash on hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

That Dublin Bikes app is such a disappointment. It is a pure port and I bet not even tested once on WP.

The entire screen doesn't fit inside the app, the sensitivity of scrolling is really poor (keeps sending me off to directions or setting up alerts).

I'm happy they recognised WP but they put no effort into it.

Uber on the other hand has a really good native app and put a lot of effort into theirs.

Davy wrote: »

This is brutal. Doesn't fit on the screen, (glumia 520) so you can't easily use the buttons on the interface. Its feels like a website not an app. Map is painfully slow. So its unusable. Which as a pity because the other features seem to work well.

I wonder did anyone actually test this on a windows phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

This is brutal. Doesn't fit on the screen, (glumia 520) so you can't easily use the buttons on the interface. Its feels like a website not an app. Map is painfully slow. So its unusable. Which as a pity because the other features seem to work well.

Same experience as me and I have a 1020 so I doubt that there was any testing done. Make sure you review it in the store.

I submitted it but its not appeared yet

The app isn't native (first bad sign is the size of the app, anything under 1MB isn't a proper app), probably PhoneGap - and doesn't fit properly on any Lumia (even a 1520!).

It's awful, lazy and cheap - make sure to give it a negative review. The 3rd party/community apps are much better made!

(it's the same as the Android version btw, except it fits on the screen)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭g0g

For anyone who isn't subscribed to MyAppFree or WPCentral, just to let you know there's an app free today (20/08/2014) called Pro Shot. Apparently it's one of the better third party camera apps, and most importantly it includes a time lapse tool which I've always wanted on the phone!

Disclaimer - I did notice quite a few comments about phone getting fairly hot using this app!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

6d393ba8-8a53-4bf6-9287-6f5eba30af16?imageType=ws_icon_largePermanent TSB
    Access permanent tsb online banking on your Windows Phone 8 device with the permanent tsb mobile banking app.
    permanent tsb customers who are registered for online banking can:
    • Check balances
    • View recent transactions
    • Pay bills
    • Transfer money
    • Find your nearest branch or ATM
    • Use the Currency Converter
    • Set up reminders
    • And lots more

c3ff141d-ce89-46a7-9d0d-1c6fd6d6575c?imageType=ws_screenshot_large&rotation=077982203-53b6-4281-8e00-4789c9c7bc61?imageType=ws_screenshot_large&rotation=0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

This is essentially a webapp; there's very little native windows phone code here. But at least an effort has been made!

For anyone banking with AIB you can either pin their mobile banking website to start or use the WebApps app in the store to do a more integrated job. Bank of Ireland do not have a mobile optimised version of their website (and no plans to create one either), so mobile options for those of us not on android or ios are very limited. Boo!

This is essentially a webapp; there's very little native windows phone code here. But at least an effort has been made

Very true, but I tested the iOS and Android version and they're all the same. So for once, Windows Phone does have the same crappy version as the other platforms :rolleyes:

This is essentially a webapp; there's very little native windows phone code here. But at least an effort has been made!

For anyone banking with AIB you can either pin their mobile banking website to start or use the WebApps app in the store to do a more integrated job. Bank of Ireland do not have a mobile optimised version of their website (and no plans to create one either), so mobile options for those of us not on android or ios are very limited. Boo!
    Probably a stupid question, but what exactly is the "WebApps app in the store" for AIB? All I've been able to do so far is log in via the mobile website.

g0g wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question, but what exactly is the "WebApps app in the store" for AIB? All I've been able to do so far is log in via the mobile website.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=49e97b4c-7715-4103-8519-066244fc9e2f

It lets you pin a website to your start screen, but more in the manner of an app than if you just used internet explorer. Eg if a service doesn't have a windows phone app yet but their mobile website is ok then it will be listed in this app so that you can pin it to your start screen.

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=49e97b4c-7715-4103-8519-066244fc9e2f

It lets you pin a website to your start screen, but more in the manner of an app than if you just used internet explorer. Eg if a service doesn't have a windows phone app yet but their mobile website is ok then it will be listed in this app so that you can pin it to your start screen.
    Thanks for that, but I'm still a bit confused. Are you saying that if AIB have a good mobile site (which they seem to) that this app will let me pin that bookmark to my start screen? Sure isn't that something I can do already?

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    Thanks for that, but I'm still a bit confused. Are you saying that if AIB have a good mobile site (which they seem to) that this app will let me pin that bookmark to my start screen? Sure isn't that something I can do already?

There is no need for that app. Visit the mobile site in Internet Explorer and pin it.

If you search for an app in the store or you are unsure, check the website of the company or contact them directly.

DO NOT rely on a 3rd party app to list what's good and bad - I have no idea who makes that app nor can I verify that list.

And apps that simply display websites can possibly watch what you're doing, record what you type, etc. So unless it's an official app (even the crappy TSB one above), please stay away from them - visit the mobile site and pin it.

There is no need for that app. Visit the mobile site in Internet Explorer and pin it.

If you search for an app in the store or you are unsure, check the website of the company or contact them directly.

DO NOT rely on a 3rd party app to list what's good and bad - I have no idea who makes that app nor can I verify that list.

And apps that simply display websites can possibly watch what you're doing, record what you type, etc. So unless it's an official app (even the crappy TSB one above), please stay away from them - visit the mobile site and pin it.

That's a pretty well established and trusted app, but yeah of course you need to be careful where you put your credentials.

The advantage to this app is that it when pinning the AIB website it creates a tidier icon, it maximises the browser window (no address bar), and there's an option to lock orientation for a site (eg deviantart). The app / website also has its own card in the task manager. All of which makes it worthwhile in my opinion.

067ece4b-5081-4587-8cca-bdbc06b6c8e0?imageType=ws_icon_large
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/find-leap/3fb39716-6643-4aaa-a112-e44b166916b0

Its nothing account related which is silly, just a topup locator

The ‘Find Leap’ App is the only app that provides the location information of top-up points for Leap Card customers across Ireland. Leap Card customers can use this app to find their nearest top-up point on a map and use this information to navigate to that location.

Features:
    • Access location information of Leap Card agents in Dublin, Cork and Galway
    • See list of Irish Rail stations where you can top-up Travel Credit
    • See list of Luas stations where you can top-up Travel Credit
    • View shops and stations on a map and navigate through the map for additional shops, stops and information.
    • Filter list of top-up points depending on whether the customer wishes to top-up Travel Credit, collect a TaxSaver ticket, or buy a Leap Card.

Please note: This app does not support NFC reloading of Leap Cards.

067ece4b-5081-4587-8cca-bdbc06b6c8e0?imageType=ws_icon_large
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/find-leap/3fb39716-6643-4aaa-a112-e44b166916b0

Its nothing account related which is silly, just a topup locator

Sadly it's only a web app - performance isn't great and it doesn't feel like a Windows Phone app at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

2a6f8ab9-5ebd-48f3-bf27-06cbcb82268d?imageType=ws_icon_large
    Video Compressor

Windows phone app. Fantastic app for converting video before sharing. One less reason to have to take out the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Icon.350820.png
    mobile.HD Media Player

Windows 8 app. Long time favourite of mine. Plays everything you can throw at it. Cannot believe the hype over VLC when this has been in the app store for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

is there an app to back up camera photos/video to a NAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Onedrive?

Works perfectly. Only seconds after taking a pic (anywhere in the world) will it be stored on your Onedrive. With your NAS being on 24/7 presumably it means you have both a cloud copy, a local copy on your NAS and a copy on your phone - all within seconds and without having to do anything.

Your NAS obviously has to have Onedrive installed on it. Not sure if that's possibly on your NAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

As I discovered during a recent trip however, Onedrive uploads are actually pretty flaky!

I was on hols and I took about 50 or so photos.
    I used the free WiFi in the hotel, and the phone began to upload photos to Onedrive, but, only got about 15 photo's through before I disabled the WiFi again.

Now, for some bizarre reason, the phone seems to think it completed it's job the first time around, and won't even try to upload the rest of the photos automatically any more.

Looking back through the past year or two, it seems this isn't the first time this has happened, so I wasn't really backed up at all!

• Advertisement

One drive always works for me. But it doesn't preserve the folder structure I have to so I stopped using it. You can probably use dropbox to do the same thing.

Advertisement